[TUTORIAL] KOTH as Valve does it

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
I used tf_gamerules on my map and it worked beautifully, thanks alot shadowfax!

Zappahcracker

L1: Registered
Aug 3, 2009
I'm fairly new to map making and the hammer editor. I just want to say that first.

Now I'm in the process of making my first map, and it's all done and well and good for now. So I'm putting in the point.

I decided Koth is an awesome gamemode, there you go, I'll do that.

Now I've been following the tutorial to the letter, but when you change the control point's outputs... Well there is no 'SetRedKothClockActive' or 'SetBlueKothClockActive' for me. They are simply not on the list.

So I'm wondering what's up about that, and if I need to do something first to get it to show up.

=D

shadowfax

Jul 23, 2009
I'm fairly new to map making and the hammer editor. I just want to say that first.

Now I'm in the process of making my first map, and it's all done and well and good for now. So I'm putting in the point.

I decided Koth is an awesome gamemode, there you go, I'll do that.

Now I've been following the tutorial to the letter, but when you change the control point's outputs... Well there is no 'SetRedKothClockActive' or 'SetBlueKothClockActive' for me. They are simply not on the list.

So I'm wondering what's up about that, and if I need to do something first to get it to show up.

=D

That link Youme posted will make it so they show up. However it still works by just typing the info in. Hammer will report it as a broken IO but it still works. It is because the fgd does not have those values that they are reported broken. But the underlying code is still there so it still works when the map is compiled. The link Youme provided gives (among other useful things) an updated fgd.

Zappahcracker

Aug 3, 2009
Amazing. Thanks! Hoping to get the map working because I have a friend who hosts a server and he said he'd throw my maps up as beta to see how they play. =D

gufu

Sep 19, 2009
Um... I am sorry if I am bumping a topic... but I am having problems - it seems that once one of the sides timer runs out, the game doesn't end - instead, it waits until the other side captures the point, and only then the game ends (despite any time left for those who capped the point, they win).

Apr 13, 2009
It's not so straightforward, no. But you can use the koth timers for pretty much anything you want (king of the hills, king of the intel, king of the payload...), as long as you find something to tell it who is 'winning' and so which timer should be active. Unfortunately there is no way to make both timers stop AFAIK. So 2 hills would be tedious (what happens when both teams own one point ?)

Killzone

Oct 1, 2009
Well, i downloaded a prefab 2hill KOTH (i kinda suck with entities). When both teams own 1 cap, the timer pauses. So it's important to set the cap time >5 seconds, and time to win <3 minutes.

Anyway, the current version (http://stud.cmd.hro.nl/0803962/blog/?page_id=9) features a custom made one from FPSBanana. But it would be cool to have the 'normal' KOTH HUD and stuff :) .

tanuki

Aug 8, 2009
Hi Im trying to lower the cap time to 2 seconds but when i do the HUD icon seems to skip around before finally capping like normal. Everything is working except the HUD element, has anyone else had this problem?

Amulon

Aug 16, 2009
Ok. So i did all the entities. Everything looks like it should work. But when a team captures the point, the time runs down for them--even if the other team captures it. The decrease in time only goes down for the first team to cap it. How do i fix?

Yourself

Jun 13, 2009
For announcer sounds everything seems to work except announcing that the point is available for capture after the specified unlock time. Do I have to do this manually or is something broken?

Githong

Aug 11, 2010
Hi,

I know this may sound ambitious because I am really new to this mapping stuff, but I was wondering whether you could make a ctf - koth hybrid.
For instance, if the red team takes control of the point, they are then able to capture the blue team's flag.
I was playing around with the idea of a door to the flag room maybe being unlocked when the point is captured????
Someone please get back to me :D

Whated

L2: Junior Member
Jul 23, 2010
Very good tutorial, Thanks. I got mine work. ^^

Awesomenessly

Dec 18, 2015
Umm no. This was not helpful. I'm just starting. And to start a tutorial with "I'm going to assume you know how to build the map" was the opposite of helpful.

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
Umm no. This was not helpful. I'm just starting. And to start a tutorial with "I'm going to assume you know how to build the map" was the opposite of helpful.

This was written way back in 2009 when KOTH was a new gamemode and its entities weren't in the FGD yet. Back then, you had to create tf_logic_koth and write in all its keyvalues yourself. You also shouldn't assume every tutorial is going to teach you the basics of making a map, nor should you get upset at a user who hasn't been on this forum since 2011