The Impossible

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
All good theories but the closest to the first part of the answer is Shmitz, however is not correct. The second part no one is even close at.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
There are 10 large sacks containing gold coins. Nine of them contain genuine coins weighing 100 grams each, but the tenth sack holds counterfeit coins weighing 95 grams each. You have a mildly damaged scale that you know is good for one reliable measurement, but it will break after that and be unusable. How can you identify which sack is fake?

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
Oh, I got it.
I take one coin from any sack, and use the scale to see how much it weigths, if it's a fake coin, I'll know that the sack I took it from is the fake. If the coin is real, I'll buy a new scale with the coins from the sack I took the real coin from, and use the new scale to find out which sack is the fake one.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
If it's a balance scale, you can put five in each pan. You will see that one pile is lighter due to the fake sack. Now, start removing two sacks at a time - one from each pan. Once the scale becomes even, you know you're holding the fake sack. The one that came from the lighter pile is the fake sack.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
You can only make ONE measurement. Thus you would have to take 1 coin from the first sack, 2 from the second, and so on... 55 coins in total. If all real they should weigh 5500 grams. If you come up with say... 5465 grams, you are 35 short. At 5 grams short per coin for counterfeits, that means 7 fake coins. Which means sack #7 is bad.

StoneFrog

L6: Sharp Member
May 28, 2008
It was lost in sales tax. :mellow:

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
I'll post the answer to mine.

They were both born in the month of July, but they were born on the Isle of May. They are both priests, and married each other to their wives.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I'll post the answer to mine.

They were both born in the month of July, but they were born on the Isle of May. They are both priests, and married each other to their wives.

The phrasing of the riddle makes no sense for the Isle of May. I think I prefer ABBAttoir's answer.

Here's another one:

Two flexible wicks have been formed into candles. Each can burn exactly 60 minutes, but at a rate that is neither uniform nor predictable. How can you tell when 45 minutes have elapsed if you have nothing but matches at your disposal?

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
Well... Um, dunno if this is right or not, but I could light them both at the same time, but the other one at both ends. So the other will burn for 60 mins and the one burning at both ends will burn for 30 mins. Then after 30 mins have passed, I light the other end of the 60-min candle, which now has 30 mins left, and when it burns at both ends, it'll burn for 15 minutes. 30+15=45

Fraz

aa
Dec 28, 2008
Put the candles side by side, light both at the same time, one being up-side down so the end of the wick is at either side. After 30 mins they should be at the middle of the candle (the wick is flexible, however I'm assuming these candles have been placed into wax or something of some sort.) Then, move each of the wicks up, so it gets to where the same type of position as above. After 15 mins, both flames should be in the middle again. Getting 45.

OR get a stopwatch or a clock.

FlavorRage

L4: Comfortable Member
Oct 12, 2008
It's a flaw in currency. There is no way to get exactly one third of 250 in pounds. The 10 pounds were lost due to rounding and values of the bills exchanged.

Yourself

L1: Registered
Jun 13, 2009
It's a flaw in currency. There is no way to get exactly one third of 250 in pounds. The 10 pounds were lost due to rounding and values of the bills exchanged.

This was already answered and the problem has nothing to do with division and everything to do with adding when you're supposed to subtract.

The car cost 250. In the end 270 is what was paid. 20 of that 270 was stolen and 250 of the 270 was for the car.