The Frontline! Community Project - 1.2 IS LIVE!

Minimus Ambus

L2: Junior Member
Sep 28, 2016
You shouldn't need to install anything to the server. The maps should have them packed in.
So I shouldn't need to install the pack, just the maps? I'm sorry but I am a little confused as to what you mean.

theatreTECHIE

Yet another Techie for the net...
aa
Jun 19, 2015
So I shouldn't need to install the pack, just the maps? I'm sorry but I am a little confused as to what you mean.
The maps should have any custom content they use in their file already, so that users don't need to download any custom content other than the map itself. If a map has missing models or textures it's on the map maker to include them in the file next update.

Minimus Ambus

Sep 28, 2016
So I make the map. I put frontline props/ textures in it, I compile it, quit hammer, take the map from "steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\maps" and put it in "tf2server\tf2\tf\maps", launch the server, type "map pl_thunderrock", then I get into the server and the frontline props/ textures are errors. What am I doing wrong/ what must I do to fix this?
(I'm so sorry if I sound ignorant. I just have no idea what I'm doing wrong.)

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
It's called packing; they need to be embedded using a program like VIDE or CompilePal.

Out of curiosity, do you run an actual public server out of your home, or did someone tell you this was the only way to test a map locally?

Minimus Ambus

Sep 28, 2016
It's called packing; they need to be embedded using a program like VIDE or CompilePal.

Out of curiosity, do you run an actual public server out of your home, or did someone tell you this was the only way to test a map locally?

I just have a dedicated server for me and my friends to mess around in. We wanted to play on my latest map; that's why. Thanks for the info though.

Diva Dan

hello!
aa
Mar 20, 2016
Yeah, custom assets won't appear in your map unless you pack them in yourself. If all of your custom stuff in in your custom folder, then download CompilePal and compile your map using that. You just have to give it the VMF and it will compile the map and pack the custom content for you.

Minimus Ambus

Sep 28, 2016
What are the settings for CompilePal to get the desired outcome I want. And then were will I find it.... Im sorry, as soon as I get an answer to this I should be good.

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
There should be a thread about CompilePal and how to pack with it somewhere on the forums. Poke around a bit yourself and you should find everything you need!

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
I dropped in on the homepage for this today and noticed that the most recent update was last fall. What changed, and why was this thread not bumped?

Also, it dawned on me that now that $treesway is a thing, some alternate versions of the flag and awnings that support it would be a cool addition.

B!scuit

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 12, 2016
oil spills are models, which also helps with them being reflective