vrad.exe has stopped responding.

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by ParanoidPan, Sep 30, 2012.

1. ParanoidPan

ParanoidPan L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Exactly that, no clue why.

I was not doing anything at the time of the crash.

Code:
    materialPath: c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\hypernova1234\team fortress 2\tf\materials
    Loading C:\Users\Sgt. Pepper\Desktop\Mappling\Pootisworld\(DAY) pootisworld\pootisworldv3.vmf
    ConVarRef mat_reduceparticles doesn't point to an existing ConVar
    Can't find surfaceprop stone for material EGYPT/HYRO_BORDER_BUMP_NEW, using default
    Patching WVT material: maps/pootisworldv3/dev/dev_blendmeasure_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/pootisworldv3/brick/blendcobbletocobblesnow001_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/pootisworldv3/egypt/sky_sand_waves_01_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/pootisworldv3/egypt/sky_sand_grass_01_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/pootisworldv3/egypt/sand_floor_blend_04_with_grass_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/pootisworldv3/egypt/sand_floor_blend_03_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/pootisworldv3/egypt/sand_floor_blend_04_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/pootisworldv3/egypt/sand_grass_blend_01_wvt_patch
    Patching WVT material: maps/pootisworldv3/egypt/sand_grass_blend_02_wvt_patch
    fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
    0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...100...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10Processing areas...done (0)
    Building Faces...done (1)
    Chop Details...done (0)
    Find Visible Detail Sides...
    Merged 24 detail faces...done (0)
    Merging details...done (0)
    FixTjuncs...
    PruneNodes...
    WriteBSP...
    done (0)
    writing C:\Users\Sgt. Pepper\Desktop\Mappling\Pootisworld\(DAY) pootisworld\pootisworldv3.prt...Building visibility clusters...
    done (0)
    Creating default LDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
       skybox/sky_hydro_01*.vmt
     ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
    Creating default HDR cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
       skybox/sky_hydro_01*.vmt
     ! Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.
    Finding displacement neighbors...
    Finding lightmap sample positions...
    Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    Building Physics collision data...
    done (1) (648378 bytes)
    Placing detail props : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
    Water found with no water_lod_control entity, creating a default one.
    Compacting texture/material tables...
    Reduced 3137 texinfos to 1965
    Reduced 215 texdatas to 171 (7856 bytes to 5900)
    Writing C:\Users\Sgt. Pepper\Desktop\Mappling\Pootisworld\(DAY) pootisworld\pootisworldv3.bsp
    16 seconds elapsed

4 threads
    reading c:\users\sgt. pepper\desktop\mappling\pootisworld\(day) pootisworld\pootisworldv3.bsp
    reading c:\users\sgt. pepper\desktop\mappling\pootisworld\(day) pootisworld\pootisworldv3.prt
    4780 portalclusters
    14992 numportals
    0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10Optimized: 974156 visible clusters (10.72%)
    Total clusters visible: 9091469
    Average clusters visible: 1901
    Building PAS...
    Average clusters audible: 3687
    visdatasize:4691616  compressed from 5736000
    writing c:\users\sgt. pepper\desktop\mappling\pootisworld\(day) pootisworld\pootisworldv3.bsp
    19 seconds elapsed

[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
    [34 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\users\sgt. pepper\desktop\mappling\pootisworld\(day) pootisworld\pootisworldv3.bsp
    18065 faces
    19926810 square feet [2869460480.00 square inches]
    1 Displacements
    144 Square Feet [20756.34 Square Inches]
    18065 patches before subdivision
    zero area child patch
    zero area child patch
    zero area child patch
    zero area child patch
    zero area child patch
    zero area child patch
    zero area child patch
    zero area child patch
    zero area child patch
    zero area child patch
    zero area child patch
    zero area child patch
    zero area child patch
    537307 patches after subdivision
    light has _fifty_percent_distance of 596.000000 but _zero_percent_distance of 0.000000
    light has _fifty_percent_distance of 596.000000 but _zero_percent_distance of 0.000000
    light has _fifty_percent_distance of 754.000000 but _zero_percent_distance of 0.000000
    472 direct lights
    0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...100...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8..
    Will provide more info if any is needed.

2. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    You might want to fix those incorrectly setup lights.

3. ParanoidPan

Positive Ratings:
    What incorrectly setup lights and how? I am new at this, so you have to dumb this down a bit for me, sorry.

4. Faux Rhinoceros

aa Faux Rhinoceros Also known as Dr. Element

Positive Ratings:
    Whats striking me is that your map seems to have an ABSURD amount of portalclusters, which leads me to think your map desperately needs some optimization.

Down below is some numbers from one of my maps. Take that as reference.

5. henke37

aa henke37

Positive Ratings:
    That. The 50 % distance has to be less than the 0 % distance.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. ParanoidPan

Positive Ratings:
    Oh. Duh. I don't know how I missed that.

I am not too sure what the optimization guide was telling me to do, but here we go.

First off, how big is your map? The one I am working on isn't a serious map, it's one for screwing around, so it is big. The main room is a massive area divided in half by a wall with 2 doorways carved into it. It is pretty huge, and there isn't much I can do to optimize how much of it is visible. The rooms accessible by teleports are small enough so that shouldn't be a problem. I have skyboxes set up correctly. I don't think there are any leaks. Going by the definition of "physics object" from the optimization guide, there is only one prop_physics in the map, as a test. As for materials and lighting, I know that my lighting has a few errors (see above) and I am pretty sure I have my materials right.

So... in short I have no idea what to do.

7. ParanoidPan

Positive Ratings:
    Well, I managed to get the map to compile by fixing light distance, and I added nodraw brushes over the skybox brushes. This made compiling work and sped it up, but now the tops of all of the water brushes are invisible.

Any idea what's going on?

8. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Your map is leaking. Check your world geometry for any place that could be leaking your map into the void.
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Leak

If that doesn't work, it might be because you have nodraw on your skybox brushes? I'm not sure if skybox brushes have to have all their sides as the skybox texture, but you should do it just to be sure.

9. Faux Rhinoceros

Positive Ratings:
    yeah, the skybox brushes must, MUST, have the skybox texture on every side.

Try to recompile like that, then check for additional leaks.

10. ParanoidPan

Positive Ratings:
    I created separate brushes with nodraw around the skybox, as my time with one-way walls have lead me to believe that you would be able to simply look through the nodraw from the inside.

An entity snuck out of my map, making a leak :(

Testing now.

Edit: Dr. ninja'ed me.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  11. Faux Rhinoceros

Positive Ratings:
    I see absolutely no reason why you'd make nodraw brushes around the skybox. The skybox already seals the level there :eek:

12. ParanoidPan

Positive Ratings:
    I have locations that can be teleported to floating around the central area, this keeps them from showing up in the skybox and also seemed to speed up compile by a massive amount.

Also, apparently I have quite a few leaks. I thought I had that part down, apparently not.

13. Pocket

aa Pocket func_croc

Positive Ratings:
    From the sound of things, it's not how much is visible at a time that's an issue, as how much the compiler is trying to chop up the open air in your map anyway. You say that practically everything in those two rooms is visible from everywhere? Then any brushwork you have inside them ought to be converted to func_detail. You'd be surprised how much more important it is to func_detail stuff compared to culling what's rendered. In Gravel Pit, for example, all three of the cap buildings are 100% func_detail. Even B, which surprised me.

Also I hope when you say "2 doorways carved into it" you don't mean you literally used Tools > Carve. That's the wrong way to put a hole in anything.

I've been putting my skybox textures on nodraw brushes since day one and never had problems with it. So there goes that theory.

14. Faux Rhinoceros

Positive Ratings:
    Woopsie