WIP CTF_Convoy

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
There weren't a lot of areas forward of the intel that seemed good for setting up defences either.

Yeah, I found that it was fairly easy to lock down the intel with two sentry guns inside the room. I tried looking for a different place to set up camp, particularly someplace I could prevent enemy engineers from getting onto the intel rooftop, but anything that was a chokepoint was also easily sniped/rocketed. The only other places a sentry gun would last more than ten seconds were the easily avoided corridors towards the back.

Not all maps have to be super engineer friendly, but by making the intel room just about the only valid place to set up a sentry, it almost guarantees defensive turtling.

Noggin

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 17, 2007
I found it to be a sniper fest, need more barricades! I think their should be maybe a bridge up nearer the front.

Great work tho.

MacNetron

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
I've played it once now, but unfortunately it was me against 2 clan-members. Hehe, but I only lost 3-2 :p (sometimes I do think I can play this game a bit).
Looking forward to play it on a better populated server. I like it. Not really TF2, but it has it's own atmosphere. Well done.

Godling

L2: Junior Member
Oct 26, 2007
This map is now on rotation on our server and everyone loves it. I could personally play this 24/7, it's such a blast. Great work.

Suggestions/Request:
  • Have the music on a continuous loop with something additional for when the Int is grabbed? Sounds great and we all miss the music when it stops. Makes it feel like we are playing a movie not a game.
  • Varied terrain. Would it be possible to see a mountain and tunnel ahead that the convoy then goes through? Including the enclosed sound environment?
  • A day/night cycle?
  • A way to prevent sentries from being built on the ground and air between the rigs? This is caused by Engies jumping off the rig as the rock outcrops zoom by and building their sentries on the rock. The rock, of coarse, keeps moving and leaves the sentry floating in between the rigs. An exploit that really kills the level if there are no admins around to prevent it.

Last edited:

jahrain

L1: Registered
Jan 5, 2008
Heres some major changes I made for V2.

- Added more cover the area outside the spawn area. Its now nearly impossible to snipe people in this area. (look for the glass inbetween the arcs)
ctf_convoy_v20000.jpg

- Added jump pads in replace of the upper bridge to provide faster access to the other side.

ctf_convoy_v20005.jpg

- Gutted out the interior near the back end of the vehicle to reduce the cluttering of that area as well as providing more space for building a forward defense from a newly added bridge that provides much quicker access to the other side
ctf_convoy_v20008.jpg

- As mentioned earlier, I added a lower bridge closer to the spawn area to create a quicker route for players who aren't so agile, and it is completely closed off from the outside to provide complete cover.

ctf_convoy_v20006.jpg

I would add more pics, but it only allows 4 images per post which is retarded.

Other notes:
I did some small other minor changes, such as added a 1 way door that is the entrance to the lower interior area outside the spawn on the side that is closest to the other team's vehicle. This is to help prevent the other team from spamming the spawn area from both doorways if they have taken over the area.
http://jahrain.com/tf2/wip/convoy_v2/ctf_convoy_v20002.jpg

I had a hard time trying to get the newly added bridge to both fit into the design as well as provide a covered passage from one deck to another. This was the best I was able to come up with, which is that it is supposed to be a tire servicing area to access the and maintain the tires while in motion that was hijacked by the opposing vehicle and had a bridge added.
http://jahrain.com/tf2/wip/convoy_v2/ctf_convoy_v20014.jpg

- Added some more cover around the area forward of the intel room.
http://jahrain.com/tf2/wip/convoy_v2/ctf_convoy_v20009.jpg

- Added a effect that makes the screen rumble a bit to give a better illusion of motion.

- Shorted the time added when capturing significantly, as well as hid the game round timer from the hud to be consistent with valve CTF maps.

- Fixed the wind from blowing away rockets. It was okay to do this now that the spawn area cannot be spammed from the other side with the added exterior cover.

- Removed rocks moving in between the 2 vehicles so crap cannot be built on them and not collide with the newly added bridge.
All the rest of my WIP shots for version 2 of ctf_convoy can be viewer here:
http://jahrain.com/tf2/wip/convoy_v2/

Last edited:

Scoobingsthe2nd

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 11, 2007
Some good changes. Maybe that'll make it easier for people who can take out Sentry guns to get over to the flag :)

Godling

Oct 26, 2007
Some awesome changes. Really looking forward to slapping this into rotation.

No 24/7 music playing? :(

Nice to see the sniper fest has been toned down... even though that's my fav class for this map.

Also, seeing as how the new version isn't actually out yet and I can't test it, I would like to mention that you can also build turrets on the actual ground between the 2 rigs, not just the passing rocks. Is this still a problem in the new version or can you place a brush/entity out there to prevent engy builds?

Edit:
  • Checked out the beta of v2 and yes, you can still build sentries on the ground between the rigs.
  • Miss the glass in the first screen already...:( The glass really was nice as it would have allowed you to see more and the anticipation of what is going on would have added a nice level of tension.
  • Also, the door on the right in the 1st screen only opens from one direction. Is this intentional?

Last edited:
H

Haas

to prevent sg building you can add a brush no build but that other idea of a moving invisible brush over the ground is i think a good solution.

Godling

Oct 26, 2007
fyi... I only looked at the beta of v2 on my local machine. Any chance of getting permission to host the beta on our server or would you prefer we wait for public release?

Earl

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 21, 2007
I played this last night on a full server and had a blast. It was fun sticky-jumping across the the other side (it's challenging, but fun) and dropping down in the cockpit and stealing the intelligence, catching the Eng's unaware.

Good job! I like the reference to AS_CONVOY of UT2004.

jahrain

Jan 5, 2008
Edit:
  • Checked out the beta of v2 and yes, you can still build sentries on the ground between the rigs.
  • Miss the glass in the first screen already...:( The glass really was nice as it would have allowed you to see more and the anticipation of what is going on would have added a nice level of tension.
  • Also, the door on the right in the 1st screen only opens from one direction. Is this intentional?
That was a really old beta of V2. The screens I posted was from a newer version which has most of the fixes I posted.

Also, the door being one way was intensional. It was to help prevent attackers from spamming the spawn area.

If you want to host the map for testing, contact me on steam: jahrain17. I can send you the latest version. I would highly recommend not using that old version you found.

Godling

Oct 26, 2007
That was a really old beta of V2. The screens I posted was from a newer version which has most of the fixes I posted.

Also, the door being one way was intensional. It was to help prevent attackers from spamming the spawn area.

If you want to host the map for testing, contact me on steam: jahrain17. I can send you the latest version. I would highly recommend not using that old version you found.

Thanks a ton for the response.

As I said, I only checked out that map on my local machine. Wouldn't have dreamed of putting it on our server without first talking to you about it.

Some sorta 1-way signage would be cool for that door you mention. Any feedback on being able to build sentries on the ground?

Also, we have 2, 32 player servers (modded) that are full every night. If you would like to drop by I'd be happy to load Convoy (regardless of what map is being played) for you to check out with a full server?

jahrain

Jan 5, 2008
My server is back up with the newer beta of v2.
Server IP: 72.234.227.57:50473

Last edited:

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
omg i love your map sooo much XD its the best custom imho because i OWN with demoman on it

Colt Seavers

Dec 30, 2007
I'm running V2 on the main Playground Teamplay server - left it in the rotation for a second week we are all enjoying it so much. A vast improvement on the original betas - significantly, it now feels like you really have lots of route options, can enjoy what Demomen enjoy best - jumping to unlikely places for spurise attacks. Love playing Soldier on it - now the wind's stopped blowing me rockets away :p more cover means the snipers are not so powerful. The fact that it's a 'sampled map' takes nothing from the fact you saw it appropriate to do a tf2 version - inspired!

I'm very impressed by the effective simplicity or the scrolling background - really you have got this so much better than before - it all feels natural and exciting.

Now people are getting to know it, there is no doubt its becoming a server favourite. Some hate it but meh - they can rejoin after and number very few. A small detail - but i love the way you can drop down into the train by the intel :D Very action movie :cool:

This is the point where i'm supposed to sugegst improvements. I had many after the early versions - and thought you were off track with things like the strong winds etc. By v2, you've addressed all my gripes. Maybe it's because each game is so exciting and i'm too imersed it it - but i have nothing to suggest except that maybe you make lots more maps :D innovative and special :thumbup1:

Last edited:

Earl

Dec 21, 2007
A lot of people are asking what the music is for this map -- where's it from?