72hr Mapping Contest - Summer 2014 - Prelim Stuff

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I think the concept of a 72 hour contest promotes an unhealthy habit of sitting on the computer for long periods of time, getting little sleep, and has an impact on participant by requiring a long weekend and flow effect on the following week.

You are truely and absolutely right. Marathons are technically bad for peoples health because it puts a lot of stress on them, but yet, thats an olympic sport! I make sure to tell people through out the event that their health comes first and that they need to make sure they stay healthy, not necessarily finish their map. (I'm looking at you, Crash)

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
Edit: woops wrong thread

Last edited:

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
You are truely and absolutely right. Marathons are technically bad for peoples health because it puts a lot of stress on them, but yet, thats an olympic sport! I make sure to tell people through out the event that their health comes first and that they need to make sure they stay healthy, not necessarily finish their map. (I'm looking at you, Crash)

You realize bringing it up just makes it more of a thing I have to do for the next contest, right? I don't think a 72hr contest would be the same without you worrying about my health and sanity! :p

I'll sleep when I'm deeeeaad!

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
You realize bringing it up just makes it more of a thing I have to do for the next contest, right? I don't think a 72hr contest would be the same without you worrying about my health and sanity! :p

I'll sleep when I'm deeeeaad!

It's the anxiety in me. Please don't push it :c

GooGuGajoob

L12: Pro-crastinator
Mar 28, 2014
I'm getting pumped. I start Uni again next week so sooner the better for me...mind you I'm barely any competition to you veterans so you won't miss me if you did it late June/July.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
It's the anxiety in me. Please don't push it :c

Or you could just get the minimum sleep requirement for an average adult? 8 hours isn't it?

I'm lazy so last time I'm pretty sure I had 10-12 hours both nights.

Sep 19, 2010
Or you could just get the minimum sleep requirement for an average adult? 8 hours isn't it?

I'm lazy so last time I'm pretty sure I had 10-12 hours both nights.
I think 8 hours is recommended, but people can easily get by on less than that. Honestly, not getting much rest for one weekend isn't going to affect much. You'll be tired for maybe a day or two after, but then there shouldn't be any problems. Unless you're old like Crash. :p

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Psh. I sleep on AVERAGE maybe 5 hours a night, and that's on a normal work day. 3-4 is common, I usually have one 8-10 hour night a week to get "caught up."

You babies don't even know how to be sleep deprived.

Last contest I had to work Monday morning at 7am and still did all of this.

:p

SSX

aa
Feb 2, 2014
I've got a few open days for taking off work, tell me when! xD

fauks

L2: Junior Member
Jul 7, 2013
Friday the 13th June?

I suggest this partly because it's the 13th and partly because I want to start ASAP :)