72 hour contest: Half way point

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
This wall texture looks infinitely better in-game than it did in hammer.

I agree, it's the wonders of normal maps i guess. It was kinda bothering me at first but it seemed to turn out alright in the end. Many textures look like shit in Hammer but when translated into a lit world environment look beautiful.

I did a little personal study on sawmill to learn a little about use of wood materials and different coloured wood and what i saw in Hammer looked surprisingly like arse, but in game the colour contrast and saturation is a lot more subtle.

Also, I worry that the Mann Manor clocktower might be a bit too map specific, but idk.

Maybe. It's also kinda large in comparison to the chapel. But since the tower is so high up in manor's sky many people don't even notice it, so i'm hoping since it's not a significant focal point i can still get away with using it. It actually looked nice in cp_clocktower and didn't particularly scream "mann manor" in the same way badlands spire would if you saw that in another map.

Last edited:

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Well, I better get my detailing ass in gear tomorrow. Not much has changed, today was all gameplay tweeking, and it played surprisingly well... so... (minus the third picture) this is what the map is looking like... now with proper game-mechanics.

What i've spent 24+ hours on

Going to be a late one tomorrow.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
If it's any consilation my map is mirrored so i have the benefit of flipping portions of the map instead of detailing the entire thing by hand. So you shouldn't feel too bad about the progress i've made on the detail side of things.

EDIT:

koth_chapel_a20000.jpg

koth_chapel_a20001.jpg

koth_chapel_a20002.jpg

koth_chapel_a20003.jpg

koth_chapel_a20004.jpg

I hope Rexy doesn't mind, he left the keys to his car in the ignition!

koth_chapel_a20005.jpg

Last edited:

TheKieranator

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 6, 2011
I've been doing quite well -> layout done and up to detailing now, but now that I upgraded my Skybox from 2D to 3D, my light_environment seems to have stopped working! D: What am I going to do? EDIT: I have fixed it now and improved lighting conditions. Moar detailing!

Last edited:
May 2, 2009
Phew, luckily I didn't log in until I got my map finished. After seeing most of these half way images I am ashamed how awful my map came to be. First time detailing for me.

EDIT: Going to edit my time lapse tomorrow of me mapping