A hammer problem

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by NaDE *|CPB|* [DFS], Jul 21, 2017.

1. NaDE *|CPB|* [DFS]

NaDE *|CPB|* [DFS] L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    it cannot let me launch the tf2hammer because it needs gameinfo in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf. but i have it in D:\steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf.
    any help?

and also, i tried to put only the gameinfo in the C: foldier, doesnt work

2. MOCOLONI

MOCOLONI L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    What have you done to the file itself? Verify the integrity of game cache to get it back; I would attach mine here, but I don't think it's a good idea.

3. NaDE *|CPB|* [DFS]

Positive Ratings:
    I dont think so, anyways, i figured it out by reinstalling tf2 into C:, now it works

4. Dr. Orange

Dr. Orange L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Go to "D:\steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin", open up GameConfig.txt and edit all paths refering to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\" and sub-folders and changed them to their "D:\steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\" counterpart.

5. NaDE *|CPB|* [DFS]

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, too late, sorry

6. NaDE *|CPB|* [DFS]

Positive Ratings:
    Anyways, i dont think it is reffered to maps, but, got another question, the MVM bots, will they find the path to players? Or do i have to include some sort of a path to buildnings? If yes, then how

7. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    You have to provide a navigation mesh. You can easily generate one in game, but you probably need to tweak it manually to fix things the automation got wrong.

8. NaDE *|CPB|* [DFS]

Positive Ratings:
    Can you show me/tell me how? I would be really thankful

9. MOCOLONI

Positive Ratings:
    You can use the nav_generate command to generate the navigation mesh. Keep in mind that on "complex maps" it may lead to the creation of malfunctioning places/connextions between these places, so after getting a .NAV file, you may proceed to edit it with nav_edit 1. See this post to learn some of the basics to editing navigation meshes.

10. NaDE *|CPB|* [DFS]

Positive Ratings:
  11. NaDE *|CPB|* [DFS]

Positive Ratings:
    uhh, another thing, when i try to run map, the hammer freezes, you know, stops working, idk why and idk what happened to it, can someone give me suggestions on what to do?

12. MOCOLONI

Positive Ratings:
    If you're talking about the Compile Progress Window getting stuck, that's "normal". Wait for it to complete (which will let you scroll up/down the list once it is).

13. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    Hammer freezing during a compile is perfectly normal since compiling will eat up all of your CPU's power and time to do number crunching on your map. If you want to use your PC during a compile you can put -threads x in the advanced compile options.(with x being a number lower than your total available cores/threads INCLUDING Hyperthreaded (Intel CPUs) and SMT (AMD Ryzen CPUs) cores, so a quad-core i7 has 8 threads, you put in x=7 so the compilers lightens up the load on the CPU to give you power to do other stuff but this will slow down your compile. You can find out how many cores/threads in the task manager under the Performance tab, look at how many graphs you have, that's how many threads you have)

14. NaDE *|CPB|* [DFS]

Positive Ratings:
    yeah, but it freezes for few minutes, even 15 minutes

15. Vel0city

aa Vel0city func_fish

Positive Ratings:
    That's how long a compile will last in early stages. Once fully detailed you can expect compiles to take a couple of hours, most of that being stuck on VVIS and VRAD. You can optimise compile times with things like func_detail, give http://www.optimization.interlopers.net a good read.

16. NaDE *|CPB|* [DFS]

Positive Ratings:
    ohh, i found out the problem, it was because i had .rmf instead of .vmf, any idea how can i change the .rmf to .vmf? :D

17. NaDE *|CPB|* [DFS]

Positive Ratings:
    ohh, also that
    ok then