artpass_whark

What gametype should Whark's new map be?

• CP

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • CTF

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • PL

Votes: 19 45.2%

• Total voters

nexusdog

L1: Registered
Jan 18, 2010
IS THAT WHAT I THINK IT IS

I'm trying to think of some names for business, events, etc. that I can make signs and posters out of in a bit. So far I have come up with these:

The Screaming Monkey Antiques and Consignment
Oasis Plumbing

lol so if anyone has a raging desire to suggest something, I'd love to hear it.

The Djinn joint or Djinn palace?

Simski

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2010
I propose that the death pit be filled with poisonous snakes.

I considered that, as it would perhaps be rather fitting the theme...
However I decided against suggesting it, as it would probably need animations to be believable, and with animations it take a lot of work and would probably be terribly distracting.

Chemical Alia

Jul 22, 2010
I considered that, as it would perhaps be rather fitting the theme...
However I decided against suggesting it, as it would probably need animations to be believable, and with animations it take a lot of work and would probably be terribly distracting.

The idea is hilarious and awesome, but the idea of animating that is the opposite of both. I hate animating, ugh.

The Djinn joint or Djinn palace?

I like that, it's cute!

Here's a new ad, I saved it as a 512 but it could probably go down to a 256 since I imagine it'd be on a relatively small sheet of paper.

0023d0e69d3aa77393cf071bcdef42706g.jpg

Chemical Alia

Jul 22, 2010
I also did a real generalized paintover of the buildings of B (still haven't touched the rest). I wanted to suggest some ideas for how the architecture can be handled to transition it to a more Arabic theme, since some parts like the shed are particularly western-looking. I was watching some Raiders of the Lost Ark for inspiration, and feel like if he can incorporate some more Egyptian-type stuff behind the area and make a few modifications where necessary, the styles can blend.

Tonight I'll work on some more quick paintover stuff to try and get a few more ideas out, and any thoughts are absolutely welcome as usual.

9658e4138ac8ef695799e595781cc3d76g.jpg

Whark

L3: Member
Jul 26, 2010
Oh yea, I did a quick blockout experiment from that last night after work.

Untitled%20picture.jpg

I've expanded on that idea bit but don't have shots yet. I don't think opening Hammer at work is a good idea..

Chemical Alia

Jul 22, 2010
Oh yea, I did a quick blockout experiment from that last night after work.

Untitled%20picture.jpg

I've expanded on that idea bit but don't have shots yet. I don't think opening Hammer at work is a good idea..

Lol, those resized log pieces really come in handy. Totally break out Hammer at work, it'll keep them on their toes! I think I'd get fired for that.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
You could try making some things tents, or just making basic wooden structures -- very minimal ones.

Watching scenes from The Mummy or Indiana Jones would probably be a good idea. The Mummy more so because it is pretty ridiculous and I feel like that'd translate into TF2 better.

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
I like the paintover, but you may want to work on altering the roof architecture of B a bit more to fit your map style, the angled farm type roofs seem pretty out of place compared with everything else so far.

Chemical Alia

Jul 22, 2010
I like the paintover, but you may want to work on altering the roof architecture of B a bit more to fit your map style, the angled farm type roofs seem pretty out of place compared with everything else so far.

I'd love for the roof shape to be altered for obvious aesthetic reasons, and Sky was planning on doing that to the other similar shed in the map. But our concern is for the gameplay. If snipers, pyros, etc. can't hide behind the slant of the roof in its current shape, it changes things pretty considerably as it's right on a CP 0:

nexusdog

L1: Registered
Jan 18, 2010
Wondered if you'd considered including a nod at Casablanca?

casablanca.jpg

casablanca03.jpg

The entrance is only a recessed wall with a bit of brush work as one option...

MV5BMTgxOTE5NjcwMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTA4NDI2._V1._SX450_SY335_-350x260.jpg

... or continue with a modified interior for further interest, maybe?

611561096_c481ce6354.jpg

Someone actually recreated the location in Morocco, although front differs from movie set version with had the 'pointed' arch effect, not a round one.

