Art pass entry appreciation thread (image heavy)

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
If nobody learnt anything whilst doing this they didn't try hard enough.

Even if you didn't win/get an honourable mention you still got something valueble. Whether you choose to accept the value of experience or not is another thing.

We do this because we enjoy it, if you feel short changed, well, the writing was black and white from the start, it was always a gamble.

As i've already said else where, this contest has produced excellent custom content, models, and unique approaches TF2 we can all learn from.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
BECAUSE I AM LAZY AND IT IS MONDAY I JUST PASTE MY OLD POST FROM ARTPASS FAVORITES THREAD!

artpass_spud-final1.jpg

Dr.Spud

Spud had really good and strong theme that he used well. Map end up looking really good and made me wish that i would live in there. Point C had pretty cool (and funny, i have to say) idea, that was well made. Spytech parts are top notch and optimization is good. I see no reason why this wouldn't win whole contest.

artpass_ym0000.jpg

YM

I say right away that this is my favorite entry in entire contest. When i first saw it, it look pretty boring and felt like it had unfitting theme for TF2. My god i was wrong, in the end YM had really solid good looking entry with unique theme. All 3 points were interesting and well made, also, i love whole Redmont Mann thing as a detail and as part of map storyline. This is artpass that will be example to others.

artpass_grazr0022.jpg

Grazr

No doubt best use of farm theme in artpass contest and it looks glorious. The dawn is really good effect that bring some life to map, and non-gameplay area detail is best one in this contest. One of the two entries that made me wish i live in TF2 world, really well made, last point is unique and there is no way you can forget that pumpkin once you seen it.
Also..... I <3 Haybales :wow:

artpass_re1wind_60008.jpg

re1wind

This map brings some new life to good old mining theme. It has some interesting architecture and some really cool control points. Bit like YM entry, at start it looked like something that is not going to end up on my favorites, now it is one of my favorites. Even tough some spots have some overkill with lightning, map really looks damn good. If re1wind doesn't win this he still should make new map using this theme, i like it, i like it a lot.

artpass_mangyj0003_3.jpg

MagnyCarface
This map is good, it has amazing 3d skybox that really brings some life to map.
Spytech is not good as it could be but last point saves it. Some parts of the map were really clever, i liked how shed from orginal valve's artpass turn into silo and some stairwells pile of grain or sand.
In the end, all i have left to say is... Magny, you have done it again.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
Sweet.. Will we get a PM/email or should we all make sure our steam IDs are updated in our profiles?

I don't know. I'm out of the loop. All I know is there's a pin somewhere and I've seen about 4 different designs of it.

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
If only you insiders would stop teasing the mob....
All this "I've heard/read/received mail of..."

MAKES MES SICKS S!!

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
I was kidding, folks, I'd love to see a neat little TF2Maps pin in-game, for all the contributors to the contest (including the people who gave feedback? :D).

I do really love the work produced in this contest, but am also really looking forward to one where people can edit the actual gameplay themselves.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
I don't know. I'm out of the loop. All I know is there's a pin somewhere and I've seen about 4 different designs of it.

Pin should totally contain a tiny, (simplified), model of that submitter's map. :thumbup:

Jun 19, 2009
If nobody learnt anything whilst doing this they didn't try hard enough.

Even if you didn't win/get an honourable mention you still got something valueble. Whether you choose to accept the value of experience or not is another thing.

We do this because we enjoy it, if you feel short changed, well, the writing was black and white from the start, it was always a gamble.

As i've already said else where, this contest has produced excellent custom content, models, and unique approaches TF2 we can all learn from.

Not sure who you were directing that at, but I know I learned a lot of stuff making this, but still, a month of work deserves SOME credit I guess.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
I was kidding, folks, I'd love to see a neat little TF2Maps pin in-game, for all the contributors to the contest (including the people who gave feedback? :D).

I believe that those that took part in the Artpass Contest - be it entering in a final version or not (like that Egypt market guy) and anybody that was directly related to the outcome of any entries (Chemical Alia or Rexy, for example) should get a pin (And Edge too since he has clipchecked artpass_ym and is going to clipcheck artpass_3dnj >.>)

Pc_Madness

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 31, 2009
I believe that those that took part in the Artpass Contest - be it entering in a final version or not (like that Egypt market guy) and anybody that was directly related to the outcome of any entries (Chemical Alia or Rexy, for example) should get a pin (And Edge too since he has clipchecked artpass_ym and is going to clipcheck artpass_3dnj >.>)

Theres gotta be hundreds of entries though that didn't get submitted, and not all of em specified a Steam ID's in their profiles (and they weren't warned to either). You'd end up with a heap of whingers saying how they didn't get it with lots of back and forth trying to fix it all up.

But if there was going to be an exception to that rule, Whark would deserve it. :)

Khuntza

L4: Comfortable Member
Dec 29, 2009
Theres gotta be hundreds of entries though that didn't get submitted, and not all of em specified a Steam ID's in their profiles (and they weren't warned to either). You'd end up with a heap of whingers saying how they didn't get it with lots of back and forth trying to fix it all up.

But if there was going to be an exception to that rule, Whark would deserve it. :)

I agree.. if it happens it should be for those who actually submitted entries, with very few exceptions. Easy for me to say as an entrant, I know.

Obviously, Rexy gets it for his work with YM. Perhaps only as hes a contributor to a winning map. I'm sure there are a bunch of faceless contributors that have the odd texture or model included in a submission or two, it would be a nightmare if every one came outta the wood work.

Whark and Chemical Alia, although I love the work they did, never actually submitted an entry. Easily the biggest disappointment of the contest. It would be nice to see them get a pin, but it does open the door for everyone else who never entered to put their hands out and say 'me too'.

Clip checking and giving feedback, as useful as that is, could be considered a valid contribution but it doesn't really compare to the hours/commitment/sacrifice put in by everyone who submitted an entry. There has to a line drawn somewhere.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
Clip checking and giving feedback, as useful as that is, could be considered a valid contribution but it doesn't really compare to the hours/commitment/sacrifice put in by everyone who submitted an entry. There has to a line drawn somewhere.
I was being sarcastic about the clipchecking-should-give-me-a-medal part.

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
To be fair, why keep back on pins (if they even get made)? For Polycount, people who gave a lot of feedback and/or didn't finish got their greenteeth as well, as far as I know. It'd be pretty rad to be able to see regular forumites being recognizable, imo.

Jun 19, 2009
To be fair, why keep back on pins (if they even get made)? For Polycount, people who gave a lot of feedback and/or didn't finish got their greenteeth as well, as far as I know. It'd be pretty rad to be able to see regular forumites being recognizable, imo.

Really if that is how it was going to be, than I say the "feedback-ers" should be classified as anyone who posted feedback on every single artpass entry. That way you are sure they spent a lot of time on all of them instead of just commenting on the big names.

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
You realize that there's over 100 artpass threads,* right? Only 54 of those went into the final collection.

*If I recall correctly, it was 150ish when I last counted, which was three weeks before the deadline, and several maps showed up after that point.
Edit: there are 122.