Artpass_Ritz

Ritz

L2: Junior Member
Aug 24, 2009
I finally decided on a smaller, simpler design for the are around BLU spawn; although it's taking me ages to build.
Blu_factory_1.png

More:
garage.png

Last edited:

Pie Cake

L1: Registered
Jul 31, 2010
Looks simple and cool. How do you make those tiny colored designs? Do you use a 3d app?

Moose

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 4, 2009
Everything I've seen so far looks incredibly good. You're doing some different things, and it all fits perfectly. My only real complaint is that a few of those roofs seem a couple units too thick.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I have to say, you've used a great deal of creativity and custom content in this entry. Personal favorite.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
Ritz you fool, why are your shitz so damn cool?

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
ATTENTION! I have just discovered a Source engine feature you may want to make use of. It's called "nocull", and it lets you make paper-thin walls that sort of "glow" from the inside where the outside light hits them, like real cloth or paper would. I discovered this when I noticed the 2fort sniper deck prop was glowing from the darkened side and went to hunt down the cause. If your tent is a prop, you can convert the walls to have no thickness and then use this on it.

One caveat is that this will not affect the shadows inside the tent, which in real life would of course also have a faint yellow glow to them. You'll need to add some kind of lighting to simulate this — preferably some very thin func_illusionary light brushes just inside the brightest-glowing walls.

Ritz

Aug 24, 2009
It's outside BLU spawn:
itshere.png

And now, gentlemen, I need your help.
halp.png

I am totally stuck on what to do with this wall (the huge red one) and would love to hear any ideas.

It needs to be:
Tall (can't jump over it)
Solid (can't see/shoot through it)

And should probably be:
Natural or Neutral and low tech

It can expand out at the top and at the Blu end, however the Red side needs to stay pretty much straight.

I've included a rough overview of the map and a few images I'm using as reference for the location, anyone got any good ideas?

Gerbil

aa
Feb 6, 2009
+1 to what rexy said.

The thin wall might be annoying, but as soon as you find a good idea it's simple to work with it. Sadly I don't have any ideas for you now Ritz. But I'm sure you'll find a way to make it look good.

Penguin

Clinically Diagnosed with Small Mapper's Syndrome
aa
May 21, 2009
large strip-mined cliffface with fossils exposed

Nov 14, 2009
A lot of people I have seen have converted that wall into a cliff face.

However, im actually making it taller, and thinner and building offices on top. And cutting windows into it.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
I am thinking... giant t-rex fossil.

With lasers in the eyes.

A MECHA T-REX FOSSIL.

And it launches sharks instead of rockets.

Kep

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I was stumped too until I realized the left half could just be extended towards BLU's spawn more and turned into buildings. It's not like the size of that side yard is vital to gameplay. The right half I made into an inaccessible part of the building with the cables and the giant shelving unit. As soon as I've got enough presentable areas to post my thread (should be by sometime tomorrow), you can see what I mean.

Ritz

Aug 24, 2009
Building into BLU's side really makes it a lot easier, I've finally got some idea of what to do.

In other news, here's a crate.
crate_mv.JPG

And here's a Pyro enjoying said crate.
ritz0002.png