72-Hour Mapping Contest #2 - Starting 27.06

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Do any of you ever-negative people know what "subject to change" means? And people call me a jerk, jeez

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Yes, but not everyone is still making up their minds and have already 10 maps listed and done.
It annoys me as there is a lot of quite brilliant maps there, everyone is just rushing to vote them based on one or two rounds we had yesterday.

Last edited:

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
(Or just running around a map, i am looking at you Vincent!)

Spent a good 20 minutes on all of them, some more than twice :O
I know I went quick like a few others, but I'm so burned out (as I'm sure everyone else is), I feel content with who I chose.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
But Vincent, you got to understand this is contest about who can create most fun layout and map in 72 hours. Running around the map 20 minutes or even an hour doesn't really give you much info how it plays and shouldn't be a way to choose your votes.

Vincent

aa
Sep 5, 2009
It's also on account of the fact that I'll be gone tomorrow, till next monday. I don't know if voting will be over by then or not, if it isn't then cool. If I change my mind I can always edit my post like everyone else.

REEJ

L420: High Member
Aug 26, 2010
And I have a disappearing cave entrance (areaportal shifted by 2 units from frame :O)

clayton

L1: Registered
Jun 17, 2011
I have a disappearing cave entrance

i found that. i like the oriental theme of your map though, even if it's quite sparse. i think you could develop it into a nice 3 cp map maybe, rather than koth, as there are a number of good ideas going on (the tunnels especially) which might be better utilised that way. that's just what occurred to me as i ran around..

i've only played about 6 of the maps so far, downloading them manually and running about on my lonesome. the playstuff server's been on grazr's map since last night, as far as i can tell. or is it just me? will it only rotate as long as there are a few people playing?

the one bit of feedback so far on my map (thanks to Leminnes) is that it's both wide and narrow. i might rename it ctf_paradox... :)

REEJ

L420: High Member
Aug 26, 2010
i found that. i like the oriental theme of your map though, even if it's quite sparse. i think you could develop it into a nice 3 cp map maybe, rather than koth, as there are a number of good ideas going on (the tunnels especially) which might be better utilised that way. that's just what occurred to me as i ran around..

The contest version of my map was so far the worst I ever released, my PC gone batshit the last day when I was supposed to test compile and fix. Instead there was no test and no compiling (in the end Leminnes did it for me)
Anyway, working on this map right now - all the basic mistakes too me hardly 15 minutes to fix. Will release a thread soon

26260CA6024B3B04326792EDEA1878B193BB655E

RaVaGe

aa
Jun 23, 2010
You don't actually have to rate them like that, Ravage. Do it if you want, of course, but all that's needed is the list of 10 maps.

This proves at least that my vote is not based on an simple feeling. And the ratings are indisputable with that. ;)

Jan 20, 2010
the one bit of feedback so far on my map (thanks to Leminnes) is that it's both wide and narrow. i might rename it ctf_paradox... :)

Haha! As I said, they were quit notes. What I meant is that it is Wide (Intel to Intel) and Narrow (Side to Side). Better words would've been Long and Narrow. Sorry about that. :p

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
But Vincent, you got to understand this is contest about who can create most fun layout and map in 72 hours. Running around the map 20 minutes or even an hour doesn't really give you much info how it plays and shouldn't be a way to choose your votes.

If it plays worse than 2Fort on a 32 player server with six engineers each and no medics, but it's fun, guess what? I can determine that in 10 minutes. You said it yourself: This is a contest about who can create a fun map. Layout could be absolute shit, yet I could have a ball on the map. 15 minutes for the one arena map, 20-30 minutes on the other maps is plenty of time to determine if you're having fun.

Especially if you're doing what I'm doing: If I'm enjoying myself, I write down the map name on a notecard. When I play every single map, I'm gonna go through my list. If I don't have 10, I'm going to go look at each map that was submitted and attempt to remember the map. If I have more than 10, I'll cross out the ones that were borderline fun for me, or I'll go play those maps again and cross out the ones that are less fun than the others.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
The thing is littleedge, he just apparently run around them in single player, map may look like fun when you run around it yourself but can be absolute clusterfuck when more players play it. (Plenty of examples in this contest)
It is silly to vote based on something like that, only way to find out how much fun it is, is to play it with other people.

Jan 20, 2010
Honestly, judging from running around is his own prerogative. If that's how he wants to do it, he can do it that way. It's not how I would or will be doing it, and I hope he does get the chance to play them so he can then make a choice based on other factors.

Vincent

aa
Sep 5, 2009
The thing is littleedge, he just apparently run around them in single player, map may look like fun when you run around it yourself but can be absolute clusterfuck when more players play it. (Plenty of examples in this contest)
It is silly to vote based on something like that, only way to find out how much fun it is, is to play it with other people.

What, when did I say single player, it was all on the tf2maps servers and that weplaystuff server.