Alien Swarm - New non-FPS Valve game out Monday!

PenPen

L5: Dapper Member
Apr 24, 2008
Pretty fun, but ammo runs out really easily if you don't control it well. And if you got a parasite on you, somehow everyone decides to beat you up instead. Eh.

BagOfChips

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 7, 2009
Untitled-1.jpg

Is it just me or does this look oddly familiar to the MGS/MGS4 lift drop when going down after fighting all the genome soldiers on it to where REX is being held. Lol. As soon as I saw it that was the first thing I thought of. It's just missing the computer node on the bottom most part of the machinery.

Lots of games have big lifts.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
Pretty fun, but ammo runs out really easily if you don't control it well. And if you got a parasite on you, somehow everyone decides to beat you up instead. Eh.
the ammo depletion makes a squad teammate carrying an ammo box even that more valuable.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Open Tilegen, click Generate. Booooom, maps! :)
Yeah, it's surprisingly good, especially if you actually take the time to make some proper generation rules. Of course there's not many tiles available yet and refinement in Hammer can only help, but it's good enough.

bubblewrap

L1: Registered
Jan 2, 2010
Untitled-1.jpg

Is it just me or does this look oddly familiar to the MGS/MGS4 lift drop when going down after fighting all the genome soldiers on it to where REX is being held. Lol. As soon as I saw it that was the first thing I thought of. It's just missing the computer node on the bottom most part of the machinery.

This part kinda reminded me of the elevator platform in HL1 too

TMP

Ancient Pyro Main
aa
Aug 11, 2008
Adrenaline spam ftw. 12 adrenalines going off one after another is awesome in the final escape sequence.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Yeah, it's surprisingly good, especially if you actually take the time to make some proper generation rules. Of course there's not many tiles available yet and refinement in Hammer can only help, but it's good enough.

Did someone say custom tiles?
output0003.jpg

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Did someone say custom tiles?
Yeah sure, note I said "yet". Making lots of little tiles doesn't seem to be all that hard either, the only problem then is that all the best levels aren't just a bunch of tiles slapped together

what would jesus do?

Mar 24, 2008
eggsacks? biomass with flamethrowers? distant colonies with cargo, snow, fire, nighttime skybox and a nuclear bomb with a smiley face on it?

good game, I already picked my favourite weapons and (sadly) never change because i keep playing with people who are new and want to get the parasite hat. meaning im always stuck as a tech :/ but I really like the variation in weaponry (even though i dont see the point in the grenade launcher or railgun), and all the extra slot items (armor, mines) have their own advantages, weldings pretty cool, auto-seeking missiles are awesome etc.

one campaign however doesnt seem to be enough, not even close. this, combined with all the combined code makes me think that this is valves experiment of creating a game thats supposed to live mostly by community content.

or else its probably going to die soon. (and i think you cant earn xp on custom maps, which isnt a problem since you can pretty much get to level 27 in like 2 or 3 hours :D)

Passerby

L2: Junior Member
Mar 27, 2010
eggsacks? biomass with flamethrowers? distant colonies with cargo, snow, fire, nighttime skybox and a nuclear bomb with a smiley face on it?

good game, I already picked my favourite weapons and (sadly) never change because i keep playing with people who are new and want to get the parasite hat. meaning im always stuck as a tech :/ but I really like the variation in weaponry (even though i dont see the point in the grenade launcher or railgun), and all the extra slot items (armor, mines) have their own advantages, weldings pretty cool, auto-seeking missiles are awesome etc.

one campaign however doesnt seem to be enough, not even close. this, combined with all the combined code makes me think that this is valves experiment of creating a game thats supposed to live mostly by community content.

or else its probably going to die soon. (and i think you cant earn xp on custom maps, which isnt a problem since you can pretty much get to level 27 in like 2 or 3 hours :D)

it could also be a free game with paid dlc too

what would jesus do?

Mar 24, 2008
one of my first thoughts, but I immedeatly blocked it out because I would possibly lose all faith if THE valve would go that route.

Passerby

L2: Junior Member
Mar 27, 2010
and fun game overall especially with all friends but with pubs it ;s such a piss off.

with pub if i go medic the tech goes and get's himself killed and one someone get's infested the either run away from me or dance around me like a headless chicken so i got lock on to them.

if i go tech they all run off while im hacking and i have to try to fight and hack at the same time.

really with pub's the only way you can win is go tech with a flamethrower and electric armour to kill of the parasites if they get you.

and than there is the drastic switch up of playing with friends where even on hard we can run through most maps in under 3 min's no deaths.

and the people talking about mapping a lot of the maps that came with it couldn't be done with tiles.

Last edited: