72hr Hour Jam 2023

Added to Calendar: 09-15-23, 09-16-23, 09-17-23, 09-18-23

Dribbleondo - Au Yeah

L2: Junior Member
Jul 22, 2016
Time to add another medal to my already fine collection...

Be there, or be square dudes!
1693638375923.png

ReallyRandomBoi!

L1: Registered
Aug 3, 2023
So I did my entry early (I posted when I was doing it earlier in the thread) and I was told by Pdan to place it here so it could get the 72-hour jam prefix assigned to it.

This was my first time doing a jam and it was pretty fun. I hope everyone has fun with their entries.

Sep 19, 2010
In the past we've had to get permission to start/end at a different time than the official. Is that the case for this year?

I'd like to start/end at 12pm UTC instead if possible.

nesman

master of fast travel
aa
Jun 27, 2016
In the past we've had to get permission to start/end at a different time than the official. Is that the case for this year?

I'd like to start/end at 12pm UTC instead if possible.
Sure thing man.
any more rules on maps?
The only rules are what is listed in this thread and the sites rules for general content.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014

DrDapper

Jul 1, 2019
I'll be doing my entry from September 16th to September 18th, this Saturday to monday.
I have a something to do on Friday which will effectively take the whole day.

nesman

master of fast travel
aa
Jun 27, 2016

Carver

Sep 16, 2023
I have a question about your rule concerning originality. I'm planning on submitting a digital drawing of a Spycrab on the beach, which is almost entirely made by myself in Adobe Illustrator. Thing is, I want to add a palm tree, and I can't make a palm tree in illustrator for the life of me, so I downloaded a stock image from iStock (Image is at the bottom of my reply), and altered some of the colors to make it fit with my art better. Everything else is original. Is that ok, or would that get me disqualified?

1694903202350.png

Attachments

• istockphoto-1263636227-612x612.jpg
    istockphoto-1263636227-612x612.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 56

Meskyy076

Sep 16, 2023
site_banner_full_2023.png

This year's banner features entries from last year by @Star in a pond, @Limta Roulence, @Erk, @Maid, @Grizzly Berry, @Aulli, @Entity Report, @Dasprucegoose, and @Qroul

Check out the Jam website here!

The leaves are starting to fall, so it's due time for another Jam! This year, we're raising funds for Gamer's Outreach!

The 2023 72 Hour Jam starts on September 15th and ends on the 18th!
Need help with converting your own timezone? Use worldtimebuddy.com.

For anyone new to the concept of the 72hr Jam, the 72hr Jam is a TF2Maps tradition where the community dedicates 3 days of their time to producing cool content themed around Team Fortress 2! This includes maps, warpaints, models, animations, videos, paintings, drawings, mods, fan-fiction, breakdance routine, and everything else in-between so long as it's related to Team Fortress 2! Post it on the site to show us what you made, and we'll give you a genuine in-game medal to taunt people that have never heard of it!

For this year's 72hr Jam we are partnering with Gamers Outreach, a charity that empowers hospitalized children through video games. During hospitalization, children lose access to friends, school, and moments that define childhood. Gamers Outreach seeks to change that experience by ensuring hospitals have the equipment and software they need to provide kids with activities alongside medical care. Through the medium of gaming, children can explore, connect with others, and have fun. Gamers Outreach has several programs to enable children to play, such as their GO Karts - portable kiosks which are used to provide entertainment for patients in hospitals with limited access to activities outside of their room.

Donations will be open until October 16th, 2023. Medals for donating at least 5$ (in cash or TF2 items though Scrap.tf!) are available for donations prior to September 25th. Participation medals are available for entries made and submitted between September 15th at 5:00pm UTC, until the end of the Jam on September 18th at 5:00pm UTC.
Medals will be distributed in late October or early November.

Don't miss our official Jam Livestream!

We'll be streaming across each day of the Jam on the official TF2Maps Twitch account. They will be interviews, showcases of Jam entries, competitive play on non-competitive modes, and more! Check out the stream schedule for more info. Jam on!

donate_items.png

how to enter.png

This year the submission process has changed!

To submit an entry:
  1. Log into the site and head over to https://tf2maps.net/downloads/
  2. Click the "Add Download" button in the upper right
  3. Choose the correct category for your download. For example, paintings go in the "Art: Images" category, and KotH maps go in the "King of the Hill" category
  4. Click the "(No Prefix)" button and select the "72hr Jam 2023" prefix next to the title of your submission
  5. Add a title, your files, a description, and upload your submission!
firefox_2023-08-15_13-35-57.png

To add preview images to your entry:
  1. Submit your entry with the process above
  2. Click the "Manage Cover" button on the newly created download page:
firefox_2023-08-22_13-25-25.png

fKfvrt5.png

• Make something for or about Team Fortress 2. Collaborations are welcome!​
  • You may not work outside of the prescribed hours above (September 15th-18th 5pm UTC).
    • You may plan in advance, but you may not start creating in advance!​
  • You may use custom content by other people. Just make sure you credit them!​

22jBYd1.png
  • If you enter the Jam, you will get an in-game medal for your participation, unless:
    • ...we discover that you started work on your entry before the Jam started.​
    • ...we discover that you stole your entry from somewhere else.​
    • ...we decide that your entry is exceptionally low-effort.
      • We try to be generous with this, so as long as you put at least an hour or two into your entry, you should be fine.​
    • ...we are not able to trace down your Steam account within three days of when we initially send out the medals. You should associate your Steam account with your TF2Maps.net account in the External Accounts menu.
      • You may also just provide a link to your Steam account in the description of your entry. You will also want to do this for any collaborators so that they can get a medal as well!​
      • We will send a message to everyone who we are not able to track down.​
      • Cutoff for the donation medals are a week after the end of the Jam! (September 25th)
        • Both medals will be distributed in late October or early November.

