[WIP] cp_siege

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
I only had a couple of minutes to hop into the playtesting some hours ago (because of some bbq). That's why I cannot say much about the gameplay. I will rather give some quick design thoughts attached as five screenshots.

All those orange and gray textures made me feel a little lost because they are leading the eyes to nowhere. You're going to change that of course so as Youme said: add some textures already..and maybe some direction arrows.

screenshots zipped (651kb)

I hope this might be a little helpful to you.

Dec 25, 2007
Updated once again: cp_siege_a4b.7z 4MB.

This fixes a couple of serious bugs in a4, and adds in a couple more textures to see what they look like.

Dec 25, 2007
I'm slowly working my way through cp_siege, detailing it thoroughly, as well as recreating bits of it that were problematic or caused optimisation issues. I've done about half of the first stage so far, and will have a beta of that stage alone when it's done.

To keep you interested in the meantime, here's a sneak preview of what's coming:

Blu spawnroom

Moat

CP1 (WIP)

Dec 25, 2007
What part of WIP don't you understand? :p

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I don't know, some people just can't take friendly advice...

...so I'll give you some more:
The chimney on the wooden building looks a little big, isnt there a smaller version of that model?
the lights in the spawnroom need some form of glow, valuve use two point_spotlights for each light, as do I.

soup!

L1: Registered
Jun 30, 2008
Looking good! I like the castle theme!

BTW how do you make those rounded corners, like in the first picture in the first post.

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
I prefer env_lightglow for fluorescent lights. Even if it's supposed to be particularly dusty, the visible light shaft from a fixture like those is going to be rectangular/trapazoidal rather than conical. Attempting to force it with two point_spotlights can look really awful.

The best I've seen combines an env_lightglow with 2-3 point_spotlights. I believe this is how Storm did them in happyfarm/happycow and they look excellent.

Dec 25, 2007
It's no longer castle themed, soup. Those round corners are done with several brushes, but that whole cliff is now done with displacements.

Youme said:
The chimney on the wooden building looks a little big, isnt there a smaller version of that model?
the lights in the spawnroom need some form of glow, valuve use two point_spotlights for each light, as do I.

Yeah, I see what you mean about the chimney. As for the grass, I hadn't painted any alpha yet on those disps.

I used to have point_spotlights on those spawnroom lights, but they just looked wrong. Not so much because of the two glows (which as you can in the pic below I've got in the sewer), but because they made it look to dim/dusty in the spawnroom. I'll do some experimenting on that front.

Last edited:

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
In this case I think env_lightglow would work best (and not just because it's my preference ;P), since you're trying to avoid an overly dusty look. The ceiling area is dark enough that someone looking up at a light will probably see a glare. If the upper part of the room were also brightly illuminated, it would make more sense to leave it alone, but there's a pretty decent lighting contrast in the screenshot you posted.