Lighting Library

[Useful] Lighting Library 1.0

Bad Vlad

L2: Junior Member
May 23, 2010
Does it warrant a sticky? Speaking of which, where is Youme's displacement gallery?

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Updated and fixed? I hope. I'm positive all the light emitters (light and light_spot) work, but couldn't really bring myself to check all the effects, looked alright from a glance though.

v3 released (January 28th, 2012)

Screenshot-2012-01-28_01.43.00.png

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I'm terrible and included my debugging brushwork in the previous release. Removed and uploaded 3.1
SORRY!

Infi^

L1: Registered
Nov 3, 2009
Trying to find where:
i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn220/Ravidge/tf2/tutorial/Lightlibrary/silly.jpg

is from.

I don't know why but this site kind of seems like it's been jumbled about a bit in organisation.

Thanks though.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Trying to find where:
i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn220/Ravidge/tf2/tutorial/Lightlibrary/silly.jpg

is from.

I don't know why but this site kind of seems like it's been jumbled about a bit in organisation.

Thanks though.

It is from my harddrive. I'm not even sure if I still have it.
It was a massive library where I directly pasted lights from decompiled valve maps into a gallery (as seen in the picture). From that I deduced what kind of lighting setups were common, how the entities were placed in relation to each other.

In practice though, such a library is not useful. Many of the lights were non functional (being inside the CM) or had very map specific lighting settings.
There's hundreds of duplicates and in general it's impossible to find what you need.

I will not release that behemoth of a gallery (if I still have it), because it's only useful in 1 situation: if you want to directly copy lighting from a valve map.
And if that is the case then you can easily just decompile the map you have in mind yourself.

Infi^

L1: Registered
Nov 3, 2009
I suppose. What I like to do is compile these types of things then run around it when I can't make my mind up of what type of choice to make. "Oh that looks nice, but this looks better." Being able compare them side by side against each other is probably a lot better for me, than back and forth compiling.

Thanks though.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
It's a shame the download for this wasn't carried over, I used to use it and it'd still be super useful to have.

Staff, is it possible to restore?

I'm not sure what you mean. The download link works.