Valve vs Zynga - developer showdown

Guyovick

L1: Registered
Jun 21, 2008
Over at the Escapist there is a developer showdown. Valve made it into the final four, but now they are up against Zynga. Zynga is a facebook social game company responsible for farmville and mafia wars among other games. So far Zynga has crushed all who have faced them in the showdown, including NC Soft, Infinity Ward, Rockstar North, and Square Enix. Don't let Valve be the next to fall!

Go and vote. It requires either a free escapist login or you can use a facebook login. The vote lasts from April 1st through the 4th (2010).

Edit:
Voting for this round has ended. Valve beat Zynga!
Zynga 46.7% (22470)
Valve 53.3% (25677)

Edit 2:
Valve won the entire tournament. It beat BioWare in the final round by 159 votes.

Last edited:

Guyovick

Jun 21, 2008
2004 to 452... I think Valve has this round in the bag.

At the end of the previous rounds Zynga has typically been getting into the 6000+ vote range. The somewhat unsettling part is that for all of the other showdowns (excluding Zynga's) there is an average of around 6000 TOTAL votes (ex. Valve vs Bethesda: 3786 -2152). While Zynga showdowns typically get upwards of 10,000 Total votes (ex. Infinity Ward vs Zynga: 4300 - 6076). The conclusion I see is that there are 6000+ people who only vote in Zynga showdowns (who only vote for Zynga). So even if every 'normal' person votes for Valve, it will be a close match.

Okrag

Wall Staples
aa
Jun 10, 2009
Valve needs to unleash the steamroller like they did with Gordon. He got 100000 votes that contest.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
You want to fuck with Valve? You can fuck with the best!

SAY HELLO TO MY LITTLE ARMY OF STEAM MINIONS!

Jan 20, 2010
This.

I don't particularly want to give the Escapist--or other companies--information from my facebook account.

It's actually a thing facebook has, Facebook Connect or something. You log-in through Facebook's secure servers but it also logs you into a variety of other sites that have Facebook Connect (I think that's what it's called) integrated into their sites. You don't give any information to the participating site.

It's Facebook's attempt to become the end-all of log-ins on the internet. It's fairly successful as well (unfortunately.)

Also, Valve better goddamn win. Seriously; they better.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
LaughingMan: I was actually on a team involved in implementing FB-Connect for my former employer, so I know there aren't that many data-mining possibilities (at least, not if you follow the written policies and not compared to facebook apps.) I'm just paranoid for the future.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
pffffff
How do they not see that allowing login with FB gives a FaceBook-only developer an enormous advantage.
If you could log in through Steam this would be won by Valve, hands down.

However out of sheer brand loyalty I felt compelled to vote. The thing is it doesn't give me any confirmation that it's registered my vote. So after all the hassle of signing up I don't even know if it's accepted my choice. Rubbish.

Last edited:

Guyovick

Jun 21, 2008
pffffff
How do they not see that allowing login with FB gives a FaceBook-only developer an enormous advantage.
If you could log in through Steam this would be won by Valve, hands down.

However out of sheer brand loyalty I felt compelled to vote. The thing is it doesn't give me any confirmation that it's registered my vote. So after all the hassle of signing up I don't even know if it's accepted my choice. Rubbish.

It should have given you a little message right after you clicked vote and right before you clicked next.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well i did my part. 1 more for valve. 47% - 53%

It's stupid that the survey is done through FB. Of course the FB game app developers will have an advantage. It shows since hardly anyone has voted for other developers then suddenly Zynga get 10,000 votes out of nowhere in every one of their rounds.