TF2M Chess Tourney?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Fr0Z3nR, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums

Positive Ratings:
    The topic of chess popped up in chat recently, and a couple people expressed interest in playing, possibly in a tournament (yes, probably small prizes will be given to the top few competitors).

I have experience in running tourney's and have played chess basically my whole life (competitively too). I'd be willing to run a chess tournament using some online program (still to be determined which one, suggestions welcome), if enough people show interest.

How will the tournament work?

The tournament will be ran with a 4 round Swiss system. The way this system works is simple. Say there are 8 people, that means in the first round there would be (ideally) 4 winners and 4 losers. In round 2, the 4 winners would face each other (as in, they could face any other person who won 1 match) and the 4 losers would do the same. This continues for 4 rounds. If there is a point where there is only 1 at a certain level (lets say, they are the only one to have 2 wins going into round 3), then they will play someone from the 1 win tier. This also works if there is odd number of people at a certain tier (for example if there is 5 people with 2 wins and 3 with 1 win).

If it is a draw, then they count as their own group, if there is no other draw, then they move down a tier.

In the end, for tiebreakers, of the top 3-5 (maybe 7, depends on entrant number), ranking will be determined by number of times the person wins, standings vs other people (so if there is a tie between Person A and B, but person A beat person B in round 1, then Person A would automatically rank higher than person B), and tie breaker games will be used when necessary.

So, interested? All you need to know is how to play chess, no competitive experience necessary. You can be a master or a beginner. If you are interested at least in being a part of the tourney please post a message in this thread, or PM me on the forums.

**ALSO: Please say whether or not you want to do the rounds freely for the week, as in, I announce the pairs on sunday, and you have until saturday to meet up and play (unless I get a damn good reason), or we can do this in a single week. (When I did this years ago it would be a whole afternoon, but I doubt we can get everyone together for a single afternoon)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    I haven't played in so long, mostly because I have nobody to play with, but I think I would certainly be down for this.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. slunchy

slunchy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    mmmmmmmmmmm

i will do anything you want me to.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    time limits?

5. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    count me in

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
  7. Mr. Wimples

Mr. Wimples L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Time allowing, count me in.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    The way I played, no. But you can if you want. We don't have a program yet, so we don't know if there will the option for setting time. More info to come.

Idk, I could use a donation for a prize, if not, I'll figure something out.

No, I will not televise this, but if you want to live stream, be my guest.

Guys, I also need to know when you are free and how you want to do the rounds, do you want to do 1 round a week, or all 4 rounds in a week? Also, when could you do it if it was all in a single week (for example, I'm free after the 18th of November til like the 25th/26th.... Then after that I won't be free til mid december. (winter break yay)

EDIT: Also, if you had to sign up for a website (free, of course) would you be okay with it**

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  9. slunchy

slunchy L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    perhaps doing the rounds in one run would ensure people don't forget about it and not be on steam one weekend.

i'm ok with a signup, as long as i can use a 10 min email account and the site doesn't force you to get a secret passcode from your inbox and paste it on the site.

10. Kiddnils

Kiddnils L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Count me in

11. Hanz

aa Hanz Ravin' Rabbid

Positive Ratings:
    I think everyone has a winter break before or after christmas? You could do it then. :D

And I will join if this happens.

12. Godslayer57

Godslayer57 L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Chess....why the hell not ? Could be a change in pace.

13. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    i could try i guess

14. Da_Man

Da_Man L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I can finally use my "Do random stuff and pretend to have a strategy" strategy on someone other that my brother for once. Time allowing, count me in.

15. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    Okay, so, are people avaliable around christmas? Not ON christmas, but around?

16. sniprpenguin

sniprpenguin L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Interesting... I'm in.

17. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    I'm pretty much free whenever. I also wonder how much people would hate me if I used the win-in-4-moves thing. But then, that sounds boring.

18. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    4move is op, fucking cheese rush

19. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    would anyone who has played chess for more than a week even fall for that

20. Fr0Z3nR

Positive Ratings:
    I know the 2move checkmate if you are playing as black.