Your first map?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
My 1st map was Starcraft map...

If you're gonna include terrain editors my first map is Age of Empires.

My first publicly released FPS map was dod_hedgerows (I think? ha ha hah aha, i can't even remember what i called it).

I would have released a second DoD map dod_blitzen but source kinda caught up with DoD and dropped it.

dodmap.jpg

lustygoat

L2: Junior Member
Feb 14, 2009
My first real maps were for a mod called Tempus Irae, for Marathon, a Doom-like game for the Mac back in 1997. (Crap I am old.)

There's no screenshots around but a friend extracted the geometry of all the levels from the mod and rendered them as transparent objects... still look pretty cool:

L28.VendettaI.jpg

L29.VendettaII.jpg

L30.Killed.jpg

screenshot from that last one:

1.big.jpg

Procyon

L1: Registered
Apr 3, 2010
My first real maps were for a mod called Tempus Irae, for Marathon, a Doom-like game for the Mac back in 1997. (Crap I am old.)

There's no screenshots around but a friend extracted the geometry of all the levels from the mod and rendered them as transparent objects... still look pretty cool:

Yeah, I played that mod... Very good one. Would be nice to play some Marathon (any game/mod) maps in HL2/TF2. I always wanted to port "poor yorick" or "waterloo waterpark" to the source engine...

Last edited:

strangemodule

L5: Dapper Member
Sep 10, 2009
My first map was a very small, very crappy HLDM map. I couldn't get enough of the green goo texture.

TheTurnip

L2: Junior Member
Mar 2, 2010
I lied. This is my first TF2 map: Grid (Arena)

Basically, the map consisted of 9 chambers that were dynamically separated by walls that change every 10 seconds.

I'll have you know that your first TF2 map happens to be a stupidly fun time. In a silly manner. That is all.

EDIT: And my first map was back in Starcraft, and i'm sure it sucks (Some sort of indoor 1 player exploration/RPG map). First viably playable map would have been one of a series of decent Age of Empires 2 multiplayer maps.

These here tf2 shenanigans i'm getting up to would be my first experience with FPS mapping. So far i'm still in the planning stages, but I hope to work on it over the coming months...

Last edited:

Dr. ROCKZO

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jul 25, 2009
I wonder if we're going to get an alien hybrid mix of FPS/RTS first maps with Starcraft 2's apparent first person support in the next mapping generation. (Dungeon Keeper 2 comes to mind, remember possessing the imps?)

I think my first was cs_giant for Counter Strike Source, gameplay was pretty solid, but everything was that one, horrible brick texture accompanied by fullbright and overlapping brushes. Unfortunately, I deleted everything associated of it out of shame but some of my other first maps are lying around.

surf_fourfare was quite successful, it was basically a surfable pyramid that people launched onto via conveyors from the surrounding platforms. Lots of flying fun with clans on that map..

EDIT: @Lustygoats transparent renders: Those are really neat! A cool way to show off the map without it looking.. glitchy.

Pooluke41

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 24, 2010
I disowned mine, no screenshots but it had no roofs..

Anda02

L1: Registered
May 30, 2009
http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/19132

Horrible Zombie Mod map made over 3 years ago. For reason however it gained like a little popularity in the ZM world for about a month then it disappeared. To tell the truth I'm surprised ANYONE played the thing.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009

L28.VendettaI.jpg

L29.VendettaII.jpg

L30.Killed.jpg

screenshot from that last one:

1.big.jpg

Think i played that map on one game/mod or another.