TF2 Map Workshop Server Configuration

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Its also (once you know the fix) only a problem on submissions which update alot. And even then. For skullcove i provided 2 zip files with it. 1 regular one providing the content the old way. and 1 the new way:
However, as the workshop might not be reading the content correctly when it has the regular names, you might have to use the renamed files instead (on updates these might need replacing/removing). Here you can download those:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2070422/mvm_skullcove/mvm_skullcove_workshop.zip
The hassle is somewhat equal. The only diffirence is that people might not know the method for the workshop yet. But again, we just provide the content to them so they dont have to think about it. they only have to extract it.

I havent found out how to allow votes to other missions to happen yet using the workshop method though, even though i provided them so once there is a fix it might instantly start working.

xomp

L1: Registered
Jun 28, 2008
There is a lot of information in the OP that has long since been fixed/changed. I noticed the author had intended to keep the OP updated as new information came about, but it doesn't appear to be the case (since July 03 2015). Is it safe to assume all interest in keeping others informed has gone the way of apathy?

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Well, I do keep it up to date but I haven't heard or seen anything that is new, with regards to server operators hosting workshop maps. As far as I know, all the information in the OP is still current. If you have evidence that suggests otherwise please give it to us.

xomp

Jun 28, 2008
worMatty said:
Please note that there is currently a game bug that makes the server crash when sv_setsteamaccount has been used before tf_workshop_map_sync has been called (thanks, Powerlord).

I noticed the above and if I recall correctly, this was fixed in an update [source]. It's still mentioned as a 'known-issue' in the OP and wanted to verify if it was actually updated or not. Sometimes people forget to go back and remove parts that were later fixed and my inquiry is for consistency's sake.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
The information about sv_setsteamaccount refers to a new bug that was introduced after the original one related to that cvar was fixed. I'll link you to Powerlord's post about it on AlliedMods because he put it much better than I can: here.

EDIT: I've just been experimenting and it seems that on a SourceMod server running Powerlord's plugin, which tracks each workshop map when the server starts, updated maps with or without different filenames should download to the server most of the time. I had one instance where I had to issue the changelevel command a second time but that might have been due to the short time period after the map was updated. I'm sadly not ready to say hosting workshop maps is problem-free but this does give hope that it might be a little less frustrating to manage.

I have updated the OP to make it a bit clearer and modify the info. about Powerlord's plugin.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Well, now you'll have to update the OP. ;)

AdmiralAnimE

Jul 24, 2015
Since the last update, my server keeps trying to donwload workshop maps again when the level is changed to one, even if the map is already downloaded and hasn't been updated by the author. The server also doesn't want to download new maps, in both cases it says "download queued" and nothing happens.
I have sourcemod latest snapshot and the map loader plugin. I tried to delete all downloaded maps and the acf file. Only one of ~15 maps downloaded, the rest do not. Can someone help me?

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Hi, AdmiralAnimE.

I am running a local test server with SourceMod and Powerlord's Map Loader plugin. This is what I get in console when I start the server:
Code:
[TF Workshop] Adding 473882442 to tracked maps
[TF Workshop] Adding 454118349 to tracked maps
[TF Workshop] Adding 454142620 to tracked maps
[TF Workshop] Adding 486783441 to tracked maps
This is what happens when I change to Dustbowl:
Code:
changelevel dustbowl
---- Host_Changelevel ----
L 07/24/2015 - 17:39:21: -------- Mapchange to cp_dustbowl --------
Executing dedicated server config file server.cfg
Set motd from file 'cfg/motd_default.txt'.  ('cfg/motd.txt' was not found.)
Set motd_text from file 'cfg/motd_text_default.txt'.  ('cfg/motd_text.txt' was not found.)
'cp_dustbowl.cfg' not present; not executing.
[TF Workshop] Got updated information for map [ workshop/cp_glassworks_rc6a.ugc454118349 ]
[TF Workshop] New version available for map, download queued [ workshop/dr_wooden_5.ugc486783441 ]
As you can see, tracking each map when the server runs means that each time the level is changed, my maps are now checked for updates since the TF2 update last night. In this case, the server found an updated version of a map and reportedly added it to a download queue. But the map didn't actually download until I changed to it. This is what I got when I did:
Code:
changelevel workshop/486783441
[TF Workshop] Preparing map ID 486783441
[TF Workshop] New version available for map, download queued [ workshop/dr_wooden_5.ugc486783441 ]
[TF Workshop] Waiting for map download to complete [ workshop/dr_wooden_5.ugc486783441 ]
---- Host_Changelevel ----
L 07/24/2015 - 17:46:05: -------- Mapchange to workshop/dr_wooden_5.ugc486783441 --------
Executing dedicated server config file server.cfg
Set motd from file 'cfg/motd_default.txt'.  ('cfg/motd.txt' was not found.)
Set motd_text from file 'cfg/motd_text_default.txt'.  ('cfg/motd_text.txt' was not found.)
Executing server arena config file
'workshop/dr_wooden_5.ugc486783441.cfg' not present; not executing.
'config_arena.cfg' not present; not executing.
I don't know what could be causing your problem. My advice is to temporarily rename your addons folder so that you are essentially running a stock server, and see if your maps will load, then. If it proves that your problem is a TF2 thing, then you might want to email the HLDS mailing list, and then the TF team using the contact form a teamfortress.com.

