Update out: Particles may now be loaded in custom maps!

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
You do relise now that this is a bad thing. This enables players to create there own particle effects in game. Eg. making the spy particle affect when he clocks stay on 100% of the time. You can always see the spy. Or the particle affect stickies have around them you can change it so you can see stickies through walls.

There is no way to stop this and its not classified as hacking but more exploiting AND there is no way to detect it. I think people were talking about making there own whitelists for sv_pure 1 to try and stop it.

This does not work at all. Worked before, but they fixed it. They turn the particle off in the model after a few sec, so the particle stops emitting. And for all I know, its impossible to parent a actual particle that has been emitted to a model

Aragon

L1: Registered
Nov 19, 2008
This does not work at all. Worked before, but they fixed it. They turn the particle off in the model after a few sec, so the particle stops emitting. And for all I know, its impossible to parent a actual particle that has been emitted to a model

Then why can the people do it in our community. They have sent in all these jpegs of what they can do since the update and complaining that something should be done?

We got our guy who knows alot of shit to do it and relised that you can do alot of the stuff when sv_pure 2 is on? Try changing the particle effect on the stickies so its got a massive radius. You'll see it through walls.....

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
...you could edit particles clientside long before this update, this is an entirely separate issue dealing with the ability of mappers to package custom particle effects with their maps.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Though, perhaps the "abuse" comes from making a ctf_2fort_particles.txt and in it referencing a custom PCF that has similarily named particle systems that override the originals?
I don't know what the "old" cheating method was exactly, or how it was fixed, so I'm not sure.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Though, perhaps the "abuse" comes from making a ctf_2fort_particles.txt and in it referencing a custom PCF that has similarily named particle systems that override the originals?
I don't know what the "old" cheating method was exactly, or how it was fixed, so I'm not sure.

Gaw

L4: Comfortable Member
Apr 21, 2009
What used to be done, was people were changing what was in their 'materials' folder, however that stopped working after VALVe added 'sv_pure' that made sure you had the same files as the server.

The cheating rate in TF2 is less then 1%, and I doubt this is going to affect a thing.

Fearlezz

L10: Glamorous Member
May 4, 2008
Then why can the people do it in our community. They have sent in all these jpegs of what they can do since the update and complaining that something should be done?

We got our guy who knows alot of shit to do it and relised that you can do alot of the stuff when sv_pure 2 is on? Try changing the particle effect on the stickies so its got a massive radius. You'll see it through walls.....

Care to show some of these jpegs?

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Console says that no matter what you do. It can still work regardless.

Unless, of course, you uh-oh'd your particle system.