Tf2 map not compiling.

Dog.vtf

L1: Registered
Sep 2, 2017
I've been working on a map (near a1) and I need to test some stuff like cart movement and precipitation. But no matter how long I wait. (No legit I waited 1 hour and it did not load" .my compile log just sits there with 3 lines in it. Never opening tf2 to test the map

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Dog.vtf

Sep 2, 2017
Well, A Functional BSP will appear, (Without proper lighting for some reason) but I have to put it in the maps folder in the game files manually,
Usually (You should know this) The map would compile and then load the map ingame for you to look at. Well, it's not doing this. It's creating a BSP without proper lighting (There are lights in my map if you were gonna ask) and not starting the game up automatically and loading the map.

Hope that explains it.

Dog.vtf

Sep 2, 2017
It should be launching. But it gets stuck at this.
NdqO3xn.png
And it does not get past this.

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
It should be launching. But it gets stuck at this.
NdqO3xn.png
And it does not get past this.
That's the only thing appearing in your compile log? There's nothing behind that?

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
I would suggest pasting your compile log here http://www.interlopers.net/errors/ and see if there are any detections there.

It seems as if the compiler isn't running anything to actually perform the compile.

Have you tried running other maps? Maybe your .vmf is corrupted. Or, have you tried verifying your game cache?

Perhaps vvis / vrad isn't present in your tf directory, so run some diagnostics and get back to us

Da Spud Lord

Occasionally I make maps
aa
Mar 23, 2017
It would appear your map isn't actually being compiled then. Are you sure you have "Run BSP" set to "Yes"?

Tuaam

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 26, 2015
It would appear your map isn't actually being compiled then. Are you sure you have "Run BSP" set to "Yes"?
Actually, you have a pretty good point there.

Since you can check whether if certain parts of the compile process are being performed, maybe his compiler has most of the settings unchecked (VVIS, VVRAD, VBSP).

yLElz3x.png

Check to see if any of these options are unchecked on the left list.

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
The compiler window freezes and doesn't show progress even though in the background it will still be working.

What is likely happening here is that you're vvis is taking a long time. After each step of the compile the bsp file is written to, if you terminate it early you will be left with an incomplete map, and since lights is the last step that seems to be what is happening.

I would recommend reading up on func_detail and other vvis compile time optimisation in order to improve your compile time