weird error texture on glass

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by basilhs333, Jul 16, 2017.

1. basilhs333

basilhs333 L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    it's weird. i made many maps and in some i dont find this problem but in other maps like mvm_snowflake i can't fix it. what should i do in order to fix the problem? i would be very happy to get an answear as soon is possible thanks :D

http://imgur.com/a/XJKbd

2. PenolAkushari

PenolAkushari Never Played MvM

Positive Ratings:
    I think that's because of missing "cubemaps". Those are supposed to be made in-game by engine, once you'll put "buildcubemaps" command in console or something like that, after what they'll be built-in bsp. Though, to make things a but more prettier, you'll need cubemap entity near those reflective textures and stuff, as "reference" where to build them.

A bit more info can be found on Valve's hammer and stuff wiki, so here it is: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Cubemaps

• Like Like x 1
  3. basilhs333

Positive Ratings:
    so i just launch the map and on the consol i write buildcubemaps and thats it? cause i tried adding the cubemaps close to the window but it didnt work.

4. PenolAkushari

Positive Ratings:
    Supposed to be like so. Though, as mentioned on Valve wiki, it's also suggested to set mat_specular to 0 before loading map, to sped up the process. And I think that's supposed to be it, though, you got at least one cubemap entity on map? Because I think otherwise it might screw up something.

5. basilhs333

Positive Ratings:
    ok thanks

6. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    It's not for speed reasons. It's to avoid capturing bad reflections in the new cubemaps.

7. PenolAkushari

Positive Ratings:
    Seems like I misread some stuff on wiki. Pardon for misinformation here, missed that they told to do mat_specular 0 before loading the map to sped up the process, since while map would be loaded in and then mat_specular 0 would be done, then it would "get stuck" loding stuff for some time.

8. MOCOLONI

MOCOLONI L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I myself wrote that since it was a much more efficient method. I don't know if anybody else realized that loading a map with "mat_specular 1" to later switch to "0" is just pointless and a waste of time, along that other "mat_reloadallmaterials" command, but either way it wasn't posted on the wiki. That command is also automatically fired if loading a map with sv_cheats enabled for some reason, which Does freeze your game and actually nothing else besides that.

9. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings: