artpass_whark

What gametype should Whark's new map be?

• CP

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • CTF

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • PL

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
The windows and doors look fine to me.

If anything, the contrast of the uber clean wall texture next to the door & shutters might be a minor issue, but the props themselves don't appear to be any more detailed than other TF2 props. Especially when compared to the stuff in the swamp pack.

Kep

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
I've gotta agree with EArkham. I think it's the fairly clean/flat wall textures that are making the details of the props really stand out. I don't think the props themselves are too finely detailed.

Looking really nice! I'm anxious to see some other parts of the map.

Whark

L3: Member
Jul 26, 2010
I've gotta agree with EArkham. I think it's the fairly clean/flat wall textures that are making the details of the props really stand out. I don't think the props themselves are too finely detailed.

Looking really nice! I'm anxious to see some other parts of the map.

Ah gotcha. I think you guys have collectively nailed the problem down. I can toss a noisier texture on that surface or perhaps some grunge decals over the existing texture.

coagulated

L1: Registered
Aug 12, 2010
Doors and windows appear too finely detailed IMHO

Well sure, but the solution isn't to make them more simple. This is a theme which is allergic to cleanliness, I'd say just keep making the rest of the level more detailed until they fit in perfectly.

Whark

Jul 26, 2010
skysilcox_tf2_market_dir.jpg

Dirtied up the market a bit. Also changing out the back wall texture periodically. I'd like to exaggerate that particularly layered and haphazard look that the architecture of the area has.

skysilcox_tf2_artpass_market_-8-29-2010-9-08-09-PM.jpg

Taking a stab at the other end of the market area.

skysilcox_tf2_artpass_market_-8-29-2010-9-08-05-PM1.jpg

Detail of the direction I'm pushing. I'm particularly interested in keeping the lighting subtle but interesting.

skysilcox_tf2_artpass_market_-8-29-2010-9-08-14-PM.jpg

Minor tweaking to the alley leading from the main market.

Bunches more to show, no time to post.

Goombac

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 27, 2010
Looks great, but I'd say that the blue on those red mats should be a bit darker and/or paler. It draws too much attention as is.

Whark

Jul 26, 2010
Looks great, but I'd say that the blue on those red mats should be a bit darker and/or paler. It draws too much attention as is.

We will have a revision on that shortly. I think Chemical Alia is finished with her art test(s) and ready to go. The feedback has been pretty consistent on those mats. Thanks.

Chemical Alia

L2: Junior Member
Jul 22, 2010
Hey, is that the grime texture on the ground along the sides, or did you get that implemented yet? It's kind of hard to tell, but if it is, I need to make that darker.

Last edited:

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
They look tons better. Tons.

Are they still displacements? That's the only criticism I'd have (certain that in game they'd look very flat or floating). I'd go with models or overlays.

Kep

Whark

Jul 26, 2010
They look tons better. Tons.

Are they still displacements? That's the only criticism I'd have (certain that in game they'd look very flat or floating). I'd go with models or overlays.

They are displacements at the moment. I was thinking of exporting them out to Chemical Alia for scale reference and maybe replacing them with models. The overlay route could work for some.

Chemical Alia

Jul 22, 2010
Here's the new carpet textures, with some different colors and toned down contrast/saturation. I'd like to see them in the world when there's a lot more stuff around them before deciding whether the pattern itself needs to be changed, but I hope this is a little better for now. We'll try a mesh for these too, I think.

I'm working on models for the archways right now, will try to get that available asap.

1fc9bde6081811416c34b811508a5b7c6g.jpg

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
The main problem here is readability. Look around on the ground while playing tf2, the actual playable space: very plain. The materials, especially the natural materials, reflect this in terms of complexity. When you use overlays on the ground, typically stains, they're going to be probably mono or bitone, nothing complicated. If these rugs are to be on the ground they need to be a /lot/ simpler IMO. Hang them up on walls, etc, much smaller problem; but against the plainness of the sand they break up readability and don't do the material itself justice

Chemical Alia

Jul 22, 2010
The main problem here is readability. Look around on the ground while playing tf2, the actual playable space: very plain. The materials, especially the natural materials, reflect this in terms of complexity. When you use overlays on the ground, typically stains, they're going to be probably mono or bitone, nothing complicated. If these rugs are to be on the ground they need to be a /lot/ simpler IMO. Hang them up on walls, etc, much smaller problem; but against the plainness of the sand they break up readability and don't do the material itself justice

Yeah, I know what you mean. From the screenshots I've seen, I still want to go the route of having "clean rugs" and "dusty ones". The ones on the ground would show more wear and discoloration, and ideally blend a little with the sand texture (if I know that's what they're going on top of). I made one before, based on the old texture, but haven't seen it in the game yet and think it might be too dark/noisy. I'll make a new one with the mesh so we can see how it looks on the ground.

Whark

Jul 26, 2010
I made one before, based on the old texture, but haven't seen it in the game yet and think it might be too dark/noisy. I'll make a new one with the mesh so we can see how it looks on the ground.

This shot has the worn one on the ground. (disclaimer: the red one is the old one.)

skysilcox_tf2_artpass_market_-8-29-2010-9-08-14-PM.jpg

market0003.jpg

Last edited:

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
the alcove the the stall infront sits in look weird, being half wood and half wall, it looks wonky or uneven. I'm not sure if these textures here are temp or not or if the screenshot is old etc.

Whark

Jul 26, 2010
the alcove the the stall infront sits in look weird, being half wood and half wall, it looks wonky or uneven. I'm not sure if these textures here are temp or not or if the screenshot is old etc.

yea its a WIP. I'm in the process of changing the geometry in that area. Its good to get that feedback though as it will effect what ends up being there.

Goombac

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 27, 2010
Not sure if you're planning on this, but it might be cool if you added some doors and extra space behind a few of the stalls.