aa
Jul 22, 2014
That's the power of glove.

Sorry just had to get that in.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Does it seem real enough that your subconscious finds it disappointing when you can't actually hold and touch the things with your hands instead of using the controllers as the interface?

When I was playing job sim (which is lovely and low poly, not at all realistic) I tried to put the wand down for a second on the counter. I realised just before letting go that it hadn't hit the surface. So of course I say to myself "I'm a fucking idiot, of course the counter isn't real" Then as my alternative to putting it on the counter, I tried to put it down on top of the microwave, less than 10 seconds later.

Alternatively, do the games/demos you've played on Vive seem related to you by nature of their common controller? (For me, FPS games feel VERY different from each other because they are distinguished primarily for me by the movement physics rather than the common mouse/keybindings they all share - I expect a similar experience from Vive, but prove me wrong!)
Yes, sort of, but more by the fact that they all seem like they're real places. The same way my basement feels the same as a 5 star hotel room. They're entirely different, but I know they're both places on earth.

It doesn't feel like they're all the same game engine, or have the same control scheme, it just feels like they're all places I've been to. I can't really adequately describe this effect to you, but if I asked you how big your shoes are, you have this amazing physical response to that. Your brain knows how big your shoes are without them being present. Without holding your shoes you can mentally picture exactly how big your shoe is, the shape and forms they have as part of their very existence. If I ask you how big the pumpkin lantern models from TF2 are, you might be able to picture a size, but instead of a physical memory, it'll be an intangible one. You wouldn't have a clear mental picture of the exact size and shape and presence of those pumpkins. I however, saw them when playing the other day. I have the same kind of mental picture of those pumpkins now in my mind as I do of my shoes.

objects in good VR (I didn't get this effect with the Oculus DK2, only now with the Vive) are entering your brain in an entirely new way. You form an entirely new kind of memory of them. Except it's not a new kind of memory, it's the same kind you use for real objects.

@KubeKing will be able to attest to this. How big was that blue whale dude? How about the size of the manta ray? Or how big was Atlas?

I suppose now I mention Atlas, a good way to describe this effect is like meeting someone from the internet or TV for the first time. I was well acquainted with Atlas from Portal 2. We all know those robots well and I thought I knew how big he was. Then I met him I was totally wrong, now I have a new mental image of how big atlas is.

The way different games handle the input is actually pretty different. For games that have visual hands, the position of the hands is always totally different. Job sim makes the hands invisible when holding something (which I hate). Then there's the Gallery demo that uses the grip instead of the trigger to pick things up. You might initially think that the grip is a good way to simulate picking something up, seems natural to grip your hand, right? Wrong. It's fucking horrible and I hate it. Trigger for picking up please, even with fake hands instead of a....device....

I'm still interested in ways to increasing mobility outside of the safety cube, without actually moveing outside the cube.
The aperture demo has go-go-gadget arms activated by the grip so you can grab things outside the chaperone bounds. It's implemented poorly ( the controller just zips to a meter away, instead of having something extending from it) but it's functional and could be much better with visual improvements to remove the disconnect of seeing the thing you're holding fly magically away from you. (simply making a copy shoot out to a meter would be better)

@KubeKing See how I give radically better answers when there are specific questions asked?

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
@KubeKing will be able to attest to this. How big was that blue whale dude? How about the size of the manta ray? Or how big was Atlas?

I agree 100% with what YM's saying about memories of scale from the Vive. I will attest: that blue whale was quite, quite large (even though at that time during the demo, I was having a little trouble adjusting the Vive on my head, so I didn't get the full effect); the manta rays were about as large as me stretching out my arms; and Atlas was a foot or two taller than me. With my relatively-small amount of experience with the Vive, memories seem to be more proportional to my body size, rather than in unit figures.

@KubeKing See how I give radically better answers when there are specific questions asked?

