The Build-Your-Own-Base map. (community project?!)

What game mode? Would this be fun? (read post first!)

• Total voters

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
How the hell boojum? Did you find a way to move it to world when a trigger happens or something?

/confusededed

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
What if it was just static geometry. Say one end point area with doors. Cap in the middle.

Then if players choose #1 they get teleported to spawn #1. All play areas would be like a spoke on a wheel. Could have gravel pit or dustbowl style.

Or even CTF if red's bases were all the same, but it's this paths between them that differ. So one map would be like 3+ maps, only the end cap or ctf bases would be the same layout.

Grimes

L1: Registered
Jun 4, 2009
It is certainly an interesting idea. Theres a ton of implications of players not having a clue that they are supposed to participate in the base setup. I agree with the others that it has the alot of potential for a CTF map but I think thats merely a factor of the gameplay of CTF more than anything. The first few minutes of the game on ctf would be spent exploring and trying to find your way around your own base. The enemy base could be a totally different design than your base. The map would have a pretty massive learning curve unless the overall path to the flag is roughly the same but the areas that make up the path are drastically different.

Attack/Defend maps are also a decent alternative. Only one side could build their own base which would drastically simplify the concept. By doing that you eliminate a whole team from changing the layout, plus there is alot more strategy to it rather than just trying to hope your enemy gets lost in your base.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
To address your points Grimes:

It would be impossible to NOT know you can/should participate in the base setup. At the beginning of the round players would spawn in a "voting hall", where the only thing to do is run through the voting gates.

"unless the overall path to the flag is roughly the same but the areas that make up the path are drastically different."
That's generally how it would be. The entrances/exits in each "zone" would remain static and the contents would change.

and to explain my magical stickies:
trigger_vphysics_motion that is 1 unit larger than the func_brush, filtered to stickies, with velocity limits set. :>

Shaar

L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin
Aug 7, 2008
I think this would be more sutable for something like an attack/defend map, IMO. it could defiantly be fun, provided there aren't trolls on the server.