Can you post your console output here? I am running SourceMod version 1.7.3-dev+5214.

In other news, it seems that updated workshop maps are being downloaded by servers, now.

AdmiralAnimE

Jul 24, 2015
I managed to get all maps again, it's downloading them fine if the map is not there and if I change the level to it. Now that I got the maps, I tried changing to one with rtv command. This is what I get, the server is trying to download it again and nothing happens.

L 07/24/2015 - 20:23:32: [SM] Changed map to "workshop/pl_corn_farm.ugc468307789"
[TF Workshop] Preparing map ID 468307789
[TF Workshop] Got updated information for map [ workshop/pl_corn_farm.ugc468307789 ]
[TF Workshop] Waiting for map download to complete [ workshop/pl_corn_farm.ugc468307789 ]

Second try: renamed the plugins folder, changed to the map with console command. Success, but when I try to connect I get "LOADING... Updating the Steam resources..." and again, nothing happens. In the console it says "client connected, userid validated".

Third try: removed only the map loader plugin. Changed level from console, success. On connecting - again "updating resources".

Fourth try: renamed the addons folder, changed map in console. Again "updating resources"...

So basically with or without sourcemod the map loads and I if i try to connect I get "updating resources". If I add the map loader plugin - the map doesn't load.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
We were having issues launching listen servers with our workshop maps yesterday and then started getting crashes trying to join certain workshop maps ran on a server, so I emailed Valve about it, got the following back today:

Thanks for the report. Listen servers currently have some issues with workshop maps -- including loading maps in your listen server and then attempting to join the same maps elsewhere. We're still working on improving things in the engine's map handling a good bit, which is part of why workshop maps are listed as beta and not exposed in the UI much yet.

For crashes where listen servers aren't involved, could you check if any .dmp files are being generated in Program Files/Steam/dumps (windows) or /tmp/dumps (linux)? I was not able to reproduce any issues with the mentioned maps outside of listen servers.

Sent them the dump files generated, so hopefully we can track things down!

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Why is failure so often associated with shit?

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Been running my test servers today with a new rotation of fresh workshop maps. Made the timelimit 1 minute and put two bots on them so it would go through each map in the rotation. Server was loaded with Turbine. When it came time to change map to a new workshop map, the server crashed. This happened both on my SourceMod server and stock server.

Also, The Trainyard server operator has stopped hosting workshop maps on its custom map server and has gone back to regular maps with FastDL.

Bit of a setback for workshop maps.

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
Couple updates...
Regarding the crashing bug we were having trying to load certain maps:
Target acquired. Brittle ancient BSP loading code from not know what compressions is. Just requires sufficient unluck to trigger.

The non-listen-server issues should be fixed in the next TF update -- or turned into new exciting issues. Thanks for the report & testing!

I also asked about the default voting system not working:
Yeah, the stock voting system currently doesn't work when workshop maps are involved -- this is known and on the to do list

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
Question: who at Valve did you email? I have some questions/bugs to report but I never seem to get an answer, not from the TF team nor individual TF team members.

AdmiralAnimE

Jul 24, 2015
This is not exactly workshop related but, is there a way to display end of map vote for the next map without running sourcemod plugins? The wiki says:

sv_vote_issue_nextlevel_allowed
Allow the next level to be determined by vote. Defaults to 1 (enabled). If called during a round, the map will change on round end. Not at the end of the timelimit for the map. Disabling this also disables the automatic end of map vote.

This is enabled in my server.cfg, but I don't see any vote before the map ends. Also sometimes when the map ends, the next loaded map is the same.. I am running workshop maps which thankfully run fine since the previous update, and also sourcemod without any map plugins.

Last edited:

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
Hi, Admiral.

I've looked on the web for information about the stock voting system coming up at the end of a map or round automatically but have found none. I'm not sure it's possible with the default SRCDS installation and suspect Valve are using a plugin on their servers.

I think you are better off asking on the HLDS mailing list, or in the SRCDS.com forum. With regards to the server switching to the same map, in an environment where workshop maps are on the rotation, I have experienced similar intermittent issues but haven't yet narrowed it down. The only thing I can suggest is experimenting with specifying a starting map in your server launch arguments. If you currently specify a map, then remove that from your command line. If you don't then try specifying a map.

worMatty

Repacking Evangelist
aa
Jul 22, 2014
I have updated the first post to reflect the current state of running Workshop maps on a server. With each substantial update to the Maps Workshop by Valve, more problems are fixed and we move closer towards a stable service without issues.

• Removed information about sv_setsteamaccount causing problems as this was supposedly fixed August 27th.
  • Removed the references to Powerlord's map synchronisation plugin, as it has been made redundant by new functionality introduced in a Valve update August 18th.
  • Added information about new parameter -ugcpath and new cvar tf_workshop_map_status
  • Added pictures