1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

Arena rocks

Discussion in 'Textures' started by VelvetFistIronGlove, Aug 22, 2008.

1. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    Here are the textures to reskin the large rock models from props_mining to fit the alpine theme: DOWNLOAD

Alpine Rocks The props_mining rocks, reskinned for alpine environments.
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 10
  2. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Nice job, looks like they fit perfectly!

3. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Nice job indeed.

4. Arhurt

Arhurt L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    And I thought you where complimenting the Arena mode :p

But seriously nice job, I'm gonna use them on aerospace, I thanked you :)

5. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    My brain must've been off. I meant "alpine rocks", of course.

6. Nineaxis

aa Nineaxis Quack Doctor

Positive Ratings:
    ...how do we install these?

7. ChronoTriggerFan

ChronoTriggerFan L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Velvet your doing it wrong. You have to go into the GCF (TF2 Content) , search the file name of the model, but put a wildcard for the extension (like rock001*). then, you extract those files, and also get the materials for them in the TF2 materials GCF.

You have to rename all of those to something, but they must still retain the same character amount. like rock001 would become rock01a or rck001. Also don't forget the filename in the vmt.

Now you need a hex editor. I'm currently using XVI. So you need to open up the .mdl file (like rock01a.mdl or whatever) and edit 2 things.
    1. The top of it, you should see a filename. change it to the one you changed yours to.
    2. near the bottom, you will see some material paths. particularly you need to change the thing after body, to the new filename you chose.

Then all you have to do is install the files in the corresponding folders. so lets say i took those rocks out of props mining (i think you did). you would go to the models folder in tf, then make a new folder called props_mining. put all of your files in there, save the vmt and the vtf. Now for the textures, you would go to tf/materials/models/props_mining same steps as before, and put them in there.

I was writing a tutorial on this, but my test model became invalid for reasons unknown, so expect a better write up in the future...

8. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Was this mainly just a change of hue? I would think the creation of these would have made an awesome tutorial for people like myself who don't know a how lot about model skinning etc.

9. Vander

Vander L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    <----agrees with the Moose.

10. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks to CTF for telling me the problems with just replacing the materials. So I've reskinned the models themselves, to go in props_forest: get them here

11. Koei

Koei L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    If I put 'm there and use them in my map, do I have to do anything special when compiling?

12. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1