vvis and vrad "crash"

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Or use an external compiler like CompilePal or VBCT, both of them add a GUI to the default Hammer compiler, and another big plus is the fact that compiling with both of these doesn't cause Hammer to hang, meaning you can continue your work (and it doesn't cause you to think the compiler crashed).

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
As for it using using all your CPU while you compile, you can tell it to use less via the -threads command. Normally I would say google your CPU to see how many threads it can use, but in your case we already know that yours has 8 because it says so right in your compile logs.

Next time you compile, switch to the advanced compiler and add -threads # at the front, so ti looks like this:
hqCW74j.png

Replace the # with the number you wish to use. As you can see I have mine set to 3. In your case, I'd say start with 6. It will compile slower, but it will take less of your CPU so you can still at least use the internet / listen to music / whatever you do.
I would go for the -low flag instead. That makes the tool run with a low priority, letting other processes claim cpu time first.

henke37

aa
Sep 23, 2011
The -low flag should in theory not hurt compile times. Assuming that you were doing nothing at all while compiling that is. While the scheduler does try and give other processes cpu time, it is still bound by the simple rule of not running threads that are busy waiting for something else. Meaning that it is forced to pick a low priority thread.

Zeklyn

L2: Junior Member
Jul 30, 2016
The -low flag should in theory not hurt compile times. Assuming that you were doing nothing at all while compiling that is. While the scheduler does try and give other processes cpu time, it is still bound by the simple rule of not running threads that are busy waiting for something else. Meaning that it is forced to pick a low priority thread.

It took 4 hours to get to 9.../10 then it crashed without anything in the background. I'll try the suggestions tomorrow

Gale

L1: Registered
Aug 28, 2016
I noticed the compile window does the "(Not Responding)" thing when dwm.exe is running, which is a program that's needed for Windows Aero. When I end it I can watch the compile go by normally. But you're still best off using a third-party compiler as someone kindly pointed out. Good luck!