Why we should care about quality.

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Cool, i just talked about this issue in the chat, and nice view on this shimtz grats!Now, a friend is now liking battlecreek, a horrible map with hl2 textures and its just a sniperfield. Well just keep in mind its shi* i mean "not so good" wink wink.

I asked him: why you like the map so much?
He replyd:

-it's just a no nonsense map
-no extra openings or hidden passages, no multiple routes
-you just have to break trough
me : hmm ok
me: thx for your opinion
-but I'm a rusher, always been one.

So breaching trough? Isn't that what makes dustbowl fun? And the other tf2 maps? Im sorry but that map is a sniperfest, breaching trough? You can build a sentry IN THE ENEMY THEIR SPAWN for godsake...

I think that is why they like to play it, the maps have serious issues so they can mishandle the other team on a lame way, what you can't do in the original maps. Of course it is fun building a sentry and when they respawn they have no chance to run away and you get 100 kills and the server bleeds empty and everybody is cursing etc etc....

We can't stop this and we never will. It's just another kind of people I think. They just go for the frags, that's it.

Koei

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 23, 2008
(Unless, of course, they happen to have access to a server that happens to be host to some courteous and responsive players.)

Luckily I have this. They are all from the same community I'm from, and can easily get 12+ players to test a map. Advantage of that is also that alpha builds won't hurt the reputation of the map, because it's all kept internal and they knew we will fix it (me and a mate are creating a cp_ style map, expect early pics soon).

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
But I think the idea is to differentiate it from normal mass-user reviews. Outlining very specific things from select number of knowledgeable users.

I've been coding a system on my personal site lately and I'm going to eventually post my own map reviews on there at some point. I already have the user registration system almost fully functional, so I'll allow people to register on my site and allow them to rate/post comments / write their own detailed reviews if I approve them. This is going to be purely for the maps I find worthy as well, so basically no BS.

Granted, this system may be a ways off yet, but I do have a goal :) It's mostly to further my knowledge of databases and web coding.

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
It's probably for the best that these "official reviews" or whatever ends up coming out of this are only reviewed by the same group of reliable people. Maybe the judges that get picked for the current contest could stay on to rate maps that the community nominates? Get a hall of fame or something going?

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Well, as I mentioned before, consistency of reviews becomes one of the most valuable things it would offer. I see it as less important that the reviewer be a god of level design and more important that he/she is the same person who has done other reviews. The cast of reviewers shouldn't be something that's constantly changing. I would even venture to say there probably shouldn't be anymore than three.

Scotland Tom

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 19, 2008
So Shmitz, for ease of understanding, you're suggesting creating a review site (or review section of this site) that reviews maps in the same way that a site like Gamespot reviews games. There are a few reviewers, one of whom would sit down with the map, play it, and write up a full review article, rating included.

This still sounds like a fantastic idea to me. It would give the community a source of consistent, detailed, quality ratings that could serve as benchmarks for players, server admins, and mappers. Again, just tell me where to send a sample review and I'll apply for a reviewer position :)

Vilepickle

Banned
Oct 25, 2007
I don't think it should review betas.

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
The original post is so obviously well thought out and written. This entire discussion has been a joy to read. I have definitely found a great place.

I think the idea of a 'hall of fame' showcase for exceptional maps produced by our community is a great idea. It's a natural step in the progression of the website. I am leaning towards no more than 5 reviewers for the sake of consistency. I am also excited by the prospect of previews or spotlights on up and coming projects. I believe treating them more like game releases and having some serious coverage can only be a good thing for all parties involved.

On an unrelated note... last week I made my first donation to this website. I have never donated to a site other than my own clan's.

Threads like this tell me I made a wise decision with my money. TF2Maps.net rocks and I am so proud to be a part of it.