GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
You could try NOT making a surf map.
Also, back on business, boys!

Sir.Something

L1: Registered
Oct 10, 2012
Gimmick maps are perfectly fine... Problem with surf is that every damn map looks exactly the same. It's gotta be possible to spice it up a bit.

It is possible, takes a lot of time tough, which I sadly don't have.

You can look up surf_delusion, I think that this map is a good example.

Mar 20, 2012
It is possible, takes a lot of time tough, which I sadly don't have.

You can look up surf_delusion, I think that this map is a good example.

If it's not worth your time to make a unique surf map, then it shouldn't be worth our time to waste looking at it.

Sound harsh? I'm encouraging you not to just post blindly and actually go and do something interesting.

Last edited:

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
1lS3d

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
If it's not worth your time to make a unique surf map, then it shouldn't be worth our time to waste looking at it.

Sound harsh? I'm encouraging you not to just post blindly and actually go and do something interesting.

unique as opposed to...desert/alpine/desert/alpine/desert/alpine?

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012

Yes, because desert/alpine/desert/alpine/desert/alpine actually fits TF2 style.

Jan 8, 2011
Yyler, is that a rocket/sticky/sentry jumping shortcut, or is it just detailing?

Also the red building needs a horizontal divider.

Mar 20, 2012

Don't look at me. Both my WIP maps are industrial snow and jungle :p

Aesthetics aren't the only thing you can have fun with. Ravidge's third stage of Panic (or Hysteria I think he's calling it now) is a good example of experimentation within a game-type.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Looks like he built the explosion animation for the finale and is previewing it in Hammer.

How do you do that, anyway? Is there some sort of expensive app that'll simulate the explosion for you, or do you have to animate the whole thing by hand?

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Blender does physics simulation, but it's extremely fiddly. It changes every single time you run it which means if you want a specific look, you're going to lose days of your life trying to accomplish it. But the good news is all you have to do is put pieces of your explosion where you want them to start, set some mass and gravity settings, then hit play. All the really hard work it does for you.

I've done basically nothing but that since September.. though a lot of it was teaching myself the limitations of Blender's physics features.