JJtiEz0.png

If you want to join other people participating, we have a Discord (always busy) and a Steam Chat (we only use this for testing announcements) Join our steam group to get notifications about tests. We also have a hashtag: use #tf2jam to find other participants on twitter/tumblr/instagram/myspace etc.

Feel free to post and update your entry at any time during the event - and make sure to drop in to other people's threads, and share kind thoughts + constructive criticism.

oHsgxmR.png
Can I make a -
Let me stop you there: yes, if it's related to Team Fortress 2. If it's lewd or NSFW, though, we would prefer you hosted it elsewhere and post a link, marked as NSFW, to it, rather than uploading it directly to here - this stops it being previewed on the front page.

Can I enter on another day?
Yes - you can enter on whatever 72hr period you wish, though we suggest you do so before the normal contest time. Simply post the dates/times you wish to enter in this thread, and I'll make a list. The new 72hr Jam 2023 prefix used for submissions will not be availible outside of when the main Jam is running, so contact a staff member when you finish and we'll add it to your early entry!

We can't promise to provide the same amount of support for people entering outside the normal time, but we'll do our best.

Can I collaborate with someone else?
Yes! Make sure to credit everybody involved when you make your upload though.

Do I need to be a TF2Maps member to join?
Nope! Or, well, sort of. You’ll need to join the site to upload your entry, but this is open to everybody, even those who’ve never been here before.

What can I do before the Jam starts?
This depends on what it is you want to do with the Jam. Do you want to go from a completely blank slate to a finished project, or meticulously plan every detail before opening your chosen tool? Either is fine.

What we don't want people doing is continuing with half-finished or already-in-development projects. The Jam is a great time to flex your creative muscles and try something new.

What if I don’t want to abide by all these cruel and restrictive rules?
That’s cool. We’re not fussed. We’re glad you’re joining us! However, please let us know if you’re doing that – it's not fair to other people if some get to start earlier, say. You probably won't get the medal, though.

I want someone to collaborate with me!
This isn't a question. However: post in the thread you're in right now, and maybe someone will offer to join you. (It usually helps your chances to say both what you're good at and what ideas you already have.)

How can I get feedback on my project?
The two best ways are to post a thread on the forums, and to join the discord and ask people what they think - we're always happy to help. If you want your map tested, similarly join the discord and ask - we can show you how to get it added to our map testing list. There are a few other rules that maps need to abide by for us to test them (since doing otherwise can break our servers) - see the next question for those rules. You can also find more information for map testing here.

What are these extra rules for testing maps?
  • Don't use special characters or capital letters in your filename.​
  • While not a hard rule, we recommend adding "72" to your file name, so people know it was made for a Jam and can be prioritized in the testing queue. So something like: "tc_14bit_72_a1" or "cp_freight_72_a2"​
  • Maps must be able to spawn at least 24 players (12 per team).​
  • Include some lighting - no fullbright maps.​
  • If your map requires point_servercommands to be active, then contact an admin before running it. We reserve the right to refuse any map like this.​
  • We will be running a separate server for MVM maps. Speak to an admin to have your map tested on this.​

When does the Charity Drive start and how long will it last?
It will start alongside the Jam, and will be linked accordingly. Once running, you can then donate at will. We'll be monitoring the drive closely in the weeks after the Jam, so feel free to donate in that time as well.

Can I get both medals?
If you fit the criteria for both, of course!

Can I get the Charity Medal if I don't participate in the Jam?
Sure! We'd really love to have you on board for the Jam as well, though this isn't necessary when donating.

What does the Donor Medal look like this year?

jammedal_promo3.png

What will the participant medal look like?

1657230650664.png

Oh, and if you have any questions definitely drop into the discord, or send me, or another member of the staff a dm!
The 72 Hour Jams are an exciting and encouraging time to create content for Team Fortress 2, we're trying to go pretty big for this one! These events have always been great for bringing people together, and making awesome stuff. Even if you think you're not that artistic, you'd be surprised at what you can accomplish! If you've been around for a while, always remember to help others, and share what you know. As usual- we're still, now, and always, in this together!

site_banner_simple.png
I'm literally making my first map on for this jam... I started at 46 hours left ad I've worked 4 hours on the map since...
Day 1:
"It's... I think it's not bad for a first map but I oversized it a some. I'll fix that tomorrow. Also I think Soldier and Sniper is pretty balanced here. But probably soldier will be the most lethal class in this map. But I made some spot for the sniper to be able to counter soldier but don't have a too bug sightline. I also made some flank routes for scout so he can be viable too, I think demoman is also viable... Tbh idk about medic. Spy is balanced to he has a flank rout too so It would not be that big of a problem. And pyro will be strong too... Maybe even the best now that I think about it. But a heavy could counter it... Damn... This map gives out a whole meta a good strategy thing... Well thanks for reading and sorry for my idiotic speech."