CP artpass_swordz

Swordz

L5: Dapper Member
Jun 27, 2009
Not everyone is going to hold your hand. You need to take all feedback, even if it's negative.

Yeah, but i wasn't expecting feedback from that image, since i almost didn't touched that part of the map.

Now please let's stop with the offtopic, it's kinda sad to have the thread with most posts but most of them are offtopic lolololo

I will post pics of the point A and the blue respawn later, almost finished them

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
Updated the screenshots.

Some notes:

I wanted to post pics from the control point A but there's still much thing to do there.
There's a truck carrying australium running behind the control point B
Also i almost posted pics from the blu spawn room but it's still too ugly inside there.

since i can't add 7 screenshots on the first post here's the last one

dwxnjs.jpg

Still need to clean some things in that area

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
Still need to clean some things in that area

yeh, i was just going to say that. that ceiling looks "a tad" overdetailled :D
really busy and enormous. definately work on that some more !

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
yeh, i was just going to say that. that ceiling looks "a tad" overdetailled :D
really busy and enormous. definately work on that some more !

It doesn't look too bad if you look from the ground btw ^^

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
that's way to busy. and by "way" i don't mean "from your bed to your desk" but "from newyork to uzbekistan"
it looks totally confusing and you can't even tell what is what. i'd say you need to reconsider this scene quite a bit.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
What's with all the text over the images? It's kinda unnecassery, any lack of detail goes without saying that you're still developing it and if you were stuck you'd get good quality feedback from this community.

Secondly. Good details does not = tons of props. It looks like you've just smacked a whole load of props into the level and onto the walls.

There's almost no scene consistancy and subsequently no narrative (demonstrated through a strict theme) to immerse players in your environment. It's spytech, desert and industrial blended together.

Tips:

Progression. Players understand map progression through the changes in their environment. This equates to:

"Initial area" = Almost neutral scene with hints of RED occupation through huts and scattered equipment. This usually consists of, but not limited to, organic out doors areas. It will warrant use of plants and rocks in combination with nature textures such as cliffs, dirt and water.

"Secondary area" = more significant presence of structures. This will be where players assimilate your maps theme through the more suggestive detail objects. What they are fighting over and possibly why. Oil, coal, supplies, communication??? This will dictate wooden and metal structures that litter the edge of a base, normally setup for maintenance or labour.

"final area" = Largely spytech or industrial in style, usually a HQ or resource focal point and location of the primary objective.The secret base, normally located deep under ground and far from prying eyes. You will use spytech and industrial models here, concrete and metal textures.

edited for better summary.

Last edited:

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
What's with all the text over the images? It's kinda unnecassery, any lack of detail goes without saying that you're still developing it and if you were stuck you'd get good quality feedback from this community.

Secondly. Good details does not = tons of props. It looks like you've just smacked a whole load of props into the level and onto the walls.

There's almost no scene consistancy and subsequently no narrative (demonstrated through a strict theme) to immerse players in your environment. It's spytech, desert and industrial blended together.

Tips:

Progression. Players understand map progression through the changes in their environment. This equates to:

"Initial area" = Almost neutral scene with hints of RED occupation through huts and scattered equipment. This usually consists of, but not limited to, organic out doors areas. It will warrant use of plants and rocks in combination with nature textures such as cliffs, dirt and water.

"Secondary area" = more significant presence of structures. This will be where players assimilate your maps theme through the more suggestive detail objects. What they are fighting over and possibly why. Oil, coal, supplies, communication??? This will dictate wooden and metal structures that litter the edge of a base, normally setup for maintenance or labour.

"final area" = Largely spytech or industrial in style, usually a HQ or resource focal point and location of the primary objective.The secret base, normally located deep under ground and far from prying eyes. You will use spytech and industrial models here, concrete and metal textures.

Thanks for the tips, i also thought it was strange the desert + industrial + wood things

I have started detailing the final area, like you said it's a spytech thing, yet i'm trying to fix that overdetailed celiing hehe

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
I'm texturing everything again, i've redone most of the structures, according to what grazr said, and everything is looking better! I just don't know what to do with CP A, that is still using the normal concrete texture.

The building at the right of the CP A: instead of changing it to wood, i've created a dirty concrete texture, and made that building look like it was abandoned, due to the BLU invasion, i've even created a notice sign. Also the entrances are (were) sealed with wood.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here's the rest: (nothing is completed)

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
On no official posters does Valve use the TF fonts. TF fonts are more for menus and such. Also, the big block of text would distract me...

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
Huge update:

es0znt.jpg

I don't know what to do with the wood part of the control point, should i change it to gorge-style or try to do something with the wood? It's supposed to be a garage.

Still need to fix the ropes and mess with a few things there

4pwa2r.jpg

I'm almost done here, just need to change some textures and change a few things

16jfxf.jpg

Ugly-ass Australium mine, yes the cars run (there's 2)

2zdwwas.jpg

This is behind the control point B. I'm trying to do something from the Loose Cannon comic from Valve.

I'm pleased with the results, but it still doesn't look OK for me

Oh, and i made a custom skybox.

Last edited:

tovilovan

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 23, 2008
Once again, more props does NOT equal better detail! That much props and overlays in an area where the player can't go will either 1. act as a distraction or 2. go unnoticed. Try keeping it clean, look at what valve have done to the unreachable areas, and keep it at a similar level. No need to overdo it!

Swordz

Jun 27, 2009
ddgg7l.jpg

Map is finished, took hours to compile the map, and saw this

I WANT TO KILL MYSELF

a light texture suddenly appeared behind it.