A video of the TF2 Beta

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
I think that the spy dynamic is a very fickle one. A spy should serve as a situational killer, distracting enemies. You can, if you're paranoid, become immune to spies, but it's very inefficient in combat. Like a lot of classes, the spy is most effective when he has no aggro. Gameplay wise, the ideal spy-checking method would simple be looking at them for a few seconds, or some way of measuring whether you're suspicious and aware of their presence. Cloaked spies shouldn't be able to be found, far from an incredibly stupid spy. Of course, the best thing to do here would be a change whereby every single melee weapon un-disguises a spy, and drains/prevents cloaking. That way, a found spy can be tagged and hunted. but that's just my opinion.

Feb 14, 2008
Big woo?

Anybody who kept up with the only good topic on the SPUF forums (TF2 Beta topic) would know about all of this already...

Although, that medigun beta 1, I haven't seen it before, is it the overhealer?

And there's no question why spies exist, to annoy the crap out of anyone who's not playing it ^_^

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
For instance: the Heavy is slow. But does anyone question it? That's his thing - one of the in-built characteristics of his individual class. He weighs 300+ pounds and carries a 330-pound gun. No one expects him to be fast.

Nobody questioned his speed but his uses in combat. Heavy is the least played class as it is the most frustrating to play. You walk out of spawn, get to the frontline by any means then you get thrown around by the FaN and the airblast which render you completely useless and a bit of a joke.

The only way to do well as a Heavy is to have a medic attached to you for the majority of the time or at least have one near-by so you don't fall short of running towards a healthkit. Otherwise you'll die over and over again especially whilst playing on Offense.

And this is why he needs to be changed. He shouldn't be knocked back from the FaN or airblast when spun-up because then he will actually be feared; not thrown around the map like a pillow.

A heavy by himself is easy pickings as this why I think they made the GRU. It will simply make the Heavy less frustrating of a class as it will allow him to reach the frontline more quickly to help out his teammates whilst they help protect him in return.

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
Somebody tell me if I'm understanding the gloves properly:

It helps the Heavy move faster AND decreases the amount of damage he takes? And at the cost of 100 hp?

Peterm

Banned
Jun 1, 2009
this is gunna make everything retarded they need to keep it sensible anyways whens this out

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Somebody tell me if I'm understanding the gloves properly:

It helps the Heavy move faster AND decreases the amount of damage he takes? And at the cost of 100 hp?

No. You are not understanding them properly.

Ignore this dumb video. The beta players know what's stupid and what's not, and so does Robin, so have a little faith

Hawk

L7: Fancy Member
Dec 3, 2007
No. You are not understanding them properly.

Ignore this dumb video. The beta players know what's stupid and what's not, and so does Robin, so have a little faith

Oh, I'm not doubting Valve or Robin. I have more faith in them than any other developer.

I was just thinking that if the Heavy loses 100 hp but takes half the damage, then it's like he has 400hp instead of his initial 300hp. But I was sure I wasn't understanding it properly because that would be silly.

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
I've alerted valve to this leaked video, for the greater good/our sanity.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I think the two variations of gloves I saw in there both let the heavy run fast, but while-equipped decreased his max health and/or gradually damaged him, while also being worse in terms of damage done actually punching people.

owly-oop

im birb
aa
Apr 14, 2009
If it decreases his max health down then i, for one, will not use it. The main problem for the heavy is his speed while spun up, not his unspun run speed. Decreasing his total hp will just make the heavy die faster since he's an extremely vulnerable target to begin with

Artesia

L6: Sharp Member
Nov 11, 2008
I think it's meant to only lower HP when you have the gloves out, it sounds like a horrible item if it lowers HP just for equipping them

Terin

L1: Registered
Jan 19, 2009
If you have a medic and the GRU with the health drain, that can actually be slightly beneficial for the medic, as it would help build up uber quicker when there's downtime.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
If you have a medic and the GRU with the health drain, that can actually be slightly beneficial for the medic, as it would help build up uber quicker when there's downtime.

That's the entire point of the gloves: comp players can get heavies to the middle point with the rest of the team, and build an uber while they're at it.

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
The new medi-gun gives you perma-overheal, fyi. I think that all of these ideas are well thought-out and will probably help out the game significantly. The one thing I'm curious about is why they didn't put in the uber-blutsauger idea, essentially the blutsauger fused with the ubersaw. And I support this fire-proof suit idea. The idea of spy-checking should be a way to communicate "spy" to the game, while being too inefficient to test everybody. Oh, and heavy: vulnerable? He may be a damage-sponge, but having 300 hp and a 100 dps gun makes him less than fragile.

Washipato

L3: Member
Jun 22, 2009
Well, at least I trust that the players testing the beta weapons will use their commmon sense and experience to know which weapons are unbalanced and which not.

So far, most of the things showed in the video look very interesting