WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
I like your gifs and want them larger and in higher quality. Give me gifs that take several minutes to load. I will love them.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Thoughts?

It looks like you used normal maps to reduce polycount, which would be weird since I've never seen you do that before. Unfortunately, it makes the wrinkles look a little too smooth. Looks more Bioshock than TF2.

And like Void said, needs more fur texture. It doesn't have to be a normal map (and probably shouldn't be); just paint it on.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
It looks like you used normal maps to reduce polycount, which would be weird since I've never seen you do that before. Unfortunately, it makes the wrinkles look a little too smooth. Looks more Bioshock than TF2.

And like Void said, needs more fur texture. It doesn't have to be a normal map (and probably shouldn't be); just paint it on.

The fur suggestions were correct, it helped a lot, and give a good amount of definition. I was hesitant because it's a fine detail that I really don't like to bother with in tf2 items sometimes, but it worked out. I've used normal maps before for things like this, not just for details, but for form, you've probably just never noticed them. I still don't like how source handles normal maps (and I've already made a large fool of myself on that topic, see the manor thread). Here's some hair:

dogbread_wip_13.jpg

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I'm sure the normal maps are handled just like any other engine.

It adds a pass, or draw call, to the model. So instead of having one pass for a diffuse map you have two now. No biggie on one model, especially if it adds detail and saves a lot of polys.
But if every model had 2 passes it's essentially doubling the model count.

Source can handle it just fine though. I think Valve didn't use a lot of normals not for performance as much as art style.

(same thing happens with lightmaps, all terrain is really rendered twice).

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
lookslikenuketownyoushouldquit

I don't like that mailbox, it's in a weird place.

Huckle

L3: Member
May 31, 2010
After finally pulling the thumbs out of my arse and putting in a couple of solid days of work, I finally got the first version of cap 1 and 2 done on cp_rockyroad (name still pending).

Maybe one more day of setting up doors, spawns, skybox and a few lights to make indoor areas not 100% black and this map will be worth alpha status and a thread of its own.

I know you don't get tired of the dev textures.

wipwip.jpg

Mr. Happy

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 16, 2008
I'm sure the normal maps are handled just like any other engine.

It adds a pass, or draw call, to the model. So instead of having one pass for a diffuse map you have two now. No biggie on one model, especially if it adds detail and saves a lot of polys.
But if every model had 2 passes it's essentially doubling the model count.

Source can handle it just fine though. I think Valve didn't use a lot of normals not for performance as much as art style.

(same thing happens with lightmaps, all terrain is really rendered twice).

No. A render pass and a draw call are not the same thing. A render pass is done for the diffuse, the specular, the normal, and whatever others are needed and then they are all composited in the final scene yes, but a single render pass is actually made of multiple draw calls, and multiple render passes do not "increase the poly count." A draw call is required for each group of polygons that does not cross the boundary of a U/V island or smoothing group/hard edge. So, if you had 1 U/V island made up of two smoothing groups (or in XSI a series of hard edges crossing it) that is then two draw calls per render pass.

Secondly, like all modern shader engines the Source engine uses deferred rendering, which means the "triangle count" is only used once and so a model requiring multiple passes does not have "double the poly count". First it fins/strips the U/V (rearranges the triangles such that after the first triangle only one new point is required to define the next), then that information is used for each render pass.