[WIP] tc_meridian

quago

L1: Registered
Aug 3, 2008
Hey, I'm new to the forums, and just wanted to say I absolutely love this map. The environment is refreshing and a new spin on things. I haven't had the chance to really dig in deep with this map yet but I'm hosting a LAN party with my friends this Sunday, and this map is one of the highlights. By then I should have some good feedback. As of now some areas seem a little barren of health and ammo, however I doubt I found it all, and by this Sunday I'm sure that observation will change. looking forward to beta 1!

Dec 25, 2007
My biggest complaint about meridian right now is the robot room -- it's so huge, and covers so many levels that it's not only hard to get out of, but I pretty much always get lost trying to find my way out. The signs pointing to the exits on each stage are not visible enough from the whole room. Perhaps it would work better if the circular ledge diameter got smaller as you went lower? Then you'd be able to see most of the room + walls from the floor, and vice-versa.

[SpA]Lim-Dul

Aug 5, 2008
Ha, I only registered on the forums because I wanted to say how awesome this map is - even at this still somewhat early stage (I wish some finished maps were as good as this ;-).

I'm a great fan of cp_science and the updated cp_science2 although some people are having orientation problems even with the HUGE friggin' arrows on the walls - in my opinion this is the best scripted map I've ever screen with so many things changing dynamically.

tc_meridian might be even more complicated scripting-wise, I guess, but it's not as noticeable, I guess since major changes happen mostly between the rounds or after start-up.

Kudos to all three devs of the map - a friend of mine told me about it but I managed to play only a very short round after I joined. Some people said it was hard for them to find servers running the map - as the public relations manager for the Special Attack community we'll be glad to help you out with large-scale map tests.

We are looking for a closer cooperation with map and mod developers so we will surely put tc_meridian into the map cycle of our main servers (servers #1-3) for a while. We are currently expecting a hardware upgrade for the machine that runs our first two servers so no major changes will be possible until next week and we already have one map for tests in our queue - dom_canalzone_b3 by Vilepickle.

I'll post about our servers (Server #5 is a pure Custom Map Server - the best or most promising projects land in its map cycle) and developer-cooperation program in the Server forum.

Update:
I posted the thread as promised:

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=3098

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2008
[SpA]Lim-Dul;28271 said:
Ha, I only registered on the forums because I wanted to say how awesome this map is - even at this still somewhat early stage (I wish some finished maps were as good as this ;-).

I'm a great fan of cp_science and the updated cp_science2 although some people are having orientation problems even with the HUGE friggin' arrows on the walls - in my opinion this is the best scripted map I've ever screen with so many things changing dynamically.

tc_meridian might be even more complicated scripting-wise, I guess, but it's not as noticeable, I guess since major changes happen mostly between the rounds or after start-up.

Kudos to all three devs of the map - a friend of mine told me about it but I managed to play only a very short round after I joined. Some people said it was hard for them to find servers running the map - as the public relations manager for the Special Attack community we'll be glad to help you out with large-scale map tests.

We are looking for a closer cooperation with map and mod developers so we will surely put tc_meridian into the map cycle of our main servers (servers #1-3) for a while. We are currently expecting a hardware upgrade for the machine that runs our first two servers so no major changes will be possible until next week and we already have one map for tests in our queue - dom_canalzone_b3 by Vilepickle.

I'll post about our servers (Server #5 is a pure Custom Map Server - the best or most promising projects land in its map cycle) and developer-cooperation program in the Server forum.

Update:
I posted the thread as promised:

http://forums.tf2maps.net/showthread.php?t=3098

Vilepickle's making maps again? Well so he is!

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
Yeah, he released a CanalZone beta a while back. We just haven't seening him gracing these pages much lately. :(

[SpA]Lim-Dul

Aug 5, 2008
Yo - he actually seems to be pretty active. After our Custom Map Weekend during which we had dom_canalzone_b2 on our servers - sadly only for the last day - he released the b3 version of his map which we need to test now. Like I said in my developer-cooperation thread we won't be able to start any map tests before next week.

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
I'm looking forward for the widened temple. Last play session I witness our team hammering the intel defender into this small aera but hardly able to touch the flag,, even über after über. This place felt like a trap.

Redfurn

May 10, 2008
The idea of the map is great, and now in beta the looks of the map are awesome. That in advance, great work so far.

The missing CTF-HUD, anything new on that, have you contacted valve maybe?
I am curious about that, because i think this ist the important point to say something about the playability of the map. Everyone has to know where the intel is at the moment.
Of course you know that, i only wanted to point out the importance of that. ;)

And i found a little bug. At the submarine intel position, there is a "normal" CP left (i think the map was a TC only map at first?), so if you stand next to the intel you hear the capture sound and if you wait there you capture the CP and won that sector, without grabbing the intel and bringing it back.

[SpA]Lim-Dul

Aug 5, 2008
1. I don't have any FPS issues worth noting...
2. The Village to Temple variation could still use a bit more health packs (it's the one where there is the cave, right?) - the others are OK, I guess
3. I see some black rectangles in the sea around the boat
4. I get loads of errors that some torch effects couldn't be loaded (I can post the exact line I'm getting if you want).
5. When you jump in the sea you die, obviously but then your model kinda doubles or triples, I don't know how to describe it and you get a huge FPS drop (OK, so there are FPS drops but not during gameplay =)
6. The part where you can jump into the water with the shark sign is funny but perhaps you should create some invisible barriers around the ship? At least so that you can't fall into deep water (there could be shallow water in front of the boat) - the intelligence can drop into the sea which is a bit inconvenient... The whole concept would be like the BLU ship on cp_corporation_b3...
7. Are you planning to add more detail to the boat? It strikes me as one of the not-so-good looking areas of the map - the ship on cp_corporation_b3 mentioned above looks FAR better...
8. The CP entity in the Sub Bay has been mentioned already, hasn't it?

That's it for now. Amazing work! Await further reports when I actually get the map to be hosted on our main servers...

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
My FPS numbers themselves didn't improve substantially, but the map seems to be running a lot smoother than before.

Can I complain about the lack of my poster in there? :p

ChronoTriggerFan

L420: High Member
Feb 3, 2008
[SpA]Lim-Dul;28489 said:
4. I get loads of errors that some torch effects couldn't be loaded (I can post the exact line I'm getting if you want).

We get to blame valve for that, as they haven't made particle inclusion possible yet. If it annoys you that much I believe shmitz has a link to download the particles and the manifest.

[SpA]Lim-Dul

Aug 5, 2008
Cool - it's not that it annoys me that much - just wanted to report that. Now I noticed that it is on the "known issues" list...

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I ran around b1 yesterday, and I have some bugs to report. Still looks wonderful, of course, but it needs a lot of polish.

Seems like the spawn room doors in the village will be permanently opened by being touched by BLU when RED owns the village. Not only do they open up, they stay open too. I assume the same thing will happen the other way around, but I don't know.

The messages at the start of the round told me at least once (when the "teams" were switched after I won the map) that "You are now defending", which seems wrong in this situation.
Also, these messages call the teams "Red" and "Blue". Sorry for nitpicking, but every detail counts. :p

Found some badly sewn displacements in the cave that you can enter near those smaller, broken pillars in the outside area.

There's a support beam thingy in that area with a lot of cliffs and bridges (I have no idea what to call that), near the entrance to the robot base, that seems to have two clearly visible faces textured with nodraw.

The colissions in the village and outside area are kinda bad. Some places it looks like you can barely squeeze through something, but you can't, and I even got stuck between a ledge, a building and a tree in the village (I think it was next to that rock that opens up like a door - which by the way is floating when it's closed).

I could go in and take some screens if the explanations aren't good enough. If most of this has been posted before, sorry for wasting your time. :p

EDIT: Oh, and FPS? I have no comment on that, really, because I haven't played it in multiplayer yet. You're probably well aware of the fact that your FPS will drop massively when you fall in the water, no?

Last edited:

[SpA]Lim-Dul

Aug 5, 2008
The messages at the start of the round told me at least once (when the "teams" were switched after I won the map) that "You are now defending", which seems wrong in this situation.

Well, the description of this map says that BLU are invading the RED island... I agree, however, that while these messages make sense if you know the backstory of the map, they are usually reserved for attack-defense style maps which this one obviously isn't...