5cp layouts, discussion.

Mar 23, 2010
what is this "yard" ?

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
This thread is a godsend, since Im in the middle of designing a 5cp map. Seems I have A LOT more to think about that I thought.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
demoman needs to be there with or a half second before the scouts and at or above 80-90% health. end of story
Then again it would be pretty hard to make a map where the Demo is not faster than the Scouts, right? Unless it's all indoors or something.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Regardless of what comp players may want/believe, I'll never accept that this is a good thing. Explosive jumping is supposed to be a tradeoff, health for speed (or elevation). Scouts are supposed to be fast and get there first. If a demoman gets to the middle at the same time with nearly full health, that's technically something gone wrong. :mellow:

(don't start a comp-nocomp argument over this)

I agree, but i can see how an overhealed demoman can get from spawn to the mid of badlands with a good amount of health. He does pass a small and then medium health kit after his most significant sticky boosts.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
5cps are hated in pubs

Not exactly. They're not as popular as spamfest payload maps, but they're still played quite a bit.

I play mostly pubs, and I love 5CP maps. There just aren't many custom 5CP maps that don't suck. They're deceptively complex :D

Trying to design for both environments, and not just one exclusively, is the best way to go.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
- In badlands, DEFENDING teams can move from 1->3 without ever seeing 2. that's fine. What makes it still work is that ATTACKING teams still have to go past CP2 to get to CP1.

Sounds so obvious when you say it. Thanks, somehow this simple fact escaped my mind entirely when sitting and speculating layouts.

Flame

aa
Jul 19, 2009
one way doors suck though, dropdowns are decent but they need to be two-way at least for jumping classes.

nobody cares if paths are inaccessible to medics, aka dropdown as long as somebody can chase someone going back that way. most scouts love going into battlements from resupply through that small path

it needs to be 2-ways for jumping classes, one way for everything else.

cyked

L3: Member
Dec 18, 2009
I agree, but i can see how an overhealed demoman can get from spawn to the mid of badlands with a good amount of health. He does pass a small and then medium health kit after his most significant sticky boosts.

This.

most people don't account for the fact that the demoman needs full buff from the medic to end up with the 80-90% hp.

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
Holy shit, I think I'll just keep my hands off of 5cp maps. This thread made my brain hurt