Attention, Employees

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
This has god to be the lamest update yet :(

He's not even a "demoman" anymore

THIS is why I'm disappointed. it was like the pyro before the flaregun choice.. only one way to burn people (although he's back to that sad state :( )

Having said that I do kind of like his new kit.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
I just don't follow how anyone could be disappointed by this <_<
Just because of this what was shaping up to be a meh update (i really don't like or play either of the classes) has easily easily become my most anticipated one.
I don't think about this as changing the demo class, so much as its a new class, like the rifle vs bow for the sniper to a greater extent...
The only thing I am not instantly pleased with is that some demos will no longer be the anti-sentry.

And it just occurred to me...every update has made a more dramatic change then the last...what the hell is the engie going to get? o_O

Last edited:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I guess they felt it was snazzier than a melee stick of dynamite that did damage with some self-damage, etc.

However, it's worth pointing out a lot of the same critiques could be made (and sometimes were) for other
ex. "The Sandvich detracts from the Medic, it's not a Heavy Weapon!" or "The Pyro is supposed to be like a CQB guy, why the heck does he get a long-distance gun!?"

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
I was hoping to see that swinging demolition-pack the demoman had in the first trailer.

But on the other hand demo is a powerful class already - maybe it's not the best idea to give him too many ways to blow people up.

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
ahem...bloody melee weapons!!
im afraid ill have to break my usual rule about not joining the rush of people trying the new weapons...anyone who has fought against me should know im obsessed with melee :p

Exactly, I was displeased with the Sniper/Spy's lack of new melee weapons. I mean hell, the spy was understandable but nothing for the sniper? :,(

Either way I do believe this makes up for it, however what exactly is getting replaced for the shield isn't fully explained. Pipes or stickies? :/

As for changing the class, I hardly see that as being the case. If anything, it just makes him more Scottish. :p

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
As for changing the class, I hardly see that as being the case. If anything, it just makes him more Scottish. :p

Theme should not come before gameplay. If Valve wants to explain how melee and shield fits the gameplay of a ballistic explosive class, I'd love to hear it. After all, the sandvich and other seemingly odd item choices supported the play styles for other classes. But if the reason for the change was to make him more Scottish, it is the wrong reason.

Last edited:

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I'm excited and disappointed, I know I'm going to end up using all stock loadout for the demoman because, as Shmitz said, nothing here is explosive.

For the third weapons, it's Scottish something, I bet. :p

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
I'm back from teh dead!

I'm not liking this much but I guess we'll have to see in-game. I do always want to have a more melee-focused class, but not changing the demoman's fundamentals like what we have here.

We'll see how the next few days will shape out.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
do i see people complaining, BEFORE they've played the new loadouts? for shame...

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Two more unlocks left for the demoman. I'm not worried.

Having the shield around will be useful as hell even without the sword on you...

You sure? I assumed this amounts to two unlocks, although it also looks like you have to use them at the same time, so... maybe not. :D

Ten19

L2: Junior Member
Jun 17, 2009
You sure? I assumed this amounts to two unlocks, although it also looks like you have to use them at the same time, so... maybe not. :D

Yeah, it's two unlocks. Sword = melee, Targe = stickybomb. They just work better if used in tandem.

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
"A Christmas Story" comes to mind with this. Demoman has only one eye left and is said to not have it for much longer. He's getting more weapons...

"You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Yeah, they're two separate unlocks during a single update of the Demo page. (Unlocks "1" and "2 are now links, while "3" and "?" aren't.) My reading of it says they are entirely independent, they just have some neat synergy if you strike while charging.

Valve will probably do something interesting to the control scheme so that they control a bit like a single weapon with primary and alternate fire. After all, you have no sticky bombs to detonate anymore.

I suspect equipping the shield (easier than saying "Targe" somehow) makes you automatically hold your current melee weapon in your other hand. So switching to slot 2 or to slot 3 brings up the same combination of shield+melee on your screen. If that weapon is the bottle, then--oh-well--it's just not as strong.