[Tutorial] Making a Poster Overlay

Benvox2

L1: Registered
Jul 2, 2008
I think i figured it out to an extent, I used VTFedit instead of the valve program but when I put my overlay on a wall, in hammer it flickers about similar to when two textures are on eachother and i cant figure out why? Nah its ok, just dont use VTFEdit for this ;)

Last edited:

Reeftrigger

Aug 28, 2008
Right I've done this but in Photoshop how do I make the rectangle an exact size?
How do I do this in Photoshop? Lost me.
for the first one go to the rectangular marquee tool and at the top there is an dropdown menu with default option "normal" switch that for "exact size" and type in how big you want it.

on the second its called the pen tool. takes a while tho...

I also have a question...
how the heck do you get it to show up in hammer...
I did everything the same and it still won't show...

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
...when I put my overlay on a wall, in hammer it flickers about similar to when two textures are on eachother and i cant figure out why?

That's supposed to happen, so don't worry about that.

...At least it happens to me, but my overlays still work perfectly.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
I guess I'll go ahead and say this:

I can't help you navigate Photoshop.
I don't have it, unfortunately. This tutorial was more on the art direction of making a good overlay poster (and how to get it into hammer!), not how to use any specific program.

Sorry. ;)

Reeftrigger

Aug 28, 2008
I guess I'll go ahead and say this:

I can't help you navigate Photoshop.
I don't have it, unfortunately. This tutorial was more on the art direction of making a good overlay poster (and how to get it into hammer!), not how to use any specific program.

Sorry. ;)

I however can (a little) so you can shoot meh of a pm if you really need help...
(not to take away any of the awesomeness of this awesome tutorial.)
or you could go on one of the many dedicated photoshop help sites/forums.

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
2831131098_a742401a99_o.png

You rock Nine! Thanks.

btw, I had to use VTFEdit to get the TGA converted to VTF. I couldn't get vtex to work.

Reeftrigger

Aug 28, 2008
Im having a problem with getting my custom thing to show up in hammer...
I put in in a vtf make a vmf for it and stick both into the "mysteamname"\team fortress\tf\materials\signs folder and no dice in hammer.... did I miss anything?

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Does it show up as purple checkers? Make sure your VMT's basetexture value is correct.

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
Gave another crack at it for the pig sign, you like this one better?

2831686634_97a673e6b0_o.png

laghlagh

L6: Sharp Member
Jul 15, 2008
Great tutorial! Oh, and in PS filters, film grain > noise

Nightshde

Sep 6, 2008
Great tutorial, really helped me with vmt issues I have been having. Still need to find a good tutorial on using vtfedit because the image looks all weird in the browser on the side of hammer but looks fine when i put it in the world so I'm guessing its something to do with my vtf.

Username00

Dec 14, 2008
Thanks! great tutorial, i had to figure out everything in GIMP though (along the way i discovered the magic of alpha channels, fun stuff), but i made this out of severe lack of an idea for what to do.
ductsm6.jpg

Oct 6, 2008
If I had a jpg/png of the map(an overhead view) of my map - do I use this same process so that I can add it into my map?

Clear as mud right? Let me explain - the old days used wally for cs 1.6 - made a custom wad texture then made a brush - then applied it to the brush so it was seen in map.

Hope that helped.

Great tutorial too!! will be using it for sure!

Spike

L10: Glamorous Member
Feb 13, 2008
Very good tutorial but I would delete the gray dirt on it and make some alpha channel so it's like broken.

dendster

May 20, 2008
Here's my two attempts. If anyone can suggest some better fonts for BLU, I'd be very grateful.

Blu -
blutooling.png

Red -
redposter.png

Vigilante212

L420: High Member
Dec 21, 2008
The last one should say. Come in first every time. The blue one needs a texture seperation like the red one with a dark red light red BG.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Update, I tried a new style of poster I think much better matches VALVe's:

3293385809_c174a6aa06_o.jpg

Comment?

NovaSilisko

L42: Life, the Universe and Everything
aa
Feb 3, 2009
Nahh...It looks too realistic. Compare it to the valve posters.