WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Sep 1, 2009
totally got it right, 100% correct.

Its now a funhouse.

Soooooo its a map within a map within a map....

Mapception D:

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
sorry for the double post again, but i did some more work on my weapon

C498176E677571BF7334896550EFA1FF2E0BEE0C

Looks pretty cool, but seems like you got the shadows on the wear backwards.

Chipped paint or torn paper would shadow down onto the underlying base, not back up around itself.

But still, I think any shadow there would be pretty minimal.

Yours makes it look like blobs of something on top, and the shadows look like a bad photoshop shadow.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
This is probably a bad idea that won't work and therefore I probably won't finish making even a single alpha of it.

pXtBi.jpg

English Mobster

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 10, 2011
3000 units, yes. I want to break it up some, but at the same time it keeps Heavies in check and there are two alternate flanking routes to get around it:
1. An underground maintenance hallway thing.
2. The rooms you see beyond either door there.
It's a mid/KOTH point (Technically, it shall be a 5 CP, but I've of the mindset that a map's mid defines the entire map, so I'm testing it out as an independent KOTH point until I'm happy with it), so some sightline shouldn't be too much of an issue regardless.

Last edited:

English Mobster

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 10, 2011
looks a bit tight
Yeah, I'm worried about that. I've had problems with overscaling in the past; I have a bad feeling this one is underscaled. The point area itself is about 1000 wide by 1500 long, but there are so many ways to spam down on the point that I may need to expand it some. I've never worked with the CP gametype before; I've released alphas for 3 maps thus far and all have been Payload.
Regardless, it's easier to scale things up than to scale them down, I've found, so hopefully we won't have too much of an issue.
I enjoy how one person says it's too big and another says it's too small.
What is with your BATT map?
This isn't Nippon; this is cp_paradiso. Nippon has another alpha in the works, I just need to seal all the new areas. I completely tore out the second point and redid it; if I tried I could probably have another alpha ready by Wednesday. I've been burning myself out with it and I had an idea knocking around my head for another map set on a desert island. That's turned into Paradiso.

Nippon's issue is that it's pretty, but it's not the funnest map in the world. I was blown away by Wimples' BATT; I need to do a complete overhaul if I want to compete. Every single point needs work, so I'm going to overhaul each in stages. I'm making a minor edit to CP 1/BLU spawn as well (Adding a cave system underneath to allow BLU team a slightly more protected route to the cart in setup a la Goldrush stage 3; this also connects to a new building on the "lower ground" where I had shitty displacements before).
Basically, what I've found with Nippon is that BLU steamrolls through everything. BLU has a win ratio similar to Gravel Pit, and I need to fix that. I'm moving the RED spawn for points 1 and 2 back a bit to make CP 2 more of a challenge (everything but the track has been completely redone), and I'm going to see how that plays before I think about how to fix CP 3 and the final.

Last edited: