TF2 Tightrope

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
I got some feedback of people thinking the column has nothing to do with TF2 and that that's bad. What? Even if it didn't lead to anything I dunno how that's a concern and the setup is needed for next week. As long as people learned something interesting it's fine in my book. The column isn't called "let's paraphrase parts of the wiki everyone already knows".

y they do dis

i thought it could be something like bw tanks rotating before shooting but y they do dis

Probably just aesthetics reasons. A group of 20 marines all firing at the same time constantly would feel and look weird

Less random is better.
That is my opinion for skill-based competitive games, sometimes a little random is good. But generally the fewer things that can be attributed to luck, the more enjoyable it is to play and watch.[...]

But would a 100% deterministic game actually still be fun or interesting? What would a game like that even be like, can't think of any examples off the top of my head

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
It would be like a sim game, like the train game no one takes seriously or ARMA or I dunno. Not fun. Real life isn't clearly deterministic.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
But would a 100% deterministic game actually still be fun or interesting? What would a game like that even be like, can't think of any examples off the top of my head

A game I would consider to have very little "randomness" is Quake Live.
The only significant random element is the spawn locations. And even those are just semi-random as you can force your opponent to spawn on a "weaker" side of the map (spawns within a certain radius* of the living player are disabled). I can't think of anything except the spawns that are actually something random that the players have no control over.

*the radius is dynamic and changes size based on a few conditions, however it is not random, and people have it figured out to 100%

Whenever you talk about luck in QL 1v1, it's about how the players interact with each other. For example: "Player1 was lucky to survive that fight because Player2 ran out of Rocket launcher ammo" or "Player1 was lucky Player2 got fooled by that faked Rocket jump". These are not dice-roll situations though, it's not random, but it's still luck-ish (some pro-player will even attempt to track rocket launcher ammo of their opponent, if needed).

Again though, my opinion is just "less random is better" not "fuck all random elements".

Edit: and for the record, if it wasn't clear, I find QL very interesting to watch.

Mar 23, 2010
best article yet

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
Weekly Crit #7 – The Pain Train

Today we’ll give the peculiarly unpopular Pain Train a day in the limelight. We’ll look at how the capture rate multiplier works and what the vulnerability entails.

good to see that valve listens to the community and is willing to make the necessary changes.

from today's update:
"The Pain Train now uses Equalizer sounds"

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
good to see that valve listens to the community and is willing to make the necessary changes.

from today's update:
"The Pain Train now uses Equalizer sounds"

Haha, well, that was the community listening to the community and sending Valve the already fixed items schema...

Though in April we came to the conclusion "Medkits should heal afterburn/bleed while overhealed" (is thread title). On October 9 2012, TF Team did "Overhealed players that are bleeding or on fire can now pickup healthkits to remove these conditions". And before that I requested a plugin that "Blocks Heavies from picking up their own sandvich/steak. [...] sm_tnoselfsandvich_refill, if set to 1 heavies can pickup their own sandvich to refill their meter." which was made official on February 14 2012.

Anyway: Weekly Crit #11 – Competitive Matchmaking is up

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
TF2 Tightrope is about to re-launch. TF2 Beta is not being used. It’s time to hear your opinion on which item changes should be prioritized.

Are they over- or underpowered, have bugs or just a broken concept in general: which are the items you would like to see changed first?

Priority Polls – Scout & Soldier
(more to come over the next few days)

Baraleth

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 8, 2008
I'd actually like to see a change on how engineer buildings are destroyed when you change melee weapons. Basically, change it so sentries are the only buildings destroyed when changing from gunslinger to any other wrench (and vice versa) and all buildings destroyed when changing from the Eureka Effect to any other melee weapon.

Also: Since a latest update made engineer buildings blow up when inside a spawn room, see if you can change it so they destroy only if both the engineer and the blueprint are inside the spawn room

Last edited:

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
I'd actually like to see a change on how engineer buildings are destroyed when you change melee weapons. Basically, change it so sentries are the only buildings destroyed when changing from gunslinger to any other wrench (and vice versa) and all buildings destroyed when changing from the Eureka Effect to any other melee weapon.

Yeah that's a good point. I still don't like that change, regularly screws me over. There's no reason you shouldn't be allowed to switch from Jag to Southern Hospitality for example. Personally I'd even disagree with the Eureka Effect forcing building destruction (though I can see why you'd say that).

Though it seems more of a hardcoded issue that Valve will have to fix. But we can look into it.

Also: Since a latest update made engineer buildings blow up when inside a spawn room, see if you can change it so they destroy only if both the engineer and the blueprint are inside the spawn room

That change kind of came out of nowhere, yes. I think the point was to not allow Engineers to hide in their spawn with a level 3 Sentry when an enemy uber attacks and the like. Not sure if people liked the change or not...

Amidio

L2: Junior Member
Apr 14, 2012
There's no reason you shouldn't be allowed to switch from Jag to Southern Hospitality for example.

Well, arguably, the someone could use the Jag to set up quickly, then switch the Southern Hospitality and avoid the damage penalty from using the Jag. Of course, the Jag's bonus is pretty negligible as it is, so it really doesn't matter that much.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
My feeling is that hiding in spawn with your sentry defeats the purpose of how Engineer was originally meant to be played--in some ways being able to move your gun at all defeats the way it was meant to be played. Any concessions that return Engineer to that original style of gameplay should be made, I think. The realization that the gun doesn't need to be expendable changes Engineer meta drastically, but lines need to be drawn (in this case, stay drawn) to keep him closer to the original role he played as much as possible. I just feel it benefits the speed of the match and the feeling players get when they take an area if the Engineer's stuff goes down, I guess.

Baraleth

L4: Comfortable Member
Aug 8, 2008
That change kind of came out of nowhere, yes. I think the point was to not allow Engineers to hide in their spawn with a level 3 Sentry when an enemy uber attacks and the like. Not sure if people liked the change or not...

My feeling is that hiding in spawn with your sentry defeats the purpose of how Engineer was originally meant to be played--in some ways being able to move your gun at all defeats the way it was meant to be played.

I'm not saying so I can hide in spawn (with my suggestion, the spawn room door would be open so the engineer could still be killed). The odd time I happen to place a teleporter entrance and exit and upgrade my sentry to level 3. But when I turn to step on the teleporter entrance, my sentry gets destroyed as soon as the blueprint touches the respawnroom. I guess I could simply move my tele up or run backwards onto the entrance.

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Well, arguably, the someone could use the Jag to set up quickly, then switch the Southern Hospitality and avoid the damage penalty from using the Jag. Of course, the Jag's bonus is pretty negligible as it is, so it really doesn't matter that much.

That's truuue but I feel that's more of a problem with how those wrench stats are designed