Valve vs Zynga - developer showdown

GLaDOS

L1: Registered
Nov 26, 2009
Well i did my part. 1 more for valve. 47% - 53%

It's stupid that the survey is done through FB. Of course the FB game app developers will have an advantage. It shows since hardly anyone has voted for other developers then suddenly Zynga get 10,000 votes out of nowhere in every one of their rounds.

They should've added Steam too. Both or neither one. Facebook->Zynga, Steam->Valve.....

Silly:facepalm:

eyefork

L3: Member
Oct 27, 2008
The trendy thing to do nowadays is recognize social game developers. Farmville is so Web 2.0. Closely approaching Web 3.0.

Seriously now.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Dungeon Fighter Online is totally the game for me. I mean, listen to the name. You fight the whole dungeon! Online!

Spammish

L3: Member
Jan 2, 2010
So I looked at Farmville's fan page and the post they left was
"Round five of Escapist Magazine’s yearly game development competition is underway! With your help, we managed to beat the competition in Round 4! Help us make our mark in the video game world by voting for us in Round 5! Visit this link and vote for Zynga: http://zyn.ga/2m"
They didn't even mention they were against valve, it's got 5,000 likes and 20,000 comments, the first 4 are ;

Phoebe N. Thangawng
Please come visit and help me with the farm, thanks ♥ ♥ ♥
http://apps.facebook.com/onthefarm/index.php?visitId=1074788786
5 minutes ago · Report

Charise Franco AddME!
5 minutes ago · Report

Gabbie Walker Add me pls
5 minutes ago · Report

Laverne Greene PLEASSEEEEaddME!!!
And it continues like that -_-, lets hope Steam announces it.

Edit: I don't why I or any of us should care actually, it has simply boiled down to a popularity contest now, with I'm willing to bet most of Zynga's voters not even aware of of who Valve is or what they've done for the gaming community. This is the equivalent of voting for a Prime Minister (or President) that you like without even looking into or considering the other candidates and what they stand for.

Last edited:

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Edit: I don't why I or any of us should care actually

Yeah, I haven't really understood that either. It's not like either company is an up-and-comer that needs the press. Valve is known for successful games like TF2, HL, and L4D and a focus on their customers. Zynga is known for a successful browser game and using scummy ads to make lots of money.

Not sure how either of those are going to change if they win the Escapist thing. :)

Kep

Guyovick

L1: Registered
Jun 21, 2008
I'm almost thinking I shouldn't have posted this. Since it will only bring heartbreak. I also almost think it would be better if Valve does not make any mention of this contest, so as not to validate the comparison to Zynga.

Then again, I really want Valve to beat Zynga.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I also almost think it would be better if Valve does not make any mention of this contest, so as not to validate the comparison to Zynga.

Yeah, ideally it wouldn't be a "drive as much traffic as you can from your own website" contest.

Exist

L6: Sharp Member
Oct 31, 2009
lolsv.png

Jan 20, 2010
Since the news post, we've started gaining ground. We were around 1500 behind. We're only 1000 or so now. I feel this is only the beginning as well.