Vintage

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
*Gameday Bump. Those who played the map on gameday, please give us some feedback, thanks! :)*

[O]

L3: Member
Mar 21, 2009
map is great. nice choice of theme.

the interesting thing is that even though you guys havent started on the textures and details, you can still already feel the theme, because those 3 buildigns in the middle look and feel like barns.

its nice to have that rythm of same external building in a row, yet slightly different internally. so it feels familiar in a good way, yet still has that nice variety.

i think its well balanced as it is. that sam variety gives you different angles of attack.

its so well done that i feel that its quite honestly a waste to have it as an arena map. aNY arena expeinece is over so fast you cant experience the map enough and it especially goes for your guys' map.

those 3 barns rarely get used all together. a player tends to memorize a path [usually the closest one on the left and goes. also the spawn has a buildign connected to it that doesnt get used at all.

my 2 cents? make it a ctf_vintage. to cramped for cp, or pl but perfect for ctf. thers even some great dark areas for spies. alternate routes. choke points for engies which havent been experimented with much i suspect because arena is so fast.

am i way off?

ChronoTriggerFan

L420: High Member
Feb 3, 2008
After playing on gameday, heres some of my suggestions:
Team_Fortress_2-20090404135439.jpg

Team_Fortress_2-20090404135638.jpg

Team_Fortress_2-20090404135946.jpg

Fireman

L4: Comfortable Member
Mar 21, 2008
I loved the layout of this one, it all flowed very nicely, and the wide variety of different routes meant matches never played the same way.

I noticed you had ammo packs tucked away in the corners behind some crates and trucks. Being that these were so far away from the main gameplay areas, they didn't really see much use, and they aren't really immediately apparent even if you do happen to find yourself back there. I watched one of our heavies run right past one of the spots while he was searching for ammo on the map. Maybe you could try bringing them out in front of the crates rather than directly behind them, so that they'll become more noticeable for players caught in the heat of battle.

arena_vintage_a20006.jpg

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Great feedback, guys. Thanks. :)

That ammo pack is kinda stupid. We're thinking of redesigning the spawn area too, so people will spawn facting the two "twin houses" to the right of the current spawn, which means they'll hopefully use them more.

That said, those two buildings still need to be more useful, and I agree that windows might be the best bet. I've been kind of afraid to do this because of Sniper line of sight, but we can give it a try.

ctf_vintage? Hmm, possibly. In ctf, though, there are often two well defined bases and no middle. This map consists mostly of... well, a middle. Dunno how well it would work.

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Gameday April 10 Demo: http://www.sendspace.com/file/q2vvrh

Personally, I felt the map was too large for arena. you could walk for quite a while and not see any enemies. Unfortunately, the plugin we were using at the time did not function as we had expected, so teams were often imbalanced.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Just popping into this thread to announce that I will release arena_vintage_b1 for detailing and optimization practice. Hanz may or may not be on the project still (He has full access anyway).

Here are a couple of teasers:

preview1.jpg

preview2.jpg

You can expect this map to release in a week or two. :)

EDIT: And, wow, I just looked at the date of the last update. Can't believe it's been well over a year!

Last edited:

Hanz

Ravin' Rabbid
aa
Jan 18, 2009
Hey Muffin let's finish this now I quit with my Art Pass map. :D