[wip] Ctf_spit

Bonafide

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 18, 2008
I finished on the main entrance. Perhaps just a couple of more props. (maybe I will change the door arch too, not sure)

entrance.jpg

Front of base (obviously a WIP) I need some opinions if this looks good or not before I finish it because it so time consuming.

WIPfront.jpg

R3dRuM

Feb 13, 2008
Looking really good! and really tf2ish from the last time i've seen it, definatly finish the outside part, to flip it to the other side, without too much hastle, select all of the brushes on the finished side then copy them, then ctrl+m and select scale and select -1, once that is done, delete the old side and just put the newer one in place.

Bonafide

Mar 18, 2008
I have finished both the red and blu bases (almost, cuz they are never quite finished :laugh:)

I have mocked up a very rough outside area and put the top of the 2fort bridge prop in to show some scale . Ignore the lighting too, its wrong.

If you have any suggestions on what to do with the outside area feel free to throw them my way. I probably wont be working on it for a couple of days.

redbase.jpg

blubase.jpg

redbase2.jpg

Bonafide

Mar 18, 2008
Yea I thought I would ressurect this thread because I need more help. (Is he still workin on this piece of crap you are askin youself :tongue_smilie:)

Basically I think Ive finished the outside. Oringially I was just going to wall the whole thing in with cliffs but I was told it looked like crap. So I built a skybox etc.

Anyway, my problem is that I think the area between the 2 bases is perhaps a little barren. What Can I put there?

(Screens without vis or rad because it takes way too long to compile this map for testing. Blue represents water)

REDSIDE.jpg

A sneak peak at part of the skybox/top area :cool1:

BLUSIDE.jpg

Bonafide

Mar 18, 2008
Well, the 2 buildings at either side can be ran through, there is a door on both sides, so they kinda are sniper cover. the water in the middle can be jumped by scouts too.

Im not sure how to add more sniper cover.

Trypto

L1: Registered
Apr 1, 2008
Add more barricades, barrels, etc to crouch behind... or other props/brushes to block some fire.

TotalMark

Feb 13, 2008
Im not sure how to add more sniper cover.

Litter. Put props all over the map, just toss 'em around (rotate) like they would be in real life. Make sure characters can still walk between them, and entrances are covered from snipers.

Train containers, those metal wall things from tc_hydro, sniper fences, crates, etc.

Given the setting, maybe you could even squeeze a rock formation in there.

Your skybox rocks though:thumbup1:.

Sacrifist

L3: Member
Nov 21, 2007
has anyone played Well_Classic? He has green water in that map. How did he do that? I think that would look much cooler.

It is going to be harmful, not just water. I think after the first time people fall into it they will learn their lesson. That is why I want it to be more distinctive than water. The original map had lava in the middle :p
pm me your email address and ill send you the water I used in Well_Classic. I think there is a lava texture somewhere around here that you can use.

Last edited:

Bonafide

Mar 18, 2008
should i just release it as it is as V1 and get some feedback? Im kinda stuck for ideas.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
no, ctf_spit_a1 or ctf_spit_b1

not "ctf_spit" untill the final final final release

Earl

Dec 21, 2007
Looks good, vrad works wonders!

You might want to disable shadows on the tracks and up the scale on the water texture though.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Maybe it's just me, but I see a lot of blue texture over the red base... and red structures over the blu base?

ChronoTriggerFan

L420: High Member
Feb 3, 2008
Couple of problems here, but i have addressed them in picture form!

2521228379_32b2376be8.jpg

This exit should be bigger, as it is quite difficult to drop through it.

2521228453_b1dd0d3c4d.jpg

couple of design issues here. there are some HL2 textures, (the floor and the brick wall) and there is a blue light in that hallway, not really fitting for a red base.

2522048214_fb4a44f6c8.jpg

jumping of this area hurts you. The area should be lowered a bit so you don't get hurt when you fall down.

2522048236_ff129a42ae.jpg

The sewers would be nicer if you didn't have to swim through them, possible solutions would be making the sewer rise up at the beginning, so that you can walk through the water without swimming.

2521228573_7b28918bb2.jpg

This area should be player clipped of, as i can surf on it, which is bad.

2522048340_858f329a51.jpg

There is a HL2 texture! i personally would make this arch opaque, it looks out of place.

2522048512_63f7818f14.jpg

This ladder works, but you have to jump up to get to climb it.. I would suggest making player clip stairs that are really thin, instead of climbing the tiny stairs on the ladder structure.

2522048572_4239b017f2.jpg

This vent is a bit hard to get to, so i would suggest making a catwalk extend over to. TF2 is not a game where difficulties in getting places belong.

2521228845_9e9e641e15.jpg

An interesting concept, but there should be more signs and arrows informing the player to go here instead of their intel room.
Signs like "bring the enemy intelligence this way" would fit perfect.

Hope these help you.

Demitri Omni

L2: Junior Member
Apr 18, 2008
I'd highly suggest switching the goo to lava and download the lava texture that's on the site, if you can get away with some red-hued lighting in the room.

If not, I'd see if you can mess with one of the water textures to look somewhat greenish or something. I don't think the texture looks ugly, so much as I think that it looks out of place considering the constants that TF2 puts into place (i.e. cartoonish textures).