"Your map is being played" notifications

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Okay, so, still getting used to the discord bot. I noticed one thing pretty quickly, people are not kidding when they say you just get a small ping at the exact moment that your map is being played. I received this ping while my computer was off, so I had to quickly turn on the computer, start steam, get TF2 running, and find the TF2maps server again. All in all, I lost about 4 minutes.

Given that my favorite part of making maps for Team Fortress 2 was having the chance to actually play it, I found that kind of frustrating. So I'm asking if we can implement a system where I don't have to give myself a heart attack every time my map is put on.

Here's the idea that I had: Have it notify you when your map is being put in the session, maybe like 5 minutes before the imp / gameday actually starts, that way I could join at the start, play all of the time in my own map, and help test out maps that were before mine.

I'm not sure if that's actually possible, but I figured it was an idea.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
Well, the thing about IMPs is that we don't know how many maps will be played. The IMP usually lasts as long as the host cares to keep running it, so different hosts can run IMPs for different amounts of time. Additionally, broken maps may be skipped, and users can RTV to skip maps as well, so this can cause more maps to be played in a shorter amount of time. Finally, gamedays can also end prematurely whenever players start leaving and the IMP loses steam, so even if the host planned to continue running the IMP, there may not be enough players for a proper test and some maps may not actually get played. Some hosts even skip around in the list. In an IMP, only the first 3-5 maps are (near) guaranteed to receive proper testing, so predicting which maps will be properly tested beyond that will be difficult until the map is actually running. So, while such a system would be possible, it may be inaccurate and would require input and foresight from the host.

nᵗʰSonata

Takes way to long to make and update maps
aa
Jun 11, 2015
Imps are usually announced in the "Events" channel of the Discord, and tag @here (anybody who is currently active on Discord). I like to be notified of imps, even if I'm not active on Discord, so while I have most of TF2M muted (except for @mentions), I like to turn on notifications specifically for that channel by opening the Channel Settings (can be found on mobile by holding your finger down on the channel name) and setting Frequency to "All Messages". This still seems to a bit buggy sometimes, so I'd like to see an @imp tag added, which could be pinged when an imp is announced.
You could check the maplist when an imp is announced, and see how likely it is that you think your map is being played, and join if it's higher up on the list. I hope this helped!

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Sometimes the Steam alerts for tests will list what maps are being played. Moreso back in the day than now. But that's not especially useful since Steam's mobile app still doesn't relay group messages.

HQDefault

...what
aa
Aug 6, 2014
Imps are usually announced in the "Events" channel of the Discord, and tag @here (anybody who is currently active on Discord). I like to be notified of imps, even if I'm not active on Discord, so while I have most of TF2M muted (except for @mentions), I like to turn on notifications specifically for that channel by opening the Channel Settings (can be found on mobile by holding your finger down on the channel name) and setting Frequency to "All Messages". This still seems to a bit buggy sometimes, so I'd like to see an @imp tag added, which could be pinged when an imp is announced.
You could check the maplist when an imp is announced, and see how likely it is that you think your map is being played, and join if it's higher up on the list. I hope this helped!
Why does the tag have to be @here? Why not change the tag to @all (or whatever the tag is to mention everyone) so I don't have to leave discord on all day?