[Tutorial] Making a Poster Overlay

Angry_Ed

L1: Registered
May 25, 2009
Great tutorial, but I seem to have a problem. I followed all the instructions but when I tried to get my poster to show up in my map it's just a squashed black texture. Maybe it's because I don't quite understand overlays or maybe it's something else but I can't explain it. The poster shows up just fine in Hammer's texture browser, so I'm really confused.

EDIT: I just tried to apply an overlay using a pre-existing (i.e. from Valve) sign/poster texture, and the same thing occured. So I'm again unsure what I'm doing wrong within Hammer.

EDIT EDIT: Disregard my problems, I fixed it. I completely forgot I didn't have any lighting of any kind in my map just yet.

Last edited:

fbbviv

L1: Registered
Jun 19, 2009
Yay finally I decide to post here.:p first post.
More Importantly; This is where I'm stuck. I'm not sure why it's not correct or whatever... :/
I just finished most of a room in my map I'm working on and wanted to add some custom "posters". Today I've been watching/reading tutorials like mad and now I got it in hammer, it's just purple and black textures unfortunately...
I have this:
"LightmappedGeneric"
{
"$basetexture" "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\fbbviv\team fortress 2\tf\materials\signs/soldier_was_here"
"$surfaceprop""concrete"
}

I intend on adding alot of custom posters, overlays, etc to my map. Any help is greatly appreciated! :D
Does it show up as purple checkers? Make sure your VMT's basetexture value is correct.

EDIT nevermind it's fixed. :D thanks for the tutorial!

Last edited:

Ankh

L3: Member
Sep 18, 2008
TF2_Sign_by_Ankhareon.png

Tried it, and with the help of photoshop plugins I can now not only do this but texture things. Now all I need to learn is modelling and I can make actual custom art assets. Thanks!

Fantastic tutorial - 10/10, would learn again.

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Fanatastic tutorial!

However I have done everythingyou mentioned, but I am stuck as to how find the texture in hammer texture browser ... what do I have to type in (filter/ keywords)?

Last edited:

Waif

L7: Fancy Member
Mar 22, 2009
Actually Don't worry, I figured it out (didn't save the text file as a vmf, sillyl me :))

Awesoem tutorial man.

Dr. ROCKZO

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jul 25, 2009
You could also just make the "Marks" transparent to show that they've been torn..

Firest0rm

L4: Comfortable Member
Sep 27, 2009
thanks a lot! using your nice tutorial, i made a poster that fits a map im making perfectly (not really a great map, not really a great poster). i'll probably make more (and hopefully get better at it), so thanks!

sigma_red.bmp

SPHinx

L2: Junior Member
Aug 29, 2009
I also found this tutorial really helpful.

And if I may add, if you are using GIMP, I recommend taking your almost finished poster layer, duplicating it, and then applying an "Oilify" filter to the upper layer. You can then adjust its opacity to get a nice mix of detail vs. brush stroke. It helps to give your poster a painted look that fits in well with the rest TF2's art.

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
I also found this tutorial really helpful.

And if I may add, if you are using GIMP, I recommend taking your almost finished poster layer, duplicating it, and then applying an "Oilify" filter to the upper layer. You can then adjust its opacity to get a nice mix of detail vs. brush stroke. It helps to give your poster a painted look that fits in well with the rest TF2's art.

I'll have to remember that.

gamemaster1996

L13: Stunning Member
Sep 30, 2009
Very useful btw for pallet i use eyedropper right?

Bob Ross

Jun 16, 2009
after following the steps exactly and checking double checking and triple checking i get the error that the folder does not contain a valid .tga file when it clearly does. when i hit the key to continue it closes and doesnt make a vtf. any idea whats up?

XFunc_CaRteR

L5: Dapper Member
May 14, 2009
after following the steps exactly and checking double checking and triple checking i get the error that the folder does not contain a valid .tga file when it clearly does. when i hit the key to continue it closes and doesnt make a vtf. any idea whats up?

The HammerWiki, in a different tutorial, says the TGA image for a custom texture needs to be saved as 32 bit, uncompressed.

You'd think that would get mentioned in these custom texture tutorials more often.

Bob Ross

Jun 16, 2009
The HammerWiki, in a different tutorial, says the TGA image for a custom texture needs to be saved as 32 bit, uncompressed.

You'd think that would get mentioned in these custom texture tutorials more often.

that did not change anything.
EDIT: i discovered one of my problems but it now says that it cannot convert image from RGBA8888 to DXT1 in a CalcLowResImage

EDIT 2: used vtf edit instead and it works.

Last edited:

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
Oh wow, I remember using this tutorial ages before even joining this site. I totally forgot this is where I got it from.

+Thanks

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008

I've never had a problem saving it as a compressed tga.