Activision and Infinity Ward Meltdown

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Normally I would want to support the Infinity Ward guys, but if there is any truth to them chatting up EA about future deals, I would fully support Activision's side of things. Lesser of two evils, and all that.

As long as we're clear it's because it's EA, and not because there's something shady about making sure you have another contract lined up after your current one expires.

Jan 20, 2010
As long as we're clear it's because it's EA, and not because there's something shady about making sure you have another contract lined up after your current one expires.

I don't really see what's wrong with looking for a new contract before your current one runs out. It's like looking for a new job while you have your current one that you hate because it sucks. You look for a job without letting your current employers know. Of course, when your current employers find out, that is a problem, as you generally get fired. But ethically, I see nothing wrong with it. Perhaps I'm naive, though.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I've just finished a bit of a job-search myself, and I have to remind myself that I tend to assume more chummy loyalty in places than it may really exist. I may care a lot about the company, but legally speaking all most companies promise is two-weeks notice/pay on your way out.

Feb 14, 2008
They're perfectly within their rights to chat up EA, I mean, who wants Bobby Kotick as their boss.

The Gentlemanne

L4: Comfortable Member
Jun 18, 2009

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
as I said

THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN AT VALVE
In April 2009, Valve sued Activision Blizzard, which acquired Sierra Entertainment after a merger with its parent company, Vivendi Universal Games. Activision had allegedly refused to honor the Valve vs Vivendi arbitration agreement. Activision had only paid Valve $1,967,796 of the $2,391,932 award, refusing to pay the remaining $424,136 claiming it had overpaid that sum in the past years.[11]

I wouldnt say its the same thing, but legal issues are common for developers.

Retroid

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 25, 2009
Makes you wonder how Valve get away with their weird time schedules.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Valve gets away with timing issues because they can keep people interested enough even with the delay.

Whereas a one-year delay in SportsGame 20XX tends to hurt things :p

Jan 20, 2010
Mirror's edge iffy. Mirror's edge need MP. Mirror's edge feel rough around the edges.

Yet I still enjoyed the crap out of it. The story was lame, it was a bit rough, but it was damn fun. I finished wishing there was more. D:

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Mirror's edge was on steam sale for 5 fucking dollars for like a year. If you didn't pick it up during that time you're dumb because it was a great value, truly different pace even if the plot was absurd and overdone

BC2 is the best multiplayer shooter since bf2 and expands upon it in all the best ways. The single player is a hilarious, nonsensical couple of hours to play through when not doing multiplayer (though EA is fucking up big time with their servers atm, underestimated usage apparently)

eyefork

L3: Member
Oct 27, 2008
Mirror's edge iffy. Mirror's edge need MP. Mirror's edge feel rough around the edges.

I enjoyed Mirror's Edge quite a bit, but there were definitely areas I felt it could have improved on. Multiplayer was not one of them :|