artpass_whark

What gametype should Whark's new map be?

• CP

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • CTF

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • PL

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters

Whark

L3: Member
Jul 26, 2010
Not sure if you're planning on this, but it might be cool if you added some doors and extra space behind a few of the stalls.

That's a good idea. The one of the left is by an 8 unit thick wall that separates this space from CP A. That one will be a problem. The one at the end could maybe gain some. Here's a shot with what is on the opposite sides right now.

cp_market_archhall_location-copy.jpg

Jan 20, 2010
I think if one of the prop doors are not directly in view of the other, having a door that WOULD empty into an odd space isn't much of a problem as players don't really think into details like that if they are far enough away from each other... if you know what I mean. :p

Whark

Jul 26, 2010
Updated the back alley market by adding some space around stalls and some doors for the illusion of space.

market_backup0004.jpg

market_backup0010.jpg

Chemical Alia

L2: Junior Member
Jul 22, 2010
I think if one of the prop doors are not directly in view of the other, having a door that WOULD empty into an odd space isn't much of a problem as players don't really think into details like that if they are far enough away from each other... if you know what I mean. :p

Yeah, and even from a "practical" standpoint, old places tend to have a lot of doors and walls that remain from older structures, that either lead to nowhere or have parts covered by new additions, etc. As long as it feels right, it can add to the "history" of the place, if you'd like to think of it that way.

Whark

Jul 26, 2010
market_backup0007.jpg

Got a WIP arch from Chemical Alia (final textures pending)

market_backup0023.jpg

Added a door behind the table to infer a bigger space than really exists.

market_backup0028.jpg

Started experimenting with some more granular details in this interior space paying special attention to "weighting" prop placement for player flow.

market_backup0024.jpg

Chemical Alia

Jul 22, 2010
Wow, that area is really turning out nicely! I really want to see how it'll look with some ad/poster/sign decals on some of the walls.

Here's one of the arch meshes I've been working on. I'll adjust the colors as necessary once I can see it in the level, it's always a fun surprise v: Diffuse texture is 1024, normal is 512.

ad01246d54b126ca5dcc8ceab7b2b6376g.jpg

Whark

Jul 26, 2010
Updated Shots of above arch in game. I'll toss some decals on the walls to get an idea of how it can look.

market_backup20003.jpg

market_backup20004.jpg

market_backup20003.jpg

Crawling ever closer to CP C!

market_backup20002.jpg

Note: what's in the room behind the arch is literally a pile of random shit. I usually make a huge mess then strip back what's not needed.

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
Love the progress, but I'm not sold on the arches. First, I think the Red/White and Blue/White textures are too high-contrast and naturally draw far too much attention to themselves. Second, the arches don't at all seem to match the style of the brushwork arches seen in the earlier screenshots like this one:

skysilcox_market_whitebox_yardclose.jpg

The arch on the left of that screen seems to far better fit the architectural style I think you're going for. The new archway models remind me more of renaissance Italy... or circus tents.

Overall it's still looking great though! How's the rest of the map beyond these hallways coming?

Chemical Alia

Jul 22, 2010
Love the progress, but I'm not sold on the arches. First, I think the Red/White and Blue/White textures are too high-contrast and naturally draw far too much attention to themselves. Second, the arches don't at all seem to match the style of the brushwork arches seen in the earlier screenshots like this one:

The arch on the left of that screen seems to far better fit the architectural style I think you're going for. The new archway models remind me more of renaissance Italy... or circus tents.

Overall it's still looking great though! How's the rest of the map beyond these hallways coming?

mosque.jpg

arcade.jpg

IMG_9806p.jpg

73c68ced2d8a617ff0f61de64fa852d86g.jpg

Well, striped arches like this are typical of the Umayyad Arabic architectural style and can be found in many countries (one of the most famous being the Great Mosque of Cordoba in Spain, pictured above. If anything, I think it could be argued that the style is more associated with northwest Africa than Egypt, but my art history classes only went so far and I'm by no means an expert on the subject.

I really do like the arches and I'd hate to lose the stripes (and even the intensity of them) unless there was a resounding consensus against them for gameplay reasons or general confusion of how they are read by the audience. Though I'm sure Sky will make the right decision with them.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
I'd quite like the arches more if the colour was faded slightly and matched the walls around them.

Whark

Jul 26, 2010
..the arches don't at all seem to match the style of the brushwork arches seen in the earlier screenshots like this one:

The arch on the left of that screen seems to far better fit the architectural style I think you're going for.

We do have plans for both a pointed arch and a horseshoe arch to go with the semicircular one.

ogival_tn.jpg

Maybe the semiculuar one isn't reading correctly.

I have some progress in other areas. I usually shoot out and place some props or make some rough geometry outside in between polishing the areas that everyone has seen so many times. I have just started to start getting a first iteration of Red's hidden command center which has been set up at the end of the market.

market_backup200041.jpg

market_backup20012.jpg

market_backup200021.jpg

Last edited:

Whark

Jul 26, 2010
I'd quite like the arches more if the colour was faded slightly and matched the walls around them.

Alia has you covered now :) Is this more toward the direction you mean?

market_backup20007.jpg

market_backup20010.jpg

market_backup20013.jpg

I have another more desaturated version as well.

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
that looks sooooo muuuuuuch better :)
i love how your stuff finally comes together. was kinda sceptic after the first round of updates but now you're at it ! but oh boy, you have an assload of work to do :D

what i was wondering. is only the red/white stripes of the arch a model and the bottom parts brushwork ? cause either it has weird shadows casting where the 2 parts connect. or it's stained texturework :D
either way, it look some shadow error, so i'd fix that anyways !
oh and there's this weird texture stretch on the left side of the arch, whereas the right side looks perfectly fine. Fix this :D

one thing that bugs me is the stuff you have going on on the upper part of the scenery. you've got that stuff at player height nailed wonderfully but as soon as my eyes move up it's like, messy, busy randomness :eek:
I'd rather have some more open view to the scenery behind it (some nifty skybox action) or if that's not what you're aiming for - less detail, it should more fade out and not be that dense in detail, e.g. not 6 different textures on the buildings but only 2-3. I think you get the point :)

edit: oh and, what is up with that weird moved sideways doublearch on this picture ?

http://www.skysilcox.com/dev-blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/market_backup20007.jpg

that can't be how people build their stuff in these years :eek:

Whark

Jul 26, 2010
what i was wondering. is only the red/white stripes of the arch a model and the bottom parts brushwork ? cause either it has weird shadows casting where the 2 parts connect. or it's stained texturework

ad01246d54b126ca5dcc8ceab7b2b6376g.jpg

It's definitely the texture. We'll have to adjust that.

one thing that bugs me is the stuff you have going on on the upper part of the scenery. you've got that stuff at player height nailed wonderfully but as soon as my eyes move up it's like, messy, busy randomness :eek:

I'd rather have some more open view to the scenery behind it (some nifty skybox action) or if that's not what you're aiming for - less detail, it should more fade out and not be that dense in detail, e.g. not 6 different textures on the buildings but only 2-3. I think you get the point :)

Gotcha. Makes sense. Looking at it now it is quite overboard. I felt something was wrong but couldn't nail it down. I think I've spend too much time focusing on that area and stopped being able to see it.

edit: oh and, what is up with that weird moved sideways doublearch on this picture ?

market_backup0011.jpg

I see it now that you've pointed it out to me. Before when it was brushwork the arch fit inside the other (similar the shot above).

market_backup20007.jpg

I actually got the idea from reference that I'd seen but putting the prop in pushed it over so it no longer fits. I'll just delete that outer one now. Thanks.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
From the front, the wood border makes it look like it is inset or outset from the stone... I dunno. Look into that maybe?

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
Well, I stand corrected about the arches not fitting the architectural style. Glad to see you faded the texture though, the high contrast between the Red and White really drew a lot of attention.

Really cool stuff. Even if you don't win the contest I'd love to see another map with this theme.

coagulated

L1: Registered
Aug 12, 2010

Wowww, this map is looking really nice. A serious contender fer shure. There's just one thing about the above pic that really bugs me, the haphazard placement of the log beams is kind of unsettling for some reason. Maybe it's because they seem too skewed towards the right, or maybe it's just the random placement in general. Either way I think you shouldn't allow for very much offset placement of architectural details, and instead let the architecture itself convey a sense of disorder.

Gotcha. Makes sense. Looking at it now it is quite overboard. I felt something was wrong but couldn't nail it down. I think I've spend too much time focusing on that area and stopped being able to see it.

Nooooooooooooooooo don't listen to this guy. Your amount of detail is nearly perfect right now, too little and your theme runs the risk of becoming too neutral. Like egypt.

I guess you do need some balance between upper detail and eye level detail though, but I'd strongly recommend more detailing at eye level rather than the alternative, your choice.

Last edited:

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
The more faded striped arches looks much better, although I still might say that you'd need to rough them up a bit so they aren't so clean.

The colored part also doesn't seem to match the base. Both the texture shadow and the wood border are working against you. I know its because of your source material (actual arches) but here it just looks bad.