Why do you not like CTF?

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
We are here talking about why people don't like ctf and I propose stuff I want to test on my "own" map. I'm not telling everyone to do it and that the actual ctf is shit or anything else.

Because I was talking about the Shot Clock mechanic that valve added in an update and you responded by assuming that it was something unrelated; otherwise you wouldn't have said how 60 seconds is "way too long".

The whole point of it is to let it be fair even when maps make it easy to remove the intel from its room. It's easier to return the flag without it being overpowered.

A lot of the posts in this thread make wild assumptions based only on things that have happened from among a small set of games. But there are other games out there that have good CTF and don't behave anything like standard TF2 or Quake. They aren't the only options, and when your entire theory only even begins to consider them and nothing else, you're putting yourself down.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
But when your flag is in the opposite team area, It's just nearly impossible to return it to your base, 60 sec is too long.
That's not a bad thing here, since progress is a good thing.
Hang on hang on hang on... I just had an idea...

What if... the entire base is the capture zone? Like, all you have to do is get it through any entrance and bam, it's capped. Because like 3D said, 90% of the time it's a sure thing by that point anyway, and the other 10% you're just penalizing teams for not turtling even harder than they already are. Meanwhile, you're making it take slightly longer to achieve a capture and spawn the next briefcase, which gives defenders slightly longer to set up new defenses. In 2fort it's especially egregious because you have such a long route back to the intel room. Heck, isn't that why the original 2fort put its capture zone in the loft in the first place?

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Meanwhile, you're making it take slightly longer to achieve a capture and spawn the next briefcase, which gives defenders slightly longer to set up new defenses. In 2fort it's especially egregious because you have such a long route back to the intel room. Heck, isn't that why the original 2fort put its capture zone in the loft in the first place?

This also leads to the interesting problem of having enemy engineers camping in your team's intelligence, completely preventing you from capping.

God damn, why did they even add a roof to the bridge in the first place? It led to a lot of the problems modern 2fort has.

wareya

L420: High Member
Jun 17, 2012
God damn, why did they even add a roof to the bridge in the first place? It led to a lot of the problems modern 2fort has.

But... But... Snipers! Idiot-friendliness! Testing with teams made of nothing but players who refuse to countersnipe!