Oh, you've just got to rub in my honest attempt at asking a good question, huh? :engienope:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Sorted out blink-teleporting for moving outside of the boundaries:

Then because that felt bad I set up a 3D portal that you'd need to walk through, a kind of wormhole thing, it feels much better (even if the capsule is far too big)

theatreTECHIE

Yet another Techie for the net...
aa
Jun 19, 2015
Looks like a neat way to get around the lack of real world space. I take it then that a low poly count is needed for these early stages of VR, as it take too much performance to render higher poly counts & detail (that graphics cards can't support). VR seems quite good for the home, but do you think it would make sense to have a 'VR arcade' if you will, as in a place where benches, seats and other items could be, so that you could interact with things happening? (With the way the system could render additional things on top of what is present in the real world)

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
What I've done is low poly because I'm largely just using unity's standard primitives to make stuff. Valve's aperture demo and WeVR's The Blu both seem ludicrously high on the polycount side of things.

VR arcades could be massive. If I had a few hundred thousand to sink into a business, I'd be looking at setting up a VR alternative to laserquest/indoor paintballing.

As far as I know, Valve are willing to help studios that want to produce tracking circuit boards for things that aren't their controllers

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
no and no.

Longest I've used the headset for was about an hour and a half of TF2, having something strapped to your face for that long is worse than the eye strain. Your eyes are focusing at infinity due to the way the lenses are set up which is the most relaxed your eye muscles can be, so it's not really hard to do at all.

Geit

💜 I probably broke it 💜
aa
May 28, 2009
How's the field of view and the display density? Last time I tried an HMD was the Rift DK1 which had awful resolution and pretty large blind spots that'd made me motion sick pretty quickly - I wanted to try and use a Vive in my Uni's upcoming game jam, but I don't think they managed to secure themselves a dev kit :(.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
FoV is good. You definitely know you're looking through something but it's really not that limiting.
Because the vive's displays are vertical, I think they have a slightly narrower horizontal FoV than the oculus consumer version but slightly taller vertical FoV.

Was at GameCity and they had a demo going for Unseen Diplomacy. One lovely fella I was talking to a lot, (Hideous_) said he suffered motion sickness quite a bit with the DK1 and found that badly designed DK2 things would set him off, but he was running around happily all over the place with the Vive yesterday and didn't feel any nausea at all.

You have to remember the DK1 was a 1280×800 screen, with no positional tracking at all, while the Vive is a 2160x1200 screen with full room tracking. The DK1 and DK2 really are pretty terrible when compared to the Vive.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Ok unfortunately there's a series of videos that are in tweets so I can't embed them nicely like youtube stuff

Here's three of Hideous_ playing Unseen Diplomacy by Triangular Pixels They're showing it at GameCity currently, it's all about breaking into a top secret base as a spy. Dodging laser beams, crawling through vents, hacking into terminals. It's great fun.
https://twitter.com/marmalade_tim/status/658962744893419520
https://twitter.com/marmalade_tim/status/658963059558514692
https://twitter.com/marmalade_tim/status/658963558751977472

My 980ti arrived and now I can play the Aperture demo with a good framerate (still one or two dropped frames that I noticed, but it's good, I suspect my 6 year old CPU is now the bottleneck)

This is now my life:
CSbcC18WEAA-zwT.jpg:large

And then here's my latest, I wondered "If I scale up the camera prefab, will that have the same effect as scaling down the world??"

Turns out yes, yes it does. It's also FREAKIN ADORABLE. These cans are 1cm tall and I'm kneeling right down to get close enough to see them. the right controller looks awkward because I'm using that arm's elbow to prop myself up.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I'll put my comments that I was going to put on Twitter here instead - I was thinking of a system by which hovering in place requires at least one hand - so you can solve a puzzle or pull a lever on the ceiling, so long as it's only one-handed. If you want to reduce motion sickness, have you tried putting a nose in?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
one loon suggests a nose and everyone's mad on noses!

you couldn't even see your nose through a Vive. you'd just see the black rim of the nose moulding. It matches pretty damn close

Kube

Not the correct way to make lasagna
aa
Aug 31, 2014
Today I became Iron Man.... YM Man (only works if you say it right)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssi6y4H-B8Y

If you get motion sickness though, this won't be for you.

If you polish this solution so that it's self-explanatory and doesn't get everyone puking, you've solved the problem of locomotion past room boundaries in a very ingenious way. But may I recommend, place a platform underneath the player's feet when they begin to fly, so that it makes sense for them to be on the floor IRL.