[WIP] CTF_Icefield

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
You're not playing in an active environment. The large health pack is in what may be the highest traffic area of the map. It is constantly being used, so I really wouldn't expect to find it there every time. I do not mind 2 stage jumps Cerious. I am also still considering removing the push, but I consider it a more elegant solution than lowering the ceiling. Also, the health packs that are on the ground promote that area more. You have to give up your height advantage to take the health. I issue a lot of my health and ammo locations like this- either to promote defense or offense or reward different behavior. The 200 ammo in the center means you'll often have engineers bravely trying to set up in the middle area instead of promoting turtling in the back areas.

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
Wait, why lower the ceiling? And the push also affects rocket jumps that are more vertical, limiting his overall mobility. The push was a terrible idea to start out with.

Cerious

Aug 10, 2008
Alright, I'll stop it with the jumping stuff (I have over 100 hours with demo and soldier each, so seeing my main transportation nerfed for the sake of the intel being jumped quickly angers me).

drunkie

L1: Registered
Jul 21, 2008
So umm, with out play testing with people...the only things I can think of this time that would seem unbalanced are the long sight lines in the middle. I think a sniper with with 50+ hours of playing would be able to just demolish this map. I know the sniper in my clan would just ruin any enjoyment I would get out of this map if I was on the opposite team.

Also on a non-layout note, you might want to consider getting a different model somehow for the flag. It might be able to help players establish that the map is different from standard CTF if they are not trying to give their teams intel case to the enemy. Maybe make it a bomb of some sorts. (Or being goofy, coal to throw in the other teams heater in hopes of over heating it to explode :p )

oxy

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 27, 2007
Hey guy,

This is looking great, I love snow themes. If you are looking for custom props, textures or models then let me know, I would like to help you out with this project. I made the ambulance and would love to contribute to the tf2maps.net community but don't have the time to map.

..oxy..

uma plata

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 20, 2009
I love the layout, and how you obviously put a lot of thought into the likely sentry positions, and ways to counter them

And those texture shots, wow. Some maps have white colored dirt, but this one will actually have snow

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Thanks for the offer for oxy, be sure to let you know if we need models.

Anyway, starting to detail. This is all -very- WIP, but the center area is getting close to how I'd like it to feel:
ctficefielda50000bh8.jpg

ctficefielda50001qs2.jpg

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
Hot damn, that looks awesome.

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
The only thing I REALLY don't like is that rock texture on the house, looks like plastic.
Otherwise, cool.

maggotrain

Jan 31, 2009
Wow! ,

any idea when we can expect the final version?

What servers are playtesting this, it would like to try this one asap.

Altaco

Jul 3, 2008
I still think that the map is rather small, and there should be another, riskier route past the middle area (maybe underwater, underneath ice?), and maybe a bit more to the bases so that the spawn isn't RIGHT next to the cap zone.

Cerious

Aug 10, 2008
I don't get why you insist on making a 32-player map (unless you're making it for servers like 2f2f and other spamfest-instant respawn servers) but it looks nice visually. Props to Ace for making the textures.

Suggestion about the sky: Have you seen an arctic sky? They're very cloudless and the sun is quite bright (this is why snow is so bright most of the time). Unless you're planning on a map that takes place in an area like Yosemite Valley, I'd choose the sky that appears in a map like Hydro or Ravine (or one without a cloud that is bright at the horizon).

drunkie

Jul 21, 2008
The textures on this are looking great man, really impressive. I also think the new cover you added in the middle should help against Snipers :D

Only thing that stands out to me is the wood on top of the stone bridges. I did a google image search on stone bridges, and I couldn't find any with wood tops. So I don't know how married you are to the wood on top of them, but they just look out of place to me.