TF2Maps Presents: The Summer 2016 72hr TF2Jam!

Discussion in 'Contests' started by LeSwordfish, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Rev

Rev L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Dang, I wish I could've participated this year. That medal looks amazing. Would it be possible to have it be the same one for next year so I can get another chance at nabbing it?

2. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    There will be some kind of medal or cosmetic, yes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. SanekOgon

SanekOgon L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Nice :D:

4. Nicky

aa Nicky Rotten Tops

Positive Ratings:
    That's not to say you should only enter because you want a medal. You should enter because you enjoy making things and putting effort into something you are proud of, and maybe you want a bit of a challenge with the time limit, or want to participate with the community in the event.

• Agree Agree x 10
  5. Rev

Rev L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, that's absolutely true. I do plan on making/sharing some SFM stuff i'm real proud of once the time comes.

6. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    So here's the thing about people joining for just the medal and why it's not that big of a deal.

There are always going to be people who put a half-assed attempt in to earn any participation reward like this. But, of those people, there is going to be a certain percentage who stick around the site because of it. They only joined for the medal, but saw what a cool community we are and how fun an event like this can be, and decided that maybe they'll get involved. Maybe next time they'll whole-ass it and maybe they'll become super active in the community, creating content, participating in other events, helping us test.

This effectively works as advertising for the site. A lot more people heard about the site and the event because of the reward, and that's a great thing.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. DrLambda

aa DrLambda L69: Teeheehee, Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have to agree with Crash there. Anyone who has seen the incredibly long imp map lists ever since we had the jam will agree that the amount of people who found out about TF2Maps because of the contest and then stayed to provide more content is huge and easily more important than the amount of people who half-assed their way to a medal.

That being said, a way to show off on the medal how you got it (Ideally, the name of the content you submitted) would be pretty sweet. I know that i'm quite proud of my submission and absolutely would have used a description tag to show that i got it for koth_bloodshed if that was possible.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    Shot Valve an email about it. It's a pretty easy thing to tweak, as far as I'm aware, so we'll see!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Dribbleondo - Au Yeah

Dribbleondo - Au Yeah L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    That'd be awesome if Valve could do that. The hard part would probably be specifying what each of us did. I made a freakin' animation in less than 9 hours, and i'd like to let people know that via the deacription (the animation, not the time taken to make it)

10. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    You'll most likely have to use tags for that - if valve have a system to describe loads of items differently automatically, they haven't shared it with us.

11. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:

• Like Like x 5
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. Dribbleondo - Au Yeah

Positive Ratings:
    Awesome =D. Crash is the real MVP.

13. Dribbleondo - Au Yeah

Positive Ratings:
    The medal now appears to be able to have a custom description now! Huzzah![​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Dribbleondo - Au Yeah

Positive Ratings:
    I just paid 12p to get a custom description done for my medal:[​IMG]