Might be useful for inspiration?

rickscafe

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
I'd love for the roof shape to be altered for obvious aesthetic reasons, and Sky was planning on doing that to the other similar shed in the map. But our concern is for the gameplay. If snipers, pyros, etc. can't hide behind the slant of the roof in its current shape, it changes things pretty considerably as it's right on a CP 0:

Take a look at some of the other entries. Some people have made some fairly significant changes to the architecture. I know you don't want to take things too far, but I really think you need to take the leap and change up B a bit as well as the side building off of the Blu spawn. Also consider changing those two awkward ramps across from A into a single ramp/platform combo. I've seen a few other entries that are doing this and I think it makes a heck of a lot more sense.

From the rules: YES you can change props. YES you can edit the gameplay slightly, it just needs to be obviously this map, no making new routes. You have a LOT of creative liberty, use it!

Based on that I'd say you've got the freedom to really change some things for the betterment of your aesthetic.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
I also did a real generalized paintover of the buildings of B (still haven't touched the rest). I wanted to suggest some ideas for how the architecture can be handled to transition it to a more Arabic theme, since some parts like the shed are particularly western-looking. I was watching some Raiders of the Lost Ark for inspiration, and feel like if he can incorporate some more Egyptian-type stuff behind the area and make a few modifications where necessary, the styles can blend.

Tonight I'll work on some more quick paintover stuff to try and get a few more ideas out, and any thoughts are absolutely welcome as usual.

9658e4138ac8ef695799e595781cc3d76g.jpg

You can go a lot more original with the shed. The other parts looks brilliant. Adjust the gameplay a bit if you have to, but that shed needs to be completely reworked for the theme. Just keep these elements: 3 rather large entrances (sounds like my girlfriend), a roof that can be hid behind, and an entrance through the top.

Also use dropbox instead of mediafire

Chemical Alia

Jul 22, 2010
New shots are really coming along!

I was looking up some photo references that might help you out with the roof of CP B, if you want to consider some other ways to provide the same kind of cover but change it up. I didn't exactly find any perfect solutions for you, but I found some neat shots that might be helpful either for that or just in general in the blue/more industrial area. (some won't let me hotlink)

Check out the roof on this mosque, which appears to have been constructed with bsp.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bencito_traveller/4795553046/sizes/l/in/photostream/

Egyptian-011-748373.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkannenberg/4662647583/

1403131043_48835733f6_o.jpg

4662647583_2e00dd79fc_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bencito_traveller/4795560986/sizes/l/in/photostream/

And don't you have an awesome cart to show?

Last edited:

Chemical Alia

Jul 22, 2010
I think the house on the left would look much better as a tent.

I can kinda see that, actually. But why would there be a random huge tent within the city walls in like, a business/industrial kind of neighborhood?

I think Sky said cp_egypt has a tent model which would be neat for the outskirts or whatever.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
The tents are just triangular prisms, though, not something you can go inside.

Also consider just some tent poles holding up a gazebo-like structure, maybe?

Chemical Alia

Jul 22, 2010
The tents are just triangular prisms, though, not something you can go inside.

Also consider just some tent poles holding up a gazebo-like structure, maybe?

That sounds pretty awesome, I can look into some references like that. I think that a tent seems kind of a stereotypical solution for something in that place, considering the purpose of all the other buildings and the map in general (it's not like, an archeology-inspired map like Egypt).

I still have a couple of essential assets to make this week, and as there's only one week left, I need to put the art in where it counts the most so it will really depend on that. I know whark wants to change up this building a lot more than the other one in particular, since it's sort of just randomly sitting there and not as important.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Well, what if you made the shack a larger market stall type of thing? A square layout of tables, poles holding up some cloth, and various stuff to block bullets into the shack? You'd have the same functionality without it looking like a weird little house. Whark might have some ideas about this that could help you, I dunno how much of a team design effort this is.

There's a part of Resident Evil 5 where you're next to a large body of water and in an old market area. If you blow part of it up, you can get some treasure or something. The stall I am imagining is pretty much like the centerpiece to this, if you know what I am talking about. I tried to find it in some Let's Plays but I just don't remember enough to know where it is in the game.

I don't know if the market should or will be extending back that far, but I think it could work if you guys are willing to try!

Last edited by a moderator: