[WIP]orange something (no name yet)

stealth

L1: Registered
Nov 7, 2008
I am amused by the comments :D
What are the 5 no no's?

personally I don't mind orange maps, except orange_tower that one has a waaaaaaay to long cap time on the middle point.

I can understand that it is a bit confusing, since I had the same trouble so, that could be fixed.
The FPS issues is a bit trickier, will have to think about that one.

I didn't realize you had to tell the map what to do, when the time runs out, so I'll look into that too.

And why don't I make a proper map? Seems like a huge task. I only work on maps now and again during holidays and the likes, so I prefer small projects.
This map only took 40 hours or so.

I'll try and make my next map a proper one. I think I can dig up some motivation for it hehe...

But I don't want to just ditch this one just yet. By bringing it to a good end, I know what I have too look out for in the next map.

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
I am amused by the comments :D
What are the 5 no no's?

personally I don't mind orange maps, except orange_tower that one has a waaaaaaay to long cap time on the middle point.

I can understand that it is a bit confusing, since I had the same trouble so, that could be fixed.
The FPS issues is a bit trickier, will have to think about that one.

I didn't realize you had to tell the map what to do, when the time runs out, so I'll look into that too.

And why don't I make a proper map? Seems like a huge task. I only work on maps now and again during holidays and the likes, so I prefer small projects.
This map only took 40 hours or so.

I'll try and make my next map a proper one. I think I can dig up some motivation for it hehe...

But I don't want to just ditch this one just yet. By bringing it to a good end, I know what I have too look out for in the next map.

Until you fix the timer issue I doubt any servers will be keeping this map in the rotation. It's easy enough to do. Using those red/blue textures should be really simple as well and would help the play and look of the map a lot. Just something to consider.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
i still say changing the game type and cutting out the large open side areas would shrink the map significantly and probably do alot to fix the fps issue...
in theory the gametype could stay the same if you could shrink it a bit

Last edited:

l3eeron

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jan 4, 2008
lol

reminds me of marble madness

marble_madness_17.png

No offense, but I'm not gonna waste my time with it. There's too much other good stuff out there and my time is limited. I'll admit my first map ever was a "dev" map. It was a good learning experience, but it looks like you are way beyond "first map ever".

Not that I'm a king mapper or anything, but if there's one thing I've learned, it's to make something good, regardless of the time it takes. You say you've spent 40 hours so far, that could have been 40 hours into a real map.

And yes, there are some "No No's" you might catch on after you make something worth while.

It looks like it could be popular with the orange players, but it really needs to follow the correct naming.

cp_orange_ubertower_b1 would work.

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
I dont like the name. cp_orange_pube?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I say again; look at it, there is virtually no way this can be textured or detailed to fit into the tf2 theme, and someone telling people to just ditch their map and start over is just plain cruel.

I didn't tell him to ditch his map and i wasn't merely saying "you made an orange map, orange maps are bad, this is bad". I was simply expressing my frustration at someone with obvious experience partaking in the creation of an orange map (a practice quite below him) when he can obviously do so much more.

You're right, this map is hardly in a position to be converted to the thematic TF2 style, but that wasn't what i was implying either. By stating he should make it more appropriate for the game he is designing for, this would be something you would have to consider from the start.

Why is it when ever someone recieves some heavy critisisms someone has to play the cruelty and harshness card. He's a big boy, and some stranger telling him to try harder over the internet is hardly gonna make him go all emo on us.

i personally see no reason to repeatedly tell him that orange maps are bad, one person said it, someone else agreed, thats more then enough...

Are you winding me up? Several people voicing the same opinion is hardly as pointless/worthless as you make it out to be. It's basically the fundamental process of a parliamentary system of a democratic government; If several people voice their opinions on it (be it to agree or disagree) then that gives a more rounded opinion to the author than in not doing so; allowing him to enact upon it more appropriately. He doesn't have to listen to me, so i resent the added dismissive remark. 1 vote can decide the leader of a country and the future of the entire planet. If my advice ontop of others is the turning point that sparks motivation within this novice to produce something wondrous, i'll hardly regret it.

I wouldn't have bothered replying if i didn't think he had it in him to do more than this. As then yes, it would have been quite pointless for me to say anything at all. It isn't necasserily my personal opinion either that orange maps are bad. But normal maps are just simply better. Valve didn't release to us "Orange Fortress".

Last edited:

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
well...im pissed...i just wrote alot for the 1st part of what you said...but my mouse has a back button on the side of it, so when i reached over to scroll down the page, i hit that and lost everything <_<
so...screw writing it again...ill just do the last part...

I find your government theory flawed, sure they pool their opinions, but they do not simply say the same thing over and over. Suppose its about guns, one person will say guns are bad, then everyone that agrees will say that they agree, they will not all repeat the original statement over and over. Personally I find the thanks button is a good way of displaying when you agree with someone completely. And honestly, I don't buy that one vote crap...it so rarely means anything.

The valve didn't do it so its wrong argument is tiring and far overused...

EDIT BY DOX: Please handle any further arguments in a separate thread or personal messages, and keep this thread clear for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism of Stealth's map.

EDIT NOT BY DOX: /\ lolz

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I didn't disagree with you on matters with the map, infact i agreed with several points you made. You just seem to have taken what i said as things i demanded of him to apply within this current map rather than note for future reference as mere advice. Which is the only reason why i can imagine this has your goat so much. I would very much like to hear what you had to say in reply because i'm not quite sure why you're battling me on this.

I simply added my opinion to the masses that you claim to have been so criminal simply because i re-itterated the point ontop of adding some further advice rather than a more basic (and less helpful) yey or ney reply. In an attempt to keep helpful/relavent information to one post he could size up. Whilst acknowledging the multiple expressions by each individual poster.

One other person mentioned it being an orange map and therefor "not good", whilst several said they simply wouldn't bother with it. I really don't see how me agreeing and adding some advice to that arguement is repeatedly telling him this is worthless. Which as i said, wasn't even my point. Aye or ney is not always enough. Especially when you're dealing with such a limited amount of opinions amongst thousands that consist of the entire player base. Did you even try to understand what i was saying; or merely noted all my points for the simple fact of replying to them?

-It wasn't a "theory" it was an analogy, and not every anology will be perfectly relavent in all aspects of the connection. Especially one as complicated as the one i had chosen to make. The fact that you picked a flaw that exists within the analogy that doesn't really relate to the the fact i'm trying to influence this persons motivation to aim higher, shows exactly how unwilling you are to try and understand what i am saying; and more interested in invalidating my point. Because it appears to me like you're seeing red rather than trying to make a valid point. But maybe that's because you lost the first part of your post.

I just fail to see why my post warrants disregard. Plus yes, i also agree with the thanks feature being applied in this manner, but this likely isn't the case with anyone other than the regulars who notice and ackowlegde it. As i was tempted to simply thank L3eeron and leave it at that, but i just had more to say.

Also, just because something has been said over and over again doesn't make it any less relavent. Nor does it mean it should be said any less. Yes it is tiresome, but it's a valid point. Otherwise it wouldn't be said over and over.

EDIT BY DOX: Please handle any further arguments in a separate thread or personal messages, and keep this thread clear for CONSTRUCTIVE criticism of Stealth's map.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Drizzle

L1: Registered
Dec 19, 2007
What is up with the 45 second respawn times. Put this up on the server, but everyone complained about the respawn time. We had fun when we actually played. Is this going to be fixed or is there suppose to be that long of